Parent reviews for Maverick

Maverick Poster Image

This movie is absolutely brilliant, all families will love and enjoy! Innuendos are little to none.

There is a very brief kissing scene, but both characters are clothed for the duration of the shot, which is only 2-3 seconds long. I have four kids, two know about sex, the others not, but didn't really suspect anything. Myself nor my husband didn't either. This scene was pretty innocent, kids wouldn't think anything else than kissing, and it isn't even shown, just alluded from another room, covered cleverly and comically by furniture. A scene where a women puts on a towel, only her bare shoulders are shown from the back. A similar one where 2 men change their clothes, only the tops of their chest are shown. The only other innuendo is in that scene, a women makes a joke about two men's "size". Kids would not get this joke, as it alludes to muscles, rather than genital size. All of the violence was mild shooting slapstick, the swearing infrequent and is less strong than most "action" or "superhero" films today. Lots of jokes making fun of racist stereotypes, like a milder version of Blazing Saddles. Great story, likeable role-model characters, and great twists. All in all, you or your kids won't regret watching this!

1 person found this helpful.

Lots of laughs.

Fun movie, my husband and kids love it.
1 person found this helpful.

Common sense does not inform you about the sexy stuff

The "few" scenes of passionate kissing made my girls very uncomfortable. The "off camera" sex scene showed two unmarried people, in the bedroom but hidden behind the bed, i thought this was too much for my girls and thought you should know.

Fun-filled action comedy.

The violence is light, the comedy witty, the story line over the top.

Fun, but not harmless.

This is an awesome film with lots of good action and humor. It it a little too long and the last fifteen minutes or so could have been cut, but still a good film. The violence isn't the biggest issue here since it is bloodless and scarcely anyone gets killed in the film's entire length (those that do die in bloodless old western style). However, the language and sexual content in this film are just too strong for me to give this film a pass. There is a sexual interlude between Mel Gibson and Jodie Foster that (although no nudity is visible) is just plain inappropriate. There are also some fairly lewd innuendos. Cursing is not terribly frequent and never enters PG-13 territory, but it's still there and I had a hard time getting around it. There are much worse films out there, but there are much better films out there too. A good comparison for this film in terms of content would be a less violent Indiana Jones.