Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for Max

Brave military dog saves the day in intense adventure.

Parent of a 10 year old Written bycjs3205 June 28, 2015

More intense than I thought

Great movie with lots of emotion. We cried, we laughed, and we were on the edge of our seats. However, I will say some of the scenes were tense for children but the story was told very well. My son and I have had some great discussions about trust, loyalty, and the sense of protection.

Adult Written byBob516 June 26, 2015

Really depends on the child

Took my twin daughters, turning 11 years old next month, to see this movie. One daughter, who likes scary books and movies enjoyed it, and was not bothered by the violence and threats to kids and dogs. My other daughter buried her face in my arm, and I had to take her out of the theatre she was so shook up by it. Discussing the details of the movie afterwards, the message was lost on my daughters. They struggled to understand what was going on. Including issues of the Taliban was way over their heads, since my children have never heard of them. I felt this bordered on PG-13.
Parent of a 2 and 5 year old Written byILoveMyWife July 17, 2015

Wow! Sad but great movie!

We took our 5-year-old son to this movie, along with his cousins, while we left our 2-year-old with his aunt. The violence was pretty intense with lots of peril and even worse, killed mammals (soldiers, dogs). Teens briefly flirt, which went over the kids' heads, and there was some marginal language my 5-year-old didn't understand, like 'damn,' 'friggin,' and 'shit.' But it's still a good movie. If your child is between 5 and 10, see the movie with him/her.

Adult Written byMackenzie0203 July 7, 2015

Can't believe this is PG

I brought my 7 and 10 year olds to this movie. I am shocked that it is PG. Very violent scenes with guns and shooting. My kids were very scared. I hope they still sleep okay tonight.

Adult Written byNCEtt July 6, 2015

Unique, and different, adventurous

Although it is a bit complicated of a story line (the what's going on with the"bad guy" kind of complicated), I think it has a lot of unique qualities that movies these days don't have. Positive about animals, shows empathy for animals and those in the military, and is a good adventure movie with a lot of exciting chase scenes Good for kids, to me. Yes, there is some violence with the war (and there are some animal scenes I didn't care for) and during the chase scenes, the message is good. Not the best quality of a movie, but think an older kid would appreciate it as a new idea. My 8 1/2 year old got it mostly, and really liked it. I recommend 11 and up more likely, but 8 + can manage.

Adult Written byeducateju July 16, 2015

A great life lesson for all ages! Emotional & engaging...tugs at your heart strings!

My son is 9 and he really enjoyed this movie. There were a few parts he didn't quite understand but I was able to easily explain as the movie went along. A wonderful message about family, forgiveness, honesty, patriotism, heroism & sacrifice. The "bad" guys and the "good" guys were clear and that sent a great message for today's youth. I will be buying this when it comes out on DVD; definitely a movie to watch again & again.

Adult Written bymomofthreef January 8, 2016

Not appropriate for children under 13

This movie should have been rated PG13. Rented it for my 7yr old and had to turn it off. A lot of violence!!!

Adult Written byRYAN490 November 30, 2015

The subject matter may be too intense for Youngsters

Found this at my local library in the Childrens section. I don't know why. The themes are so INTENSE that it could upset kids. The film has a Very upsetting scene where the father threatened to Kill the dog. There are some INTENSE scenes of War violence. This film is VERY ADULT. Definitely would have slapped this with a PG13 rating. But it was a Good film. Be forewarned this film deals with loss of a loved one in the Military and how a dog copes with the family in the Grieving process. Plus scenes with some criminals threatning the father and son is also upsetting to watch. Not even to mention the scenes where Max is taken away to be put down only to escape the pound. Maybe wait for little children to be older before for watching this film so they can understand what is going on in the movie

Adult Written byMari R. July 15, 2017

Nice

Nice movie but there was no subtitles in Spanish, only Chinese, Thai, French and English. Does this have to do anything with the new position of the White House towards Spanish translation in movies tv and websites? I find it very offensive, that Spanish is excluded.
Parent of a 11 year old Written byapril.george January 14, 2016

I enjoyed most of this movie

There are less than a handful of curse words and one of those slipped my notice the first time. The story is good. I would have liked to have seen a better attitude from Justin towards a certain family member (no spoilers). Most of ending action sequence was tame. It was tense but not especially violent. Overall, I believe this is a good movie and I would recommend it to mature 11 year-olds and up.

Adult Written bybob d. January 31, 2018