Parent reviews for Lone Survivor

Brutal, powerful, ultimately moving true Navy SEAL story.

Parent of a 12 and 14 year old Written byAuctionmom January 12, 2014

Great movie for teenagers- but not all

We took our 12 and 14 year old sons to see this movie last night. I agree that the movie is gory and intense. There are some curse words which are appropriate, given the situation. From my teenager's perspective, he remarked that the director did not "hollywoodize" the content. It felt real from beginning to end. Training is not easy. War is not pretty. Good people die. In the face of a compromised mission, these seals had to grapple with ethical issues, such as whether to kill unarmed civilians and not leaving a man behind. In the face of all the violence, there are Afganis willing to risk their lives to help the Americans. The photo montage of the real folks who were lost in the mission is quite moving. I think this is a somber movie that is appropriate for teenagers, namely boys, about the realities of war. What brought me to tears was watching my 14 year old independently introduce himself to a Army vet in the parking lot as we were leaving the movie and thanking the gentlemen for his service.
Parent of a 14 and 16 year old Written byBret Friend January 17, 2014

Great movie!

I should start this review by saying that without hesitation I took both my 16 yr old son as well as my 14 yr old daughter. I had read the book, and knew there would be lots of shooting and blood. With that said, I feel that everything was handled appropriately and, honestly, was probably less horrific than what was portrayed in the book. The real positive I believe is the movie's ability to give a real perspective on the costs of keeping America free. My kids really took note of the pictures of the brave young men at the end of the movie. Although I think you have to know your kids and should discuss the emotions this film draws but all in all I highly recommend it for young people.

Adult Written byJames Durson July 25, 2014

A few important things

Its bloody and gory, but for anyone who's watched an action movie rated PG-13 or up is probably OK.

Parent Written byCharlesMcK April 4, 2016

Extremely Brutal

Within the first 30 minutes there is a partially offscreen view of a young man being dragged to a tree trunk and beheaded by a Talib. There are chunks of neck and blood all over the screen during this section. During the rest of the movie, a SEAL's finger is blown off and anothers ear is blown off. Near the end, the main character messily pulls a piece of shrapnel from his lower leg. There is blood everywhere during gun battles and almost another beheading which is stopped by a villager. There are around 65 uses of f*ck, 20 sh*t and lots of other swear words. Jesus, damn and stuff like that is also there but thats not swearing. Overall its extremely gripping, but brutal

Adult Written byjoshua martinez February 18, 2014

17 and up.

this drama movie lone survivor is a great drama movie based on a true story about our navy seals who goes on a mission in Afghanistan and goes horribly wrong stars with three actors Ben Foster, Mark Wahlberg, and Taylor Kitsch this movie is good enough for your older adults and parents you need to know that lone survivor has a lot of intense bloody war violence and constant strong language used.

Adult Written byDarkAgentE April 17, 2018

So powerful, Dammit!

This may not be the best war film, by any means, but Dammit! It certainly is the most powerfull! It's got great performances from everyone, and really hard hitting and brutal battle scenes. If you don't cry at the end, you are obviously a robot with no emotion! If you're looking for an incredibly hard hitting, brutal, and tragic war movie, check this out, it's worth your time.

Parent of a 8 year old Written bycyrus yt January 5, 2018

its bad

too bad it has swearing you should be 18 and up

Adult Written bySam Marrick November 19, 2017

Deadly match of King of the Hill

What could have easily been simple minded jingoistic hero worship is made into a human and taut survival tale about self sacrifice and brotherhood rather than firepower getting one out alive. There are moments of psychological tension that add moral wieght to the assignment and create drama that adds on top of the imposing violent threat. Characters may not seem terribly unique (they are real people) but they work well together in the story. Tbe opening mo tage shows what SEALS in training need to go thru to qualify yet its the next half hour that shows what will really bring them through a fight with unexpected odds against them. The bonding feels earnest amd the back and forth from command to the battle adds approptiate sense of desperate timeliness to the operation. Peter Berg of course shows his knack for hard hitting action and calamity but in this case also its consequence. Violence is intense and at times bloody but its mostly brief and survival oriented. There are veru crunchy painfull falls suffered by our protagonists. A head is chopped off offscreen, we see blood erupt up. There are numerous bloody images of our protagonists injuries though. Many f words throughout(100+).
Adult Written byleonard p. June 11, 2014

Good adaptaion

I just saw this movie after I read the book and it's not quite as good as the book which really gets into the details of the event behind it all which would be operation Redwing.

Adult Written byThe Adult Speaker April 15, 2014

Appropriate for 13

I took my 13 year old to see this movie, and I was uncomfortable taking my son to this movie as his father, however this movie moved my son and I. There was violence around halfway and on, but my 13 year old was not scared at all, I did not find the violence disturbing, there were some curses, but some were hard to hear because they were shouted, and were appropriate