All parent member reviews for Meet Dave

Parent of a 7 and 10 year old Written byMattmchugh February 14, 2011

Neat premise, but inappropriate content for younger kids

The idea of a human-sized robot with tiny people running it from within is one almost every kid has imagined, so this movie touches a spot in the modern collective unconscious dead-on. Unfortunately, there's not a lot of wit or wisdom it how it extrapolates the premise. Even worse, along they way, there's some jokes playing off racial and sexual stereotypes that really don't belong in sub-PG-13 territory. Those may zip past littler kids, but you may find yourself having to explain to older pre-teens what's funny (or not) about an African-American bugging his eyes out at a woman's backside and yelling "Daaamn!" or a tough guy who, after watching about ten seconds of a musical, develops a lisp and a fashion obsession. Politically incorrect jokes may have a place, but probably really not in your younger kids video library.
Parent of a 4, 7, and 9 year old Written byRettendonCommon September 28, 2013

A film with some good humanity and laughs

This is a good film which entertains kids with all the 'body as a spaceship' theme and adults with the love interest between Eddy Murphy and Elizabeth Banks....and also quite touching for both in the themes of how to deal with bullying and other things which shows the human race isn't that bad after all really.
Parent of a 8 year old Written byuusarahmcg September 29, 2009

Laughed so hard we cried!

This movie may not teach kids a thing, but our whole family laughed so hard we cried all the way through this movie. Eddie Murphy's physical humor was dead on, and although the Old Navy scene was obvious marketing, it was one of the funniest scenes in the movie. I probably won't ever watch it again-not a classic-but worth watching once for sure!
Parent of a 7, 12, and 14 year old Written byAdriennels May 15, 2009

Surprisingly entertaining...

I actually was pleasantly surprised at this movie, which I had heard nothing about beforehand. It was all in good taste (hard to find these days) and totally appropriate for a family. Good fun. My kids laughed a lot at the stupid physical humor
Adult Written bykungfuflypig April 9, 2008

{Grade C}When U Comin's Back, Murphy?

It's been like 20 years since Eddie Murphy had a good live action comedy. Though this movie does have a WAY better script than that "NORBIT" the movie is still pretty bad. Now, don't think that this is all Murphy's fault. If he was teamed with a better director and writer, "Meet Dave" may have came out as decent, summer-silliness.------------------------------- ------The crazy story is quite simple actually. And when you hear it, you will notice the collaboration of Murphy and the other filmmaker put little thought into it. Dave has people inside his head, and they kind of control him.---------------------------- -----I don't even want to review the story... so I might as well go to the execution. It wasn't bad at all. Not something you want to see in theaters, but the movie is silly enough at some points to be kind of funny. Aside from the horrible supporting roles, Murphy still has that annoying smile on his face... but it works in this one. What the movie manages to do is not to make you sick, but keep watching--being mildly entertained by Dave's problems. -----Parents, CSM is right about not meeting Dave, but if the DVD is like $5 at your local store, you can check it out. The violence is comical, anyone over 6 can handle that. But the language is kind of strong, so be careful of that.---------------------- -----OVERALL this can mark the (hopefully) comeback of Murphy's films, let's just hope he won't have the same team for the next film.
Adult Written bylis April 9, 2008

I laughed

really enjoyed it more than I thought I would. Cute and enjoyable. cute little kid