Parent reviews for Miami Vice

Dark, violent update of TV series. Not for kids.

Adult Written byIrishreviews December 20, 2018

Not a bad film, but it could’ve been better.

When I watched this film a few weeks ago for some inspiration for an animation project I was doing, I was pretty impressed by what direction director Michael Mann went with the film. I was impressed by the acting from Jamie Foxx (Tubbs) and Colin Farrell (Crockett), the action and the soundtrack. I was kinda impressed by the film’s story but I thought it could be better, and I thought that the films version of Tubbs wasn’t as cynical as he was in the show. I also was pretty disappointed with how the movie didn’t have a version of the show’s theme.

Warning: the movie can get very violent, mainly in the scenes where a character commits suicide by going in front of a semi-truck and the final shootout with the .50 caliber sniper rifle. The violence also includes Tubbs shooting a drug dealer at close range with a grenade launcher with a lot of blood shown. There’s also a lot of talk about drug dealings and prostitution. In my opinion, I think that the movie can be alright for a 13 year old with a parent present and a 15 year old by him or her self.

Adult Written byFinley M. July 2, 2017
Adult Written byRcS517 April 9, 2008
Adult Written bytrojan51 April 9, 2008
Adult Written bymerlez April 9, 2008

not the TV show

This is very differant from the TV show other than the fact that the core characters feel very deeply about each other. I connected with them in this way and was able to really move through the story with them. Micheal Mann is a master at creating a mood and he does it well in this film. Very adult though, the sexual situations, although not gratuitous and out of place are not for those under 17.