Kid reviews for Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials

Dystopian sequel has lots of thrills, violence.

Teen, 15 years old Written bymmoonn16 September 30, 2015

Lots of violence and jump scare scenes.

I went with my family to see Scorch Trials and i was horrified. This was mostly because of the zombies (yes they basically were zombies). They were gruesome and gory, i have seen few horror movies and these zombies were neck and neck with some of them. The zombies appearances were uncalled for and not necessary, i found that the zombies ruined the whole movie. There were many jump scare scenes that i didn't enjoy at all.
My 10 year old was continually jumping and was frightened allot, although he tried to deny it, it later had a massive effect on him as he was up during the middle of the night and was afraid to be left alone. My 15 year old was also very shocked and scared at times too and also wasn't able to have a good proper sleep. My 14 year old daughter is still afraid of walking up stairs by herself and my husband or i has to walk her up to bed (we last watched the movie 5 days ago). I DEFINITELY would NOT recommend young audiences to be viewing this as it will have a negative effect. I have read the book and was pointing out many mistakes in the movie, for example one of the main characters (who I will not name ) was meant to die.
I was annoyed with some of the scenes as they were copies of other big time movies. In one scene a girl is trapped in a bus handing over a cliff and was standing inside the bus on glass. the glass was cracking and so forth. This reminded me of the EXACT same scene in Jurassic Park. VERY ANNOYING.
Over all this was a waste of time ad money, i wouldn't recommend this movie to anyone at all. There is a bit of swearing through out the movie, but i didn't really notice it because i was too horrified with the violence. there is a party scene when two characters are forced to drink something to get into the party, and as a result their vision blurs and end up kissing one another.
Putting all the negatives aside Thomas showed courage and loyalty to his friends on numerous occasions. They were all great actors but i'm afraid the movie wasn't a good choice for them as it had a poor story line and felt as if it were just a movie with multiple movies in it (Jurassic park, Divergent, into the storm, etc.)

Teen, 13 years old Written byJabb3rjay September 20, 2015

Disappointed

I really enjoyed the Maze Runner! I Was very excited for the scorch trials.
I went to see the movie with my mom and it scared the crap out of me!
We walked out about forty-five minutes into the movie. This movie isn't for tweens, it's super grotesque (just plain nasty) it only gets worse as the movie progresses. It was pretty disgusting and disappointing. I felt sick after we left This movie is on the verge of R. It can be compared to World war Z. Very twisted, graphic and dark. A huge waste of your time and money! I'm a huge tmr fan but hands down this is the worst movie I have ever watched.

Teen, 15 years old Written byShowman movie13 March 17, 2019

One of the worst film I've seen

This film is the WORST ever. It was just plain boring and it did not, I repeat DID NOT, follow the book at all. (At least they got the main plot down, or did they and change everything around?) This is also more violent than I expected. The "zombies" in the movie looked scary and was quite frightening. This movie wasted 2hrs. of my time. Never have I seen a poor sci-fi movie in my life! I expected better than that!!! Language is somewhat constant. This movie is for teens who want to waste their time on this damn movie!

Teen, 13 years old Written bymovieman25 November 23, 2017

Graphic "cranks" in not as good as the book sequel

Teen, 14 years old Written byMrMazinMeow October 4, 2015

Common Sense...No common sense

Ok. First of all, NO kid should see this movie. (Under 13) Don't trust 20th century fox's rating. I personally think it should be rated R. Towards the end of the movie two characters walk into this building (party house) and there is a party going around with drunk people and on the screen you can see one character dizzy and fell down. The second reason is there is ZOMBIES. HORRIFYING zombies. Flesh eating zombies and there is a chase scene in the beginning/middle where one of the main characters almost died.

Teen, 13 years old Written byOlafhugger September 19, 2015

This is a terrifying, evil and extremely dark movie!

Today I went to the movies to see Maze Runner: The Scorch Trails, with four other friends. My friends had watched the first movie, but I hadn't and I didn't know what it was about.
I was absolutely terrified. I was shaking in my seat. I felt sick because of the violence, It petrified me.
I was especially horrified of the zombie monsters.
Another scene scared me when one of the Characters turned into one of the zombies and shot himself.
I have seen movies like the hunger games, LOTR, Pirates of the Caribbean, Jurassic World and Marvel movies and i loved them, but this movie was dark, evil and horrifying. It's violence was on a whole different level.
If your child is one that has grown up watching Finding Nemo, or Toy Story, they will be absolutely petrified.
Half way through the movie, I had to ring my mum and go home before I vomited over the theatre seats.
Don't risk watching this movie if you a sensitive person.

Teen, 14 years old Written byDisneymovielover77 September 18, 2015

Great Suspenseful sequel

This movie is more violent than the first movie and there are plenty of intense scenes involving zombie like figures and these scenes are WAY more violent than the grievers in the first movie. There's especially a pretty violent scene towards the end of the movie.
While the first movie was pretty violent the sequel at times has some scenes that might make you jump. It's even more suspenseful than the first scenes. There are numerous scenes that could scare viewers under 13 or 12 years old. There are some funny moments and heartwarming parts in the movie even when there's plenty of suspense to keep you on the edge of your seat. I advise you to NEVER EVER take any younger kids especially in the middle age group in elementary school due to the fact that they could get nightmares.
It should be ok for families who have read the series but it is completely scary for anyone under 13 or 12 years old that's scared easily or really sensitive to dystopian films such as this Hunger Games, Divergent,etc. The zombies can be pretty frightening to some viewers.
Positive Themes- Yes Bravery, not letting go of hope, and there are even references to loving 1 another. Especially in certain parts of the movie and there are also positive role models except for the villains or bad guys.
Violence and scariness- There are some really intense scenes that involve zombie like people and they could give the easily frightened kids nightmares. Several gunshots and explosions also the zombies are pretty violent towards the main characters.
Anything innapropiate like kissing- There is 1 kiss between 2 of the characters who are drunk at a party.
Drugs, drinking, and smoking- The party scene in the movie might be uncomfortable for some parents and even some viewers.
Bad Language- 1 character used the finger gesture towards someone in about the beginning of the movie. There's some curse words but there are no f bombs but still there are some pretty bad words in here.
The cast was really good with there roles. There are some new characters in the movie that you can't help but want them to survive through this suspense and action movie.
The Scorch Trials is overall an entertaining movie with plenty of suspense and action. It's a decent sequel that provides thrills and it will please any fans who read the second novel in the maze runner trilogy series of books. Overall it should be fine for mature viewers and parents you might want to screen the movie and make sure it's apropiate for your kids.

Kid, 12 years old December 8, 2015

lots of suspense, thrills, action

I went to see the maze runner scorch trials with 4 other friends for a birthday treat, i had only watched the beginning 50 mins of the first movie and only had a briefing of what its about. I loved it. Even though i spent some time hiding behind my seat i still enjoyed it. The things i think that would make it a twelve is this: there is a very negative storyline that a deadly virus is consuming the world and it is turning people into horrible zombie like creatures that have black goo dripping from their eyes and mouth and chunks of flesh hanging off, ( they don't linger on detail very long ) their called cranks ( virus victims ) that pursue anyone in their vicinity, ( there are 2 main jump scares )there are adults killing teens, there a scene where two teens are forced drunk and enter a club surrounded by drinking and drunk behaviour, there is made up bad language such as 'Shuck, Shukface, Klunk, Slinthead' etc . This film is ok for mature 11-12 year olds that don't get scared to easily. it is best to watch in a cinema with friends than at home on tv. But beside the scary stuff there are good role models that care for their friends and are hoping for the best and don't I've up evan though things look bad. All in all a great film, i would recommend it.

Teen, 13 years old Written byaml4001 September 20, 2016

Terrible compared to the book

Complete waste of time seeing the movie. It was violent, bloody, contained freaky zombies that made even my mother freak out, and it was nothing like the book. You are not missing out on anything if you haven't seen the movie. Just don't watch it. I won't watch that again. There was swearing too.

Kid, 12 years old February 18, 2016

Best movie of 2015!

This movie is much better than the maze runner! It has scarier monsters, way more intense, edge-of-your-seat moments, a bit more swearing and is a lot more violent! It is full of chase scenes and action bits where the gladers are either running from zombies (which there are a lot of) and fighting them and some of Wicked's men.
I really love this movie and recommend it to anyone who loves action and horror movies. Just beware of the monsters for they might frighten some people, and the violence, which the movie basically revolves around.

Teen, 13 years old Written byKingriku December 20, 2015

Very good

Great movie 12 and up It was a really good movie not as good as the first one but really good Theres 1 part where like thomas Drinks some weird drink and it gets Kinda weird And creepy and theres Lots of action And gun fire
Teen, 17 years old Written byStevie111 September 18, 2015

Decent Sci-fi Adventure, though more violent than the first one

This so called "young adult" film was extremely violent and had the super grotesque and menacing cranks. There is a high body count, and the characters are in peril throughout the movie. Also, kids are gotten drunk. This film isn't a lighter action film better suited for kids like Ant-Man or films similar, it was a dark and disturbing movie. I recommend this to mature teens and up. I thought the movie was good, but I didn't love it.

Teen, 13 years old Written byMoviemaniac. July 20, 2020

great movie, a little bit of sexy stuff though...

good movie, third ones my fav. though. it has one part in it where you see ladies dancing inappropriately in inmodest clothing, there is also one or two suicides (off screen). one middle finger and s word used several times throughout. great movie recommended for kids 12 and up.

Teen, 17 years old Written byMMSbro July 11, 2020

Its very good!

It has sex violence and swearing so I say 17+!

Kid, 11 years old June 12, 2020

zombie violence is disturbing

there are jump scares disturbing images and really really gross and scary zombies it will give you nightmares forever trust me don't watch till 14.

Kid, 11 years old May 19, 2020

The Scorch

This is a great sequel to the first, but it is also more scary. The cranks are horrifying but otherwise everything is fine. Thomas is forced to drink some unknown drink but we assume it’s alcohol as we later see the scenes get hazy and he kisses another girl. Lots of guns and quite a bit of blood. A character is left basically to commit suicide when he gets the flare.

Teen, 14 years old Written bypeopleparlor May 18, 2020

Not as good as the first

I was definitely a little disappointed when I watched this movie, and wanted more. I wouldn't really recommend it but some might like it. It strays from the book and kind of goes on it's own path, which isn't really a good one. There is some action and a little language, but there isn't too much to watch out for except for scenes with the people infected with the flare.

Teen, 14 years old Written byLucky Shadow May 4, 2020

Honest Opionion

Overall, a great movie. Plot's great. But you have to realize something: this is NOT the book. You have 6,7,8 characters that are the same. And that's it.

BASED ON BOOK REVIEW:

I don't understand why they had to include so much swearing. Gladers have their own language, and you should honor it. here is so much swearing in this. The word sh*t is used every other word, almost. This is NOT at all like the book. To prove my point: Some of the characters that die in the book don't even die. And characters that don't die in the book die in the movie. There is a scene in the movie - a party. A drunken party where everyone's a bit woozy, wearing inappropriate clothing. None of my favorite scenes are in their - in the tunnel, the white-clothed man with the food, Teresa's "group." Brenda isn't what I imagined at all. This movie shouldn't even be called The Scorch Trials, it's that different. If you clear your mind of the book, you can enjoy it.

NON-BOOK REVIEW:

Really good movie to watch, minus the swearing. Not gonna lie, the actors are cute and you really get attached to them. A big plot twist at one point. I have one word of advice: You've gotta watch it all at once. You can't stop. Swear words are muttered as commonly as the characters breathe. You shouldn't let this stop you though.

FOR PARENTS:
Know that your kid will probably fall in love with one of the main characters, Newt (played by Thomas Brodie-Sangster). You might want to have a discussion on celebrity crushes with them.

FOR KIDS:
This movie can get a little violent. It's a dystopian future, but not very sci-fi-ish. Even if you hate sci-fi, you'll like this. Be prepared for swearing, however.

Teen, 13 years old Written byRedtime April 12, 2020

More Scarier than the 1st movie

This movie was much more scarier than the first movie with the ‘cranks’ parents if you want an idea what they look like before showing your children this film type ‘maze runner cranks’ in YouTube and it should come up. A lot of people type, violence is much more than the 1st movie thus I rated it 12 not 11. Also some drinking and drugs going on, as they are invited into a ‘party’ with drinking and someone puts something into someone’s drink (probably drugs)

Teen, 15 years old Written bystartrekfordays April 6, 2020

Decent sequel strays from the source material, zombie violence and disturbing images are frequent.

Parents should know that "The Scorch Trials" strays from the original source material, focusing on the zombies, violence, and disturbing content far more than on the characters. Although it is a little disappointing, the action still thrills. Violence is more intense than the original, and includes lots of deaths, shooting, explosions, disturbing and bloody images, and more. Language includes s--t, damn, hell, etc. Overall, it's worth a watch if you're a fan. If you're not, just pass on this one. My Rating: PG-13 for intense sequences of violence and action, some bloody and disturbing images, and language.