Parent reviews for Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials

Dystopian sequel has lots of thrills, violence.

Parent Written byLisastew98 September 20, 2015

Much more violent and terrifying than 1st Maze Runner

Wow this movie was intense, very dark and violent through the entire movie. The cranks were terrifying and there were several jump scares. Very high body count and some disturbing scenes. I would not recommend this movie for under 14. It doesn't follow the book very well. I really think this movie pushes the pg-13 rating, if I could take it back I would not have taken my 11 year old to it.

Adult Written byMummy Roo September 19, 2015

Very frightening movie

My 13 yr old daughter went to see this movie with friends. She had to leave half way through as the violence and horrifying scenes terrified her.
The zombie scenes were by far the worst.
She has watched THG, LOTR Trilogy, The Hobbit Trilogy, POTC, Jurassic World and Marvel movies, and has been fine. This movie, however, has taken violence to a whole other level.
Know your child!
If movies of a horror type persuasion frighten them, keep them away from this production.

Parent Written byxtwheeler September 29, 2015

Horribly Violent Yet Still Boring

I have a precocious 11 year old daughterdaughter, who is a voracious reader and who has seen plenty of PG-13 movies (always with our supervision so we can talk about anything that comes up that is too mature, etc.). She read this series of books, and we liked the first movie a lot. So, I didn't even really think about whether or not we would see this in the theater. Big mistake.

Not only does the movie do very, very little to move the plot along, but it is absolutely freaking terrifying at a number of points. Remember the zombies from 28 Days, who, instead of shambling along aimlessly, were super fast and aggressive? Well, they're back in this movie. Apparently, a virus infected most if the population and turned them into Speedy Gonzalez zombies.

I've seen plenty of scary movies in my day. I don't mind a surprise or two. But I actually screamed out loud at least 4 or 5 times watching this movie. The worst part was that it was the same gag over and over again. Kids wandering around in the dark. Kids get complacent. Kids stop to navel gaze. ZOMBIES BUM RUSH KIDS AND BITE AND SCRATCH THEM. Oh, and they do this attacking, biting and clawing while black goo oozes from their eye sockets and gaping mouths. And, if that isn't bad enough, one of the kids actually commits suicide by handgun rather than succumb to his impending zombification.

So, my mature, almost jaded, very entertainment savvy 11 year old was actually traumatized by the movie. We went to put her to bed last night, and she burst into panicked tears as the thought of being left alone. It was so bad that for the first time ever on a school night, she came and slept in our bed. She was so scared that she clung to me all night long, and I don't blame her.

As I said, the upshot of it all is that all this violence and terror ends up being simply gratuitous at the end of the film. The kids escaped from WCKD again, just like the end of the last movie. They set off anew for some ill-defined, nebulous destination, and they still don't know what's going on, really.

Truly, it is gratuitously violent and frightening, and accomplishes nothing in terms of storytelling. FAIL.

Adult Written byMovie_Enthusiast September 20, 2015

Scarier in Every Way

Though I immensely enjoyed the new addition to the Maze Runner series, they have upped the anti for everything from violence to drugs. Thomas and his friends are out of the maze, but now they are in the Scorch, with more obstacles than you can count. One of which being the cranks. Cranks are zombie like humans who have been infected with the deadly disease called the flare. From their gorged out eyes, pale skin, distorted limbs, black mouths (from eating humans live) and being covered in blood, they are the most terrifying thing about the Scorch Trials, and would be VERY disturbing to young children under the age of 11. When the cranks are on the screen, you are watching Walking Dead with Maze Runner characters. To add to the violence there are violent deaths with blood, and a suicide (though it is not shown the gunshot is heard). Though the violence is the main factor, there is a lot more swearing, as well as a scene where characters are drinking, smoking, and being drugged. The swearing includes many, many uses of the sh**, bi***, and a**. Though there are some positive role models, and messages to never give up, leave the little ones out of the theater for this Maze Runner movie.

Adult Written byAshley L. April 14, 2018

Not for kids or tweens

This is definitely not for 13+ more for an older teen . The creatures are terrifying even for me . My 11 year old also wanted me to turn this off and he has seen movies like LOTR, Harry Potter , etc . I signed up for an account just to leave a review on this movie . I agree with a lot of the comments above that it is dark and would be better suited to at least someone 17 and older . I can’t even review the actual movie because we turned it off after seeing the first creature . A lot of bad language as well .

Adult Written byHUGOMANHD November 5, 2015

Best movie of 2015

Great Movies for ten and up is more Scary than The First But Still Great movie, Can't wait for the Third One!

Adult Written byPerson Kid February 1, 2019

Not as bad as people say

This is a great movie. I love the maze runner series. Everyone says “it’s too violent not for kids” but actually there is little to no violence on screen. There is cranks “zombies” they are decently scary but not much. I saw this movie when I was 11 and I was fine. Even if the cranks scare you just skip them. People just overreact and it’s annoying. I think you could show a mature kid 9+ this movie.

Adult Written byManov F. January 19, 2018

Not Recommended under 17

This movie is bordering on a horror movie with grotesque, detailed zombies and frightening scenes that no younger viewer should see. Dark & dreary with graphic violence. More frightening than the original Maze Runner (which is also underrated).

Adult Written byabbrown July 19, 2020

Great movie!

My husband and I really enjoyed this movie! I think it’s the best one out of the series; HOWEVER, we are pretty reserved when it comes to sexual content in movies and unfortunately when I looked into this movie there wasn’t any mention of what the females were actually wearing in the club scene. Most women were dressed very inappropriately. Within the first 5 seconds of Thomas entering the club you see multiple women in their bra. I’m not sure why this was never mentioned in any of the other reviews but it would have been nice to know before watching the movie. We had to skip through the whole scene which lasts about 2-3 minutes.
Parent of a 9-year-old Written byray b. March 2, 2018

It was terrible

Do not watch!

Adult Written byKayleigh H. January 29, 2018

Amazing film

The second instalment of The Maze Runner is fantastic. There is much more scenery within this film compared to the first instalment. No boring scenes. Always something to keep you attached to the characters. The actors themselves have great chemistry with each other and you can see that portrayed in the film. Hooked.

Parent of a 10-year-old Written byAshlee R. September 11, 2016

Scary Zombies - Not for kids

This is a scary movie. My child and I watched the first movie with no problems. Scorch trials, however, is intended to frighten. There are lots of scenes intended to make you jump. I had to turn it off before we'd watched half the movie and I did not allow my child to finish it. I later watched the rest on my own, but could barely manage watching the disturbing zombie scenes. It may be fine for a teenager who is comfortable with zombie movies.

Adult Written byAdelina S. August 23, 2016

I love it

Adult Written byMJH011 May 28, 2016

Demonic zombie violence

My 12 year old son read the series. Maze runner was an engaging movie. The scorch runner was beyond disgusting with constant violent demonic zombies. Very upsetting.

Parent of a 18+-year-old Written byCheese and Bread May 6, 2016

Not as good as the first on but ...

Not as good as the first one and didnt follow the book

Adult Written byEmmett. Sum March 6, 2016

great

I think this is a great action packed movie. I do think that this movie might be a little bit scary for kids ages under 11 because of the cranks (zombies)

Parent of a 9-year-old Written bymathew2345 March 4, 2016

awesome

goooooooooooooooooooooooooooood
Parent Written byMiLu3.14 February 6, 2016

Too Scary. Too long.

I liked the first movie. This one was too scary. It is a cross between the Matrix and World War Z.

Adult Written bymaxevancooper January 23, 2016

Amazing movie

Really good movie but really violent and a little bit of gore on a scale of one to ten I would give it a 3 because there are zombies I would be fine with any person 11 and up watching this movie i think it should be rated PG-13

Adult Written byHewitt January 19, 2016