Kid reviews for Mary Poppins Returns

Blunt is a delight in sweet, nostalgic, toe-tapping sequel.

Teen, 14 years old Written bySlytherin Queen December 21, 2018

Amazing! Better than the original, in my opinion

This movie was incredible. I would even go as far as to say it was better than the original Mary Poppins. I am a musical theater nerd and performer, and I thought this movie was stupendous. There are a bunch of new and catchy songs and Lin-Manuel Miranda and Emily Blunt did amazing as the stars in the show. Everything was executed perfectly. It is supposed to be set 20ish years after the end of the first Mary Poppins. The story follows Michael Bank's children. It is amazing with catchy songs, great actors and new (and old) faces. There is no swearing and no violence. It is a breath of fresh air compared to all the movies out lately with a bunch of swearing and bombs going off, etc... Overall, if you haven't seen this movie, I recommend going to your nearest theater and buying tickets straight away!

Teen, 14 years old Written byMagicMaster125 December 22, 2018

Practically Perfect in Every Way

I love Mary Poppins. So I was going to like this movie. I think the soundtrack is great, althrough don't expect any of the classic songs from the first movie, other than as background music. The movie is clearly made with love and I almost think it's better than the original.if your a fan of the 1964 movie, and want to revisit this world, definitely worth a watch

Teen, 15 years old Written byOttbhorses December 23, 2018

Mary Poppins Returns was Disappointing

This movie was so disappointing :( I expected way more because ya know.. it’s Mary Poppins! In my opinion, they went way overboard with animations. As a girl who loves the original Mary Poppins, this was hard to watch. I’m disappointed in Disney for this movie. And they only used original background music twice throughout the entire movie, which really saddened my soul. I mean if you have kids, this would be a great movie to take them to. I will admit, Emily Blunt did a great job playing Mary Poppins, and the singing was pretty good! There’s no swearing or violence
Teen, 13 years old Written bymatthewm_06 December 22, 2018

Wow

Wonderful! I was not such a fan of the first movie, so I had very low expectations for this one, but just.....WOW! Blunt was fun, sassy, and energetic in all the right ways. The musical numbers were also more fun this time around, and the visuals were just incredible! A must see for everyone.

Teen, 13 years old Written byACMS December 31, 2018

This movie is alright to watch once, but you will not want to watch it again.

This movie pretty closely follows the book, "Mary Poppins Comes Back", but has a much darker feeling in it that was completely absent in the book. The evil bank manager in human and animal form would be quite creepy to young(er) children. Emily Blunt was a fairly good Mary Poppins, in my opinion. She could be a little more emotional, but her performance is not a problem. There is sexy dancing in the cartoon world in the bowl, and inappropriate references in the song she sings at the same time. This part was very out of place compared to the rest of the movie, which was decent. This scene ups my age rating because young children would notice nothing wrong with this and get used to this inappropriate behavior. If you get skip this part, then it is for younger ages, but very young children will be frightened and bored throughout this very long movie. The character Michael Banks was very poorly cast. He seemed very fake during the scenes of emotion over his late wife, and his sister, Jane Banks, was also rather forced , as others have pointed out. This movie is an excuse to go to the movie theater, but otherwise is just too poor quality and too long to watch. ( However, the Disney magic was wonderful in several scenes, which may be a reason to watch this.)
Teen, 13 years old Written bystephaniefisher101 December 22, 2018

PRATICALLY PERFECT IN EVERY WAY

my nana introduced me to Mary Poppins when I was 3 years old. i’ve never stopped loving it. I fell in love with the musical, and now I’ve fallen in love with the sequel movie! I am a theater kid, and Mary Poppins is the reason I wanted to start to sing, act, and dance. so obviously, this movie is a big part of my life. I was really eager to see what the new movie was about, and how it was going to be. As I stated, since I’m a theater kid I absolutely love Lin-Manuel Miranda. He created my favorite musical Hamilton, and I was over the moon that he was in this cast. I am kind of disappointed that Julie Andrews (the original Mary Poppins) did not make a cameo in this movie, but I think the reasoning was very sweet. She said that this was Emily Blunt‘s time and she didn’t want to take the spotlight away from her with her cameo. I think that was the most sweetest reason ever, I’ve looked up Julie Andrews for a long time. Dick Van Dyke (the original Bert)’s cameo was priceless, it was so amazing that he’s 93 years old and he was dancing on a table! Unfortunately, I didn’t catch Karen Dotrice (the original Jane Banks) ‘s cameo, because I didn’t know about it. Emily Blunt was simply practically perfect in every way as Mary Poppins. She did bring her own to the character which I really liked. Lin-Manuel Miranda was great fun as the chimney sweep, Jack, and I think that he was one of my favorite parts of the movie. The kids, Annabel, John, and Georgie (the sassy Pixie Davies, the fun Nathanael Saleh, and the adorable Joel Dawson) are 3 adorable kids and each one is so talented and full of joy! Emily Mortimer and Ben Whitsaw as Jane and Michael banks, we’re amazing! and I really think that Myrtle Streep and Julie Walters (both Mamma Mia stars!) Who played Mary Poppins cousin Topsy, and the housekeeper Ellen were so hilarious. I respectfully disagree with the “scary” carriage scene that the parents said was scary, my 5 year old sister Olivia wasn’t scared the least. Anyway, I highly enjoyed this movie. DEFINITELY A MUST SEE MOVIE.

Teen, 13 years old Written byperidot man December 29, 2018

Hmmmm, let me think about that.

So, Emily Blunt makes a good Mary Poppins. But I think that the Father was very negative, and the children cared more about the house than him. My favorite part was when they all stacked the ladders on Big Ben, and Jack (Dick Van Dyke) made a good actor for the old man. I think that there are great messages and great role models. I think that Mary Poppins returns is fine for five and up. Four stars. Thank you for reading my opinion.

Teen, 14 years old Written byEmmy23 January 3, 2019

Beautiful Remake of a Timeless Classic!

Our family recently saw this masterful movie, and loved it. The musical numbers are amazing - the choreography and voices were marvelous. The story was touching and told of the value of family. The eternal magic of Mary Poppins will leave a mark with children and children at heart. The cast was also wonderfully chosen (I am a huge fan of Lin-Manuel Miranda, and he did an awesome job). However, I would recommend having all members of the family watch the original Mary Poppins before seeing this movie, as it makes a lot more sense when you know the storyline behind it. Overall, a piece of art done in classic Disney style!

Teen, 14 years old Written byMoviegirl700 February 5, 2019

Emily Blunt is amazing as Mary Poppins

This movie was really good. Emily Blunt is an amazing Mary Poppins-in fact, she ranks just by the original! PARENTS WITH SMALL KIDS: NOTE! This movie is long. A little over 2 hours. Sure, the story is captivating, but with small toddlers and babies, wait until it comes out on DVD. Violence: 1/5 The children's mother is dead and everyone is very sad about it. The father yells at the children a few times. In one fairy tale land, one of the younger kids are kidnapped, although it all turns out right in the end. Brief moments of peril. Drinking: 0/5 In a song, a remark about how "Uncle was on the sauce." Romance: 1/5 Jack and Jane like each other, although the most they do is sing and hug. Topsy winks at Jack a few times and he winks back. The father loves and misses the mother. In a song, a lady wears only two feathers and a leaf (Jack motions for where they go) Language: 1/5 British slang like blooming, blimey, and one use of devil. Good movie!!!

Teen, 14 years old Written bybookworm3284 December 29, 2018

Great! "Practically" perfect in every way. *4.5 stars*

The best "toe-tapping-tunes" in this delightful sequel are between the great song "A Cover is Not The Book", or the dazzling "Can You Imagine That?" or the spunky jazz "Turning Turtle" or the classic Leerie/Chimney Sweep-Esq of "Trip a Little Light Fantastic" of the uplifting (literally) tune "Nowhere to Go But Up". All of the musical sequences were filmed beautifully. But some kids who can't sit still for extended amounts of time may have a hard time with this one considering that it is around TWO AND A HALF hours. It has good messages, that are inspiring. But if you have the kids who can't sit still you may just want to rent it so you can pause and take breaks whenever you like. My only problem with this one was that some of the scenes were very dragged out and it did have a very slow start. Other than that it does not live up to its predecessor, but it is still as much fun. Emily Blunt and Lin-Manuel Miranda are a delight and add some charm to this. It surprisingly does have scenes of peril and some light suspense, especially when Jack climbs up Big Ben and if you are afraid of heights you might just want to look away, cause part of this scene is in Jacks POV and just shows how high he is. I recommend this, good for a cold, rainy day. Just wish the music was a little bit more catchy, it was still very good I just wanted them to be more catchy. But this was better than some reboots/sequels. Hopefully Dumbo, Aladdin, and The Lion King (2019 reboots) are better. I am heavily involved in theatre and about 2 years ago I was in Mary Poppins and I had the part of Michael. My MPAA rating: G

Kid, 10 years old March 17, 2019

Good Movie

This movie is adventurous but at times in the movie it’s just like com on. This movie dosn’t have a very exciting plot but it’s fine.

Kid, 10 years old March 8, 2019

Mary Poppins is back!

I thought this was a great movie. I had a great time for me I thought it was a little young but a great story. There was a lot of great actors like Meryl Streep. One thing that was different from the first one is Mary Poppins has some sassy lines in a fun way. But the end was a fun great happy ending.

Kid, 12 years old February 16, 2019

Whimsical Remake/Sequel

Though not up to expectations, there are some sappy moments, kitschy dance numbers, and Blunt's spectacular performance. Lin Manuel isn't good though, even though Hamilton is brilliant.
Kid, 10 years old February 16, 2019

Bad but great to the younger audiences

bad but good young child movie lots of cool magical parts and tons of singing not horrible.
Teen, 15 years old Written bycrazymovies February 2, 2019

BORRRRRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fun but boring all at the same time

Teen, 13 years old Written byCoconuts1 February 1, 2019

Mary Poppins Returns

its amazing

Kid, 10 years old January 29, 2019
They did a great job choosing characters. For example Emily Blunt is so perfect she is so fun to see act. Its cool to see that the movie had references to the books by PL Travers (also recommended)This movie is also so cool because unlike the many remakes Disney is doing this was a completely different plot line.I was a little sad it had none of the old songs,but the new ones were incredible. I recommend this movie to any one I meet because it is so magical . Disney really did a great job.

Teen, 14 years old Written bykeatonmarcus January 26, 2019

A cluttered and uneven, but solidly told sequel is satisfying

Mary Poppins Returns has Emily Blunt, and Lin-Manuel Miranda at the helm, both of them deliver with dazzling performances, otherwise the visual effects are well-displayed in the 130M production, and the nostalgia is there, if not prominent; However, this sequel is nowhere near as good as the original, and tends to be cluttered and uneven plotting and storytelling wise; Overall, the cast, visuals and nostalgia keep the reboot/sequel afloat.
Teen, 16 years old Written byJane1234 January 25, 2019

Nice but a bit long

Mary poppins returns is definitely not better than the original but they didn’t do a bad job. The movie took a little bit too long for me and I felt like there was no real story line but it’s one of those movies that you just need to watch. Definitely appropriate for small children!!

Kid, 11 years old January 22, 2019

Comedic and heartwarming!

Totally watch this movie. I love it and I'm almost 12, but a large range of people will love it. My dad and I watched it together. He hates musicals, but he really liked the movie.