Find the best for your family

See what's streaming, limit strong violence or language, and find picks your kids will love with Common Sense Media Plus.

Join now

Parent reviews for Maleficent: Mistress of Evil

Powerful queens go to war in intense, dark fantasy sequel.

Adult Written byJess_mac October 18, 2019
Adult Written bymoonman October 18, 2019

This sucks.

It's terrible. I loathe it.

Adult Written byTwo girls dad October 22, 2019

Marvel movie packaged for kids

Terrible us vs them cliche, constant dread and violence with very little redeeming narrative.

Parent of a 10-year-old Written byKaitis1Mom October 21, 2019

Maleficent: The Mistress of (All) Evil ?

Maleficent is beautifully done. It’s got a lot more fighting and violence than the first; it’s darker than the first. But the characters definitely have more depth to them. You see love and loyalty displayed more. No foul language; nothing sexually inappropriate. It is a very clean movie for families with older kids. I definitely wouldn’t take my little 4 year old niece- 8 year old nephew, possibly. My daughter- almost 11- and I absolutely loved it!! We plan on going back to see it again!

Adult Written byLcv October 19, 2019

No blood does not equal little violence

I just went to see Maleficent with my almost 10
year old and we both enjoyed it - entertaining and many themes to talk about (particularly the bond between mother and daughter). What struck me was the amount of violence given the reviews that mentioned it did not have much of it. Despite it not being gory, make no mistake- the movie is extremely violent. While there is little blood depicted and scenes are embedded within Disney Fantasy, there are (among other things) intense battles, a scene where a group of characters is locked in a church to await their death, and characters having to sacrifice themselves to save others.

Adult Written byczudak November 6, 2019

Don't See This Movie

I've never posted before but this movie is not for kids. It contains very disturbing themes including torture and genocide. All of which is glossed over at the end, and tied up with a pretty pink/blue/green bow. Incredibly irresponsible storytelling. Not PG. An R rating might have been more appropriate.

Adult Written byCamille 123 November 3, 2019

Not suitable for younger viewers

A great one for teenagers but not for the little ones!

Adult Written byTinyK October 20, 2019

Great Sequel!

Action packed movie with overall great messages. My 11 yo and 13 yo loved it. Very intense, many fight scenes and death...wouldn't recommended for younger children.

Parent of a 11-year-old Written byLioneltrain1 October 18, 2019

Great Movie

I took 2 eight year old girls and a 10 year old boy to see it and they all loved it. I even enjoyed it. I did not think it was too violent, I definitely recommend it.
Adult Written byMs. Karber October 18, 2019

Good for kids 7+

there is not much violence. The movie is great! my son liked it very much, definitely recommend it

Adult Written byGhostGirl_420 January 15, 2020

Awesome Movie!!!

I Loved This Movie So MUCH!!!
°•○●~☆♡☆♡☆♡☆♡°•○●

Adult Written byManAfterGodsHeart January 11, 2020

Good vs Evil

Mostly good vs Evil. I prefer to see my wife's cleavage.

Adult Written byLunaP November 25, 2019

Fairy gas chambers?

There's a scene when the fae are locked into a church & a red powder with iron is repeatedly shot out of a pipe organ killing several fairies over a long period of time. I really didn't expect to be reminded of the holocaust in a Disney movie and the purpose was the genocide of all fairies.
Adult Written bySephiroth7 November 16, 2019

SPOILERS This movie IS NOT for young kids

Overall a good movie, but there are a few extremely dark scenes that push my rating for this film above the PG-13 mark. While not a PG-13 movie, I feel that the violence level was certainly enough (yes, even without too much blood) to be a PG-13 movie. So a list of my concerns.
*Genocide scene presented. I am an adult, I almost left the theater because of this scene because it gave me 'gas chamber' vibes. Yes, it was that disturbing.
* "Show me" scene. No, nothing sexual, more genocide here. Ingrith asks the fae researcher to show her the effects of the crimson powder. The fae researcher is hesitant. This is a very dark thematic element for a PG film.
*Contain your animal, or I will. This is a sudden moment, a show of
*SPOILERS DO NOT READ ON IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THE MOVIE*
*a main character appears to die, via being shot with a crimson powder infused arrow. Sad moment, made this adult male get teary eyed, so kids will most likely be this way too.

Overall, well done. Predictable though.

Adult Written byRboyer November 15, 2019

Not a good movie for kids

I was literally disgusted with this movie. Gone are the days of wholesome Disney days. There are intense (and way too long) scenes of violence and in fact the bulk of this movie is angry. AFter one such scene , I heard a very young child in the movie theater yell "kill her, break her neck"....not really the response I would home a movie would motivate a child to have. I went to the movie as an adult but if I had young children with me I would have probably left.

Adult Written bybirdseedshirt November 11, 2019

Great sequel, but too dark for the younger viewer

My 5-year-old LOVES the first Maleficent, so when the sequel came out, we were in. However, now having watched it with her, I would not do it again. There is more violence and many dark themes that are just too mature for younger kids. I marked it as 10 and up, but even for a 10-year-old, there may be some conversations to have around some of the darker themes.

Disney was able to get a PG rating by having the characters die in a very specific, non-gory way. But the pre-text of genocide that runs beneath the whole film is very dark indeed.

Adult Written byJoseph B. November 9, 2019

Horribly violent while visually stunning

Film is misrated - should be at least pg-13. Violence, war scenes, genocide, emotional manipulation, death and dying up-close, terror, humiliation and mockery, but they all make nicey-nice at the end, so it's OK. Like "Avatar", visual beauty and accomplishment in animation should not be an excuse for showing this to children.

Adult Written bymarie1234 November 9, 2019

Just as good as the original!

This movie checked all of my boxes! Usually Disney sends out pretty bad sequels, but " Maleficent Mistress of Evil " was not one of them! It gets a bit violent at the end, but other than that it's the same levels of scariness, and themes as the first one. Angelina Jolie SLAYED Maleficent once more, and Elle Fanning was amazing as Aurora. The special effects were on point and the music was perfection. The story-line is a bit more complicated than the first one so kids under 10 might not understand the conflicts and why the characters are doing what they're doing. The only thing I would watch out for with younger kids is the tiny bit of blood in the war scene. Other than that, kids over 9 or 10 should be able to handle this movie. Five stars, definitely worth watching!

Adult Written byAnne F. November 3, 2019

Sooooo good!

I didn’t think it would follow up it’s first movie as well but it did not disappoint! It was amazing go see it.

Adult Written byC77 November 1, 2019

It's ok, but doesn't support first movie

We loved the first movie and looked forward to this one. The characters all changed in personality. Aurora is pouty and never happy, Phillip is just kind of there, and Maleficent's character is wobbly and weak. There are so many unanswered questions we had leaving the theatre, which to me speaks of plot holes. I would watch again at home, but we won't add this to our personal library like the first one, which was way better.