A lot or a little?
The parents' guide to what's in this movie.
What parents need to know
- Parents say
- Kids say
What's the story?
Is it any good?
Talk to your kids about ...
- Families can talk about the movie's intense, brutal, bloody violence. What effect did it have? Did it seem realistic? Was it necessary in telling this story?
- How does this movie make the Navy SEALs look? Do they come across as warriors or regular people? Does it make you want to join them? Do you think that's the intention of the movie?
- Would you say that this movie is an anti-war movie or a pro-war movie, or somewhere in-between? Why?
- In theaters: December 27, 2013
- On DVD or streaming: June 3, 2014
- Cast: Ben Foster, Mark Wahlberg, Taylor Kitsch
- Director: Peter Berg
- Studio: Universal Pictures
- Genre: Drama
- Run time: 127 minutes
- MPAA rating: R
- MPAA explanation: strong bloody war violence and pervasive language
- Last updated: March 16, 2020
Our editors recommend
For kids who love true stories
Top advice and articles
Common Sense Media's unbiased ratings are created by expert reviewers and aren't influenced by the product's creators or by any of our funders, affiliates, or partners.
Streaming options powered by JustWatch