Parent reviews for Mary and Max

Mary and Max Poster Image

It is a great movie but..

We thought this was a movie about a man and a girl we watched but there was a scene where mary was asking ''how many wifes do you have how many girlfriends have you've had sex?'' My children didin't understand but they ignored it also there was this scene where mary was about to commit suicide with a lamp and a very weird song my kids got scared a little but at the end they liked the movie there was also a scene where her crush went with his best friend and got married with his best friend THE MOVIE IS ALSO HILARIOUS SPOILERS!: MY KIDS CRIED WHERE THE SCENE THAT MAX died you can watch it depends on your kid

Raunchy awful movie.

Not for families whatsoever.

Great film, dark comedy, okay for older not overly sensitive kids

I watched this with my son, he is 12 nearly 13. The themes were heavy going, depression, suicide and addiction. However I felt that this was an opportunity to talk to my son about these issues and about compassion for others who are suffering. I’m glad I watched it with him, I had to pause it and explain a few things. There are some sexual references which is a little uncomfortable but nothing he hasn’t heard elsewhere I’m sure. The overall message of the film was positive and I felt my son was mature enough to deal with it, I appreciate some 12 year olds may not be. Language was tame, brief references to prostitutes and condoms. References to naked people rubbing themselves together to make babies. Quite a few character deaths. Darkly funny and touching but not a sickly-sweet kids movie.

Mary and Max was not for kids

i think Mary and Max was a amazing movie but it was not for kids because it has lots of raunchy humor marys grandfather tells mary babies come from the bottom of beers a dog is seen humping a dog max draws a woman with boobs on the wall and then maxs mom slaps him max said he used to work at a condom factory but that he has never wore a condom in a imagine spot a guy and a girl character rub up against eachother naked and max is seen fully nude uncensored theres some dark humor a mime gets crushed by a air conditioner max acidentally kills his fish in a bunch of diffrent ways a guy is in court who killed all his freinds at his suprise birthday party it deals with some heavy themes like having aspergers syndrome atheism and suicide and its very vilonte a fish bites off a guys legs and there seen bleeding from the stumps with that being said i dont recommend it for anyone under the age of 16

Dark, funny and very very good

Covers topics some may find hit a nerve, but does so with a delicate touch. Made a 14 year old shed a tear, and laugh.

To Harrypotterluva

This is not a kid's movie. If you go into it expecting that, you clearly don't understand that animation is just a medium, not a deciding factor for ratings. Secondly, this movie is NOT that sexual. You exaggerate immensely proving that oversensitive kids shouldn't be writing reviews. Anyway, this is a brilliant film, very well-written with a very good story. Highly recommended.

Darkly Cute

Parents should know that this film does deal with very mature themes, such as death/suicide, mental illness, and dark depictions of childhood innocence. That aside, anyone fifteen and over should DEFINITELY see this film. It is a brilliant romp through childhood and mental instability. I myself have Asperger syndrome, so I really felt for Max with his troubling events through life. Trust me when I say this film is hilarious as it is heartrending. If you have to show one film to your mature teen, show them Mary and Max.