A lot or a little?
The parents' guide to what's in this movie.
What parents need to know
Parents need to know that, like Machete, Machete Kills attempts to re-create an intense, over-the-top "grindhouse" movie experience with gleefully excessive violence, sexuality, and language (though the energy seems to have flagged somewhat this time around). Violence includes tons of blood and gore, including a microwaved plasma bag that explodes and sprays all over a hospital room, plus multiple beheadings, slicings, guttings, and shootings, as well as fighting. Language is also very strong, with many uses of "f--k," "s--t," and "p---y." There's very little nudity, but viewers do see one sex scene and a woman wearing bottomless chaps, and there's some sexual innuendo. Plus, all the women in the movie are viewed as objects, dressed in sexy, revealing clothing (one even has a machine gun bra).
- Parents say
- Kids say
What's the story?
Is it any good?
Talk to your kids about ...
Families can talk about Machete Kills' intentionally shocking material. Why would the extreme violence of this film be considered entertaining? Is it meant to be taken seriously? How can you tell?
- Is Machete a heroic character? Is he meant to be seen as a role model? Do his actions have positive or negative effects?
- Are the women in this movie strong female characters, or are they stereotypes?
Do you think films like this only appeal to a certain audience? Who is that audience, and why are they drawn to material like this? Are the vintage '60s and '70s exploitation movies that this one was inspired by still relevant today?
- In theaters: October 11, 2013
- On DVD or streaming: January 21, 2014
- Cast: Amber Heard, Danny Trejo, Mel Gibson, Sofia Vergara
- Director: Robert Rodriguez
- Studio: Open Road Films
- Genre: Action/Adventure
- Run time: 107 minutes
- MPAA rating: R
- MPAA explanation: strong bloody violence throughout, language and some sexual content
For kids who love action
Our editors recommend
Top advice and articles
Common Sense Media's unbiased ratings are created by expert reviewers and aren't influenced by the product's creators or by any of our funders, affiliates, or partners.