All parent member reviews for Mamma Mia!

Parent of a 5 and 8 year old Written bykarinajohnson November 27, 2011

a fun movie to watch with your kids

This is fine for most kids. Yes, they do swear and it has sexual behavior, but most kids won't even realize it. It is a fun movie.
Adult Written byhelenmirrenrox May 27, 2011

Mamma Mia!!

This is a nice movie but however, there is some iffy stuff I had to watch out for. I watched this with my 12 year old and I looked up a few times. 12 is a bit iffy to watch at. 13 should be good. If you are 14+ it is fine. There is some sexy stuff in this movie. The whole point of the movie is "Sophie" doesn't know who her father is because her mom slept with 3 different men. There are several uses of "knocked up" and "You got any?".. In one scene a man's butt is showing in front of a lady (FULLY). In a nother scene a woman slides down a mans waist and ties a towel around his 'area'--You can see he 'felt' it--this scene is naughty and it carries on for a few seconds, also in this scene you see a bag full of "toys" (breif). There are several suggestive dance moves. Some lyrics in the songs are mild, but there are refrances such as- "Do your thing", "not to old for sex", "I had a few little love affairs" "Your a teaser you turn them on", "We can go walking" "It was the time of our flower power"---Any way there are some kissed to. One on a beach that last for a VERY short time. 2 passionate kisses between Donna and Sam (one while being only half dressed. And there are 2 meadium kisses between Sophie and Ski. There is a short romantic kiss between Rosie and Bill. Some flirting is on a beach, a few love songs, hand holding, carrying, hugging, sex talk, and some bare chests and such. This movie has little violence, a woman falls from a balcony into a man's arms, a fish with teeth is shown and there is a minor earthquake with LITTLE distruction. As for swears, sl*t, crap and ass- is as bad as it gets. There are some drinks, and a man smoking is shown once. Some people have a party at the bar and are tierd the next morning.
Parent of a 10 year old Written byfarmertom January 14, 2010

Enjoyed it myself but wouldn't recommend it to kids under 18.

I actually really liked the movie. I found myself humming the tunes for at least a week afterward. It made me want to go to Greece and spend a few weeks being lazy in the sun. I'm not a huge fan of musicals but sometimes enjoy them. This was a very entertaining one. BUT........As a parent, I feel the role model is terrible. One summer the lead actress has a fling with three guys and gets pregnant. I don't like it when single mothers that make poor choices are glamorized. I applaud their effort is raising kids but think that most of the time they made a choice. It isn't like they slipped on a wet rock and got knocked up. And this movie sort of does put the fact that she was a single parent up on a pedestal. So basically, I don't want my son or daughter watching it but I would gladly see it again myself and I'm sure I will.
Adult Written byChristian reveiwer October 31, 2009

Not approriate for any age

Some friends said that this movie would be a great family movie. NO NO No... I can't believe the vulgarity of this movie. I love Abba but I mean common, making most of their songs Sexy and vulgar dance to them. When the song Gimme gimme gimme came on the brides friends started taking her so called fathers' and poll dancing with them and it was just inappripriate. DON'T WATCH this movie if you want to ruin Abba's songs!!!
Parent of a 8 year old Written bySammy568 August 5, 2009

A fun movie, but be ready to distract your tween

Most of the sexual references are subtle and go right over my daughter's head, although I do distract her if I know something questionable is coming up. The fun music is what my daughter really enjoyed. I don't think for one moment that she's going to emulate what she sees on the screen. I've raised her better than that.
Parent Written bynicolasconnault February 25, 2010

This movie would have been absolutely fantastic without the permeating thread of sexuality that runs all the way through it. In fact, it's difficult to extract any strong message from the movie except: "Have fun and sex, don't let people tell you what to do". What a loss of an opportunity to insert very positive messages! The performance of Meryl Streep is absolutely mind-boggling, she portrays her character more than perfectly.
Adult Written bychangster.eminem February 8, 2010

Watch it now or regret it!

I loved it. It was an amazing musical, although I must say that the broadway was better. But this was amazing!
Parent Written byStanleypuss November 4, 2012

Mamma Mia!

This was one of my favorite musicals. It has lots of positive role models and messages. It has a little kissing but not so much you should be worried. It has a little bad language like a**, c**p, and fri***n. Drinking is highly shown throughout the movie. It has lots of music and a big movie spirit. Their is SOO much bickering. Know your child, keep them away from tis movie if they are at least under four. I do not know why it is rated PG-13 but if you have a six year old child he/she can watch without you!
Parent of a 12 year old Written bypicklesmom September 29, 2010

It's the music we want - just get the sound-track

A lot of questionable sexual references. The storyline itself is a little hard to explain to a child. I previewed it for my 12 year old and gave it a thumbs down. It isn't even that good of a movie.
Parent of a 5 and 7 year old Written byMangoFlamingo December 15, 2009

not for younger kids in my opinion..

I have to say I didn't love this movie. My best friend recommended it because her 3 year old LOVES this movie. I'm glad I had sense enough to watch it soon myself because I don't feel I'm ready to explain to my 5 year old what a sl*t is (Meryl calls herself that). She also says something about not letting some ejaculate control the decisions she makes with her daughter. I have serious reservations about showing this movie to my 5 year old now that I've seen it.
Parent of a 9, 12, and 14 year old Written bygddown October 29, 2009

Not a great message for kids of any age

I know it's increasingly becoming reality, but the movie portrays a highly dysfunctional family as light and largely problem free. It's as if the daughter could follow in her mother's sexual footsteps and expect a carefree life... That said, ABBA's tunes are as catchy as ever.
Parent of a 4 and 6 year old Written byCityMama June 17, 2009

My 7yo loves this movie

It is a happy, feel-good movie and a family favorite. Of most concern to us was the drinking and smoking, but we love to have parties so it's nothing the kids haven't seen before (we don't smoke).
Parent of a 6 and 7 year old Written byRBCS May 25, 2009

Excellent Musical...

Is a great movie....! My girls 5 and 7, love the music! Children at this age don 't get the dialogs!
Parent of a 2, 7, and 11 year old Written bylittlekitty January 14, 2009

Fun movie!

I'm tired of reading the judgmental reviews of some parents of this film. I took my 8 and 11 year old daughters to see it. The PG13 rating comes from "implied" sexual situations (re: someone got pregnant 20 years ago after sleeping around with 3 men in a short period of time and had a baby out of wedlock. That child is now 20 and about to marry). This movie is all about the music and it is great! I haven't had so much fun at a movie EVER! My daughters have seen and heard worse on TV commercials! I am quite old-fashioned but not so much to think that they don't know about kids born out of wedlock. Forget your prudish judgements about mistakes people may have made and just enjoy this movie, the soundtrack, the sing-along, etc. The implied situations will go right over the heads of young kids and they will love the music.
Parent Written byloldoge333 June 23, 2015

Awesome!

People, stop being so sensitive. I think 13 year olds can take "ass" and some axial inneudo. Mamma Mia! Is awesome, and fine for kids if you think they'll be able to take this TERRIBLE use of ASS and SEXUAL INNUEDO you see in EVERYDAY LIFE.
Adult Written bylmtrav May 5, 2013

Here I go again...

I've seen the stage version of this musical twice and the movie numerous times. I loved it the first time I saw it, but it starts to lose appeal after a few more times. The same goes with the stage version. The second time I saw it, I found it boring and repetitive. It is a pretty funny story and the ABBA songs fit and make sense where they are sung in the story. The whole story involves a young woman about to be married who is unsure of who her dad is so that may turn a few parents off, but honestly, as central as it is to the plot, it really isn't made that obvious or touched on that much. It likely will go straight over the head of younger kids, and it isn't anything most kids 11 or 12 haven't seen before or are unaware of. If you're up for a fun and lighthearted comedy, this movie is an excellent option.
Adult Written byJEDI micah October 26, 2012

The greatest musical film of all time!!!

Normally, these types of movies aren't really up my ally, but this one is actually not that bad. Of course, the real reason why I like this movie is because of ABBA! Who doesn't love ABBA?! This movie is great for mothers and daughters, even men may like it (if they're ABBA fans)! Not only does it have ABBA songs, it has a love story, funny characters, cheesy dialogue, and beautiful scenes of Greece! Some sexual innuendo and some drinking may be a concern about this movie, though. But the ABBA songs and 1970's dance moves are what this movie is all about! One disappointment is that one character (an actor who once played James Bond) is not a good singer! That's gonna be an eye-rolling move for parents!
Parent of a 12 year old Written byThe Benevolent ... May 17, 2011
Parent of a 3 and 17 year old Written bypilgrimpoet March 12, 2011

Sheer delight

This movie is beautifully filmed, and it seems as if the whole cast is absolutely having a ball. While yes, there is a mystery as to the young bride's real father, the message of inclusion and the importance of honoring love is timeless and wonderful for kids to learn and their parents to remember.
Parent of a 5 and 7 year old Written bymanicmamma January 7, 2011