All parent member reviews for Man of Steel

Adult Written byDaBoysMama June 14, 2013

Too Long, Too Dark....Too Bad

Super-sized disappointment for my 11 year old son. He had always loved the hero, but had to dig through the darkness in this particular rendition to even begin enjoy his triumph. No, there's not a lot of blood and gore...but the body count, for anyone who's paying attention, was seriously over-the-top. Really, Mr. Snyder? We're not supposed to notice the millions who die as skyscrapers full of people crumble to the ground because three minor characters survive the destruction of Metropolis? Repetitively, in the last third of the movie, hero and villain crash together amid cataclysmic explosions and primal screams...and at some point, it just gets old. Too bad, we really wanted to like this one.
Adult Written byJEDI micah June 14, 2013

BEST.....SUPERMAN........EVER!!!

The most powerful superhero in the universe...is back!!! And he has never looked so awesome than before! Man of Steel is definitely the best Superman movie ever! Excellent cast members, simple good vs evil story, and breath-taking special effects - there is probably not one person out there that would refuse to see this! This is very unlike the old Superman films, but that's ok. Cause this one beats all of them! Some moments could be intense and scary for some young kids, so this is best saved for teens. Once again, BEST SUPERMAN EVER!!!
Parent Written byMommy of Four June 15, 2013

Loved how clean it was!

FINALLY! A super hero movie without sexual content! My kids are able to handle PG 13 violence, but I always had to watch Iron Man and X Men alone and fast forward scenes for my kids. As a Christian mom, this is the first super hero movie that I've felt completely comfortable letting my kids (9, 13, 14) watch the whole way through. There was one preview that had 1 second of sexual suggestion. I know other people are mentioning little things like kissing and butt slapping, but they were so minor. Other than that, we LOVED this movie! Henry Cavill was charming! And the fight scenes were so much FUN!
Parent of a 9 year old Written byMaw2 June 21, 2013

Disrespectful or not?

Good review above except you totally missed the part about all the references to deity. The constant comparisons of this man of steel to the Savior was disgusting. I was offended by the movie comparing the two. The fact that The MofS made sure we all knew he is 33 and that he had come to save mankind. He had come for a special purpose and on and on.. I did not like it and I think it gave everyone the idea the Christ was just another fictitious super hero. I also remember when Christopher Reeves once said I never drink alcohol I do not tell lies etc he was still of Good Moral Character, and a great example for young people to follow and try to emulate . But in this one the mofs was seen drinking beer and watching the games just another way of bringing him down to the level of most common natural men. Not an outstanding example. It was confusing and degrading.
Adult Written byWill loves movies June 15, 2013

Finally a good Superman movie

Man of Steel is in my opinion the best Superman movie of all time. I am not that big of a Superman fan but this movie made me one. The positive messages in this movie are that of fathership. Both Jor-El (Superman's biological dad) and Jonathan Kent (Superman's earth dad) both love Superman and want the best for him. There are a few positive role models: SPOILER: Jonathan Kent sacrifices himself to get other people to safety in a tornado. Superman is also a role model because he wants to help people at all times.There is some drinking, Clark works at a bar and does drink a beer. There is some product placement like a Sears store. There is not a lot of language in this movie but they do abbreviate the f-word by just saying the f letter followed by -ing. As for the sexual content: Superman's biological mother shows off cleavage, a waitress gets slapped on the rear by a rude customer, and Clark and Lois kiss twice in one scene. Now for the violence: the opening scene of the movie when the planet Krypton is destroyed is quite intense, also Spoiler: when Jonathan Kent is killed by the twister, and the final battle is quite intense with multiple people dying. If you thought that New York in Marvel's the Avengers was total destruction, Metropolis as well as Smallville gets leveled. Spoiler: General Zod gets his neck broken by Superman because after Superman pleaded with Zod not to kill a family Zod does not stop so Superman is left with no choice. This leaves Superman very upset and the whole entire final battle is quite intense. This movie is a must see for any Superman fan as well as any comic book fans. Thanks for reading.
Parent Written bySpidermanFan1993 June 15, 2013

Superman Has Returned

I would like to point out that I am not that big of a Superman fan. With that being said I went to see this movie because it looked interesting. I was not disappointed. This is one of the best super hero movies I have ever seen. This movie is not as good as the Avengers; however, it is a family wholesome movie that is a must see. The movie does have some bad points. For some people, the violence in this movie would be unbearable such as seen metropolis get demolished in the final battle. Their is some sexual content in this movie such as the following: Amy Adams makes a sexual comment about a certain part of the body, Superman's real mom shows some cleavage in a dress she wears, a man slaps a women twice on the backside, and we see Superman kissing Lois in one scene. Also their is some alcohol consumption by Superman as well as seeing superman get beer poured on him in a bar. The language was very mild in the movie and not frequently used throughout. All in all this is a must see movie for everyone.
Parent of an infant, 6, and 8 year old Written byMomma comma July 16, 2013

Awful

Way to scary. Even to scary for me. Way to much action. Ihop is shown but not a big deal. A man does say f-ing. Not a big deal. The violence influenced my decision. You may be thinking this is why I said it was bad, but it was just bad in general. Thank god I did not take my kids. My husband wanted to see it. He hated it too. Superman does have a great goal to help people so it has people, but while he did it he could have made a good movie. Amy Adams was the only thing I enjoyed
Parent Written byCranberoo June 19, 2013

Disappointing as a woman and a comic geek

I was not thrilled with the way the movie handled violence. Many people die in one particular scene, yet the characters do little to show shock or discomfort in the presence of so much death. In fact, Superman and Lois kiss and exchange banter in the ruins of a city filled with dead or dying people. Also, I was disappointed at the lack of a female role model; out of the 8 women that appear in the film, all but one were saved by a man at least once. Many of the human women become paralyzed with fear and require a man to push them out of the way of danger. In fact, the only competent women seems to be one of the villain's lackeys. Even the female captain of the Air Force cannot seem to overcome sexism; her lines consist of questions that a 3rd grader could answer and statements that a flighty 12 year old girl would make about a crush.
Parent of a 8 and 12 year old Written byjasminesmom June 15, 2013

ok

Glad I didn't take my 8yr old due to the violence. Otherwise, it was a good movie for ages 12 & up.
Parent Written byizzycoffe June 24, 2013

This is how a Superman movie should be!

Man of Steel is a really good entretaining movie, probably the best superhero flick of 2013. It's full of non-stop well done action and the history is way better than other Superman movies, the only thing I didn't like was the General Zod acting, otherwise I totally recommend it. It should be ok for kids 10 and up, but know your child, it could be intense for some.
Adult Written bychristian2011 June 20, 2013

Best Superman Yet. Also a great Father's Day movie experience.

Man of Steel is directed by Zack Snyder, the same one who directed the Dark Knight trilogy, so this can tell you that it's going to be a major blockbuster hit, and it was. The tone isn't as dark as the Dark Knight movies. The violence is quite intense and highly stylized when it occurs, especially when Superman faces Zod and his henchmen - alot of destruction and peril throughout when it occurs. There's two very sad and shocking death scenes of important characters (spoilers), which can upset some viewers. It also reveals Superman's home planet and how his ancestors thrived, which is very interesting. Language isn't a big deal - a very few uses of d*mn, h*ll, a*s, b*tch, and d**k. There's no sex in this movie, except for a few affectionate kiss scenes. Young teens and up will definitely enjoy this film, especially the male croud, and it's 100x better than the 2006 Superman film, believe me.
Parent Written byLSU Mom June 15, 2013

The Usual PG-13 Violence and Less Language, But Not Worth the Time

Far less dark and brooding than The Dark Knight installments, Man of Steel is nonetheless almost as disquieting (and uncomfortable, possibly due to the grossly extended length -- easily could have been 20-25 minutes shorter). Costner and Lane are the two sole standouts of the entire film. There is an expected level of PG-13 violence, and thankfully a much smaller dose of language. If you're a Superman fan, all of this movie's shortcomings are probably forgiven, if not outright strengths, instead. I am not a fan of any comics, but Marvel's Avengers and The Dark Knight series are in my opinion very entertaining films. I also enjoyed Man of Steel director's "300," (although certainly not for children, in my opinion), but just could not get on board for this movie. So odd to like all of the actors in a myriad of projects, as well as the director, but see a movie come up this short.
Educator and Parent Written byHoosier Mama of two July 2, 2013

WAY too violent!

Super super violent! It felt like 911 re-enacted at times in addition to hand to hand combat that includes twisting people's necks on two occasions. Are we so desensitized to violence that we are OK with 12 and 13 year olds being exposed to this level of chaos and destruction? I had to cover my eyes most of the time. The violent scenes went on forever! Too bad since the acting and story line were quite good!
Parent Written byShivom Oza July 14, 2013

Man Of Steel (2013) Review by Shivom Oza – Just Falls Short Of ‘Super’

Every superhero franchise has gotten an overhaul ever since Christopher Nolan's Batman trilogy (Batman Begins, The Dark Knight and The Dark Knight Rises) tasted success. This time, it's Superman's turn. 300 and Watchmen director Zack Snyder is at the helm of this story, co-written by David S. Goyer and Nolan. The trailer of Man Of Steel has generated a lot of hype among the audiences. Let's see if the film is worth all of it! Man Of Steel gets a lot of things right. It mixes up the dark elements (which we associate with the recent Batman films) within the commercial space wonderfully. The screenplay and the dialogues are also a good mix of cheesy and hard-hitting. Where the film falters is the length, the casting of the principal villain Zod and the never-ending, repetitive final face-off between Superman and his nemeses. However, it is a fine film. Trailer flattered to deceive a little bit, but then you all are going to watch it anyway. So, I must stop the ranting. As planet Krypton is nearing destruction, Jor-El (Russell Crowe) and Lara Lor-Van (Ayelet Zurer), send their biological son, Kal-El (Henry Cavill), to Earth to carry their race forward. While Jor-El and Lara Lor-Van do face resistance from Krypton's military commander, General Zod (Michael Shannon) (who has now turned hostile, and planned a coup against the establishment), Kal-El does get transported to Earth eventually. Zod, along with his team of mercenaries, is caught, and is sentenced to spend all eternity in the Phantom Zone, an eternal living void. Kal-El, who finds himself in a different environment altogether, struggles to adapt to the human world during his childhood. However, while growing up (with the name given by his adopted parents Jonathan Kent (Kevin Costner) and Martha Kent (Diane Lane), Clark Kent), he realizes the significance of the superpowers that he has been bequeathed from his place of origin. Kal-El/Clark Kent is rechristened once more (SUPERMAN!), when he puts on his suit, and readies to wage a battle against Zod, who successfully managed to escape the Phantom Zone. The first-half of the film (setting of the basic premise, the marvellous special effects in the Krypton sequence, Kal-El inadvertently showing-off his superpowers, the wonderful conversations between him and his adopted father, the introduction of Amy Adams, and to top-it-up Hans Zimmer's enchanting score) is terrific. The film, especially in the first hour-and-a-half, wonderfully balances out the quirkiness of a commercial superhero film and the seriousness of a coming-of-age story. It is in the latter half, when the film really begins to drag. The final face-off, involving a lot of hand-to-hand combat and innumerable explosions, between Superman and his nemeses lasts for almost an hour. While the action and the special effects are brilliant, the repetitiveness of this never-ending last act does mar the impact, a trifle! The dialogues of the film, especially the ones involving Kal-El and his two fathers (biological and adopted), are well-written and performed. Watch out for those scenes! The highlight of the film is our superhero's bravado! There's a scene in which Zod is threatening Kal-El's adopted mother Martha. At this point, the man in the blue suit swoops in and beats the evil commander up to smithereens, while warning him to not threaten his mother. For the lack of a better word, such scenes are absolutely filmy, and manage to keep your interest alive! The one major downside to the film is the runtime. With a shorter duration, the film could have been much better. Not bereft of flaws, but entertaining enough. Shivom Oza
Adult Written byTimTheTVGuy June 29, 2013

Epic movie.

I love Man of Steel. It is really action packed and the graphics are GOLD. There is no downside to Man of Steel. It is officially the best Superman of all time.
Adult Written bythor odinson June 21, 2013

Epic movie

Man of steel is simply the very best cinecomic ever seen: perfects actors, perfect scene, perfect fight (much better than the avengers) and perfect costumes. It's the Superman movie we long waited
Parent of a 13 year old Written byBig Time Mom July 6, 2013

Over-the-top violence and destruction

While I could appreciate a different take on the Superman story, I was very disappointed in the level of violence which, especially towards the end, seemed to be the main point of the film. Without knowing the original story, it was hard for my 13 1/2 year old daughter to understand many of the classic Superman references in the film, and her take-away was just an impression of violence. As I recall, in the older films and TV series, Superman did his best to avoid hurting innocent bystanders when fighting the "bad guy," but in this film he seemed often unconcerned that his actions to stop the villain often led to huge destruction, massive explosions of entire blocks of the city, etc. While the film-viewer does not actually see any innocent bystanders get hurt, it only stands to reason that if an entire borough is decimated, people are killed. Superman is seemingly oblivious to this, except to save Lois Lane, of course. The final fight scene went on for an eternity and seemed to serve no purpose other than to feed the director''s and/or audience's "need" for gratuitous violence. One merit of the film is that the underlying storyline of the struggles Clark had as a young boy adapting to Earth's atmosphere and to being different. The director does a great job portraying the sensory overload Clark experienced. One could draw parallels to the experience of children who suffer from sensory integration disorder...and yet ironically, this is NOT a film I would recommend for a child who has SID.
Parent of a 9 and 13 year old Written byfastraxsg August 19, 2013

too much violence

quite disappointing. did not focus on bonding and getting to know the characters but too much violence to the point it got boring. humor and romance was weak.
Adult Written bykipwalker44 January 8, 2015

Intriguing plot, but a bit too repetitive on action sequences

Educator and Parent of a 1, 2, 4, 6, and 14 year old Written bySuperherofan May 18, 2014

Great movie

For language hell ,da-- and one sh-t. For violence superman was forced to kill the bad guy. For sex just a kiss. So it's appropriate for 9 up ,and if you can't handle this stuff then let them see it.