All parent member reviews for Marie Antoinette

Parent Written by915072 May 13, 2013

Parent of a 1 and 9 year old Written bySteffauri516 March 12, 2012

Creative take on history, stunning costumes

As a historical fashion junkie, I probably enjoyed the movie for the dresses alone! I have two kids, 8 and 1, so obviously, they wouldn't hold interest in a movie like this, nor would I let them see it. There is nothing too graphic or edgy in the movie, but I'd say that for some of it's content, like the half-shown, half-implied sex scenes, brief references to drugs and lots of drinking, I'd say kids 14 and older.
Adult Written byFreegirl405 July 25, 2010

Ick.
Adult Written bydakritree April 9, 2008

Adult Written bytrolololoderp May 18, 2012

Older kids will have a better appreciation, but no objectionable content for mature teens

I saw it for the first time and didn't understand it. Hated it. Then I watched it again and felt a greater connection to Marie's character. Being more mature the second time around, I realized that Sofia Coppola wasn't trying to make a perfect period movie about a perfect queen. She exposes the pressures put on Marie and conveys the blur of emotions she experienced during her short-lived, adolescent reign with a reasonable degree of historical accuracy. Much better film for older kids (17, 18?) who will understand how being a teenager and having virtually nobody to turn to as a positive role model can lead you down the wrong path. As an adolescent, I could identify with poor Marie during the movie, but I can definitely see how anyone younger with less 'life experience' would find this disconcerting, or frankly, boring.
Adult Written byconfettie April 9, 2008

Great performance by K. Dunst!!!

It was OK. I didn't like the ending, but it kept me gessing at what was going to happen throughout the movie. In general I thought it was a good movie and well filmed.