Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Find entertainment that fits your kid's interests and your parenting style.

Go to For Your Family

Parent reviews for Midsommar

Unsettling, high-class horror movie is extremely violent.

Adult Written bymjmmaddie1125 July 8, 2019

Worst movie I’ve ever seen

People were leaving the theatre during some of the most graphic parts of this movie. I stayed to see all of it, and can confidently say it was the worst film I’ve seen. No plot, only gore and a disturbingly graphic sex scene. Shocked and disturbed at the positive reviews.

Parent of a 18+ year old Written bymotionocean July 7, 2019

Pointless and shallow

I'm really disappointed that a common sense media critic gave this film 4stars. It is not redeemed by the beautiful cinematography and all round strong acting because it seems to be nothing more xercisethan ina shallow exercise in exploring the director's sexual fetishes and sadistic fantasies. I defy anyone to explain any meaningful theme addressed or satirical point made. Hereditary really showed promise in spite of a disappointing ending. This movie doubles down on that bad ending without offering anything worthwhile. I honestly felt bad for the actors.
Adult Written byfawnn July 11, 2019

Incredible movie, NOT for kids. (Major spoilers)

I loved it. Spectacular cinematography, acting, score...you name it, Ari Aster nailed it. With that said, I'm appalled that anyone would let their kid watch this. Hell, I'm surprised it's legal for anyone under the age of 18 to walk into that theater no matter who they're with. The least of your worries here (hopefully) is the language. F-word, S-word, etc etc. Then there's a very long, horrifying scene depicting a double murder-suicide (daughter kills parents, then herself), and it's shown briefly several times throughout the film when the main character is having nightmares and on drugs. That character is in emotional agony many times in the movie, screaming and crying. A scene shows two people jumping off a cliff in a ritualistic suicide pact; one is seen hitting the ground in slow motion as her face gets smashed off. The second person survives with mangled legs, his bones sticking out. Cult members proceed to smash his face in with a mallet (shown close up in daylight) and hit him several times after he is dead. The bodies are shown close up again, very suddenly, as they are being cremated. The characters are on psychedelics through the whole movie (resulting in some scenes that could make some viewers dizzy, especially if they're closer to the screen). A man's head is bashed in offscreen by a man only wearing a shirt and someone else's face as a mask. His genitals are completely visible. A girl 'drugs' a character into having sex with her using her own pubic hair and menstrual blood, which he unknowingly drinks at dinner. The sex scene that follows later in the movie is very long and bizarre. While penetration is not shown, the two are surrounded by naked women (full frontal) singing and mimicking their moaning. The main character, his girlfriend, witnesses a few seconds of it before running outside and vomiting in the grass. She is then seen surrounded by other girls mimicking her cries, which quickly turn into screaming. Her boyfriend is seen running out of the shack naked (more full frontal nudity) when he realizes what he's done and finds another character hanging up in a barn with his eyeballs gouged out and replaced by flowers, his body spread out in a 'blood eagle'. Just minutes later, characters that went missing earlier in the film are shown being wheeled into a strange building. Their eyes are gone and they seem to have been emptied so only their skin is left, then dressed up as various ritualistic figures. Also in the building is a character who was sewn into a bear alive and against his will, with only his face showing. Two other men sit around him by their own will as sacrifice. The building is set on fire, burning up the weird skin bodies and three live men. I know this was long and detailed but consider it a PSA. Please, for the love of god, don't take kids to see this!

Adult Written byRexrob July 8, 2019

2 and a half hours of your life you will never get back

Unnecessarily Violent, Graphic sex and nudity, Suicide, Irresponsible drug taking, Predictable outcome. on the plus side great cinematography, the leading lady was superb. This movie tries to hard to be a "Wicker Man" of this decade and ultimately fails. Overall the Cons of this movie far outweigh the Pros. In my opinion, unless you have masochistic tendencies, this is one to avoid.

Adult Written bydevinalessi July 8, 2019

This is NOT it.

So I just recently turned 18, and I’ve been seeing ads for this movie all over the place. I couldn’t find tickets at a normal cinema (now I know why) so I found a smaller one. Big MISTAKE. It had beautiful cinematography and good potential to be a good movie, but it ended up being just a cesspool of violence, silence, unnecessary and unexplained sex and death, and a completely unexplained and unexplainable ending. I love horror movies and their appeal, and can appreciate some gore and maybe even sex for plot. But this movie was a waste of time and everyone in our movie theatre left muttering negative things under their breath. IF YOU THINK THERES A CHANCE THIS IS A GOOD MOVIE, GIVE UP HOPE. It doesn’t get better.

Adult Written byfortunebrookie July 2, 2019

NOT FOR PTSD SUFFERS AND THE FAINT OF HEART

Its a beautiful movie. However there are graphic scenes of male and female nudity. Explicit scenes of homocide and suicide. Very triggering for people who have triggers with death. Very graphic killing scenes. there are scenes of individuals taking physibilin mushrooms in various forms and the hallucinogenic drugs.

Adult Written byGermanFlower July 11, 2019

Here’s the facts about this movie, Jack

Please read this entire review. I say this from a place of love and with a desire to protect. It may be fun to get a good scare with this movie and get the adrenaline going, but please go skydiving, bungee jumping or rollercoaster riding to get that thrill. If you watch enough gore and people being tortured all the time that will become normal to you. Sure, there are sick people in the world and this kind of stuff happens to some people, and we should not be blind to what goes on. But why should we be entertained by other people’s pain? Please don’t think I’m calling you sick if you watch this movie. I’m only asking that you be careful. I think this film is an open door for the devil to work in people’s lives. The Bible says to guard what we put in our hearts, because out of our hearts flows the springs of life. You may not believe in God, but there are scientific facts to back up what I’m saying. You cannot unsee what you have seen. There are better emotions to submit your body to than fear, which increases your stress levels. If horror movies make you feel alive, then exercise or hug someone you love. Use the time you would have spent watching this movie to make someone else feel alive. So here’s the alternative: There is a good choice, but there is also a better choice. Then there’s the best choice. If the best choice is an option, then please take it. I’d say the best choice for gore lovers is Mel Gibson’s the Passion of the Christ. The main character, Jesus, is subjected to torture for the people he loves and wants to save. There’s also freaky little creatures and mangled bodies. The bad guy is seemingly unbeatable. There’s a scene of suicide. And a HUGE plot twist. If you like watching horror because you want to know what it’s about, here’s something: Why did the main character opt to be beaten? Watch The Passion of the Christ to find out. Its’s a movie that gets my adrenaline going and it’s not a shallow story either. BTW: If I wasn’t clear.. I was required to give an age rating, but I don’t think anyone should watch this.

Adult Written byblakesaradad July 7, 2019

The producers are sadists. Don't see.

1. Not a child, adult, or family film. 2. I can handle gore for it's own sake, but this is trash and pointless. 3. You're better off torching your money. With the CSM description and my thoughts......still interested?

Adult Written byfandelcine July 16, 2019

What a waste of money and time!

Bad doesn't even begin to describe this film. It is a nonsense movie, it is not a horror movie, it is not scary, graphic suicides/murder, it is a dumb movie, don't bother to waste your money or time, really. Studio-manufactured reviews do not tell the truth about this movie, it is really really bad.

Adult Written byEmperry July 15, 2019

Avoid this movie at all costs

I walked into this movie with high expectations knowing this was ari aster’s film director of hereditary, a truly disturbingly beautiful horror masterpiece that still keeps me up at night which is what truly brilliant horror films should do, but with midsommar I was so beyond disturbed and disappointed. My friends and I walked out with 10 minutes left, first movie I have ever walked out of. Any movie that needs that much gore and that long of an extremely inappropriate scene isn’t a true horror film. I was disturbed by the people that actually enjoyed this film. Doesn’t even come close to hereditary

Adult Written byasaadkhan13 July 15, 2019

its a rubbish

I went to see a horror movie but wasn't scared, a predictable plot with no end, and probably the director is a freak with weird fantasy
Parent of a 12 year old Written byNwasson July 12, 2019

NO KIDS UNDER 18-NOT A CLASSIC HORROR MOVIE-PSYCHOLOGICAL TERROR

This film, as Ari Aster's other film Hereditary, is not for everyone. This is not a "classic horror" slasher or ghost/haunting film. It is a art-house movie about grief/loss/relationships. There is a lot of sex and a lot of violence. This is a Folk-horror, think Wickerman, and deals with cults/religion and what you are willing to sacrifice for your beliefs. I thought it was EXCELLENT and have paid to see it twice already and going again this weekend as there's no way to take in everything presented. HOWEVER - the sex scene is GRAPHIC and there is also HUMAN SACRIFICE, SUICIDE that is VIOLENT!!! There is a ton of DRUG USE as well (think "magic mushrooms/teas). If you have experienced murder/suicide in your life it could be REALLY TRIGGERING!!

Adult Written byBravo34Delta July 5, 2019

Like Waco/Jonestown but with some grizzly deaths.

Grizzly? Get it? Well, you'll get it when you get it. Seriously though. This movie isn't scary, per se, it's just unsettling - the way Get Out was unsettling, but without the "wokeness." You might be able to have a conversation about how different cultures have different faith traditions, or how to deal with suicidal ideation, but I think you'll have a harder time explaining what a Blood Eagle is. There are really gruesome scenes - graphic for the sake of being shocking - which isn't for everyone. There's some significant, prolonged full frontal male and female nudity. It drives the plot, but again... Not everybody's cup of herbal hallucinogenic mushroom tea. To that end, there's a TON of drug use. As a film, it's visually and technically stunning, with great costumes, great production design, great cinematography. The male lead is a poor man's Star-Lord, with about 50% of the looks and 10% of the charisma. The supporting American cast are largely stereotypical Americans, but that's what you get when you watch a European film. Ultimately, we're dealing with a creepy, incestuous sun cult with some really specific views on death. Do with that information what you will.

Adult Written byGigi1783 July 22, 2019

Traumatized

I left that theatre in shock. I regretted letting my eyes see that movie. If it was made to exemplify total human depravity, it did it’s job.

Adult Written byrmatusof July 21, 2019

Worst Movie Ever!!!

I wish I could unsee this movie.....It was stupid and horrible.....wish I had watched a trailer or read a review before going to see this....I am not rating or smashing the actors and actresses, just the movie....in one word HORRIBLE!
Adult Written bynotaboy July 20, 2019

You'll want to barf

This is a horrible, graphic, disgusting movie, with no redeeming qualities whatsoever. The photography and special effects do their job, but who wants to be in Hell?
Adult Written bygnarlyxnicole July 19, 2019

rated R for a reason

I saw this film yesterday ( i’m 18 ). And I definitely am glad it’s rated R. There’s a seen of full nudity of men and women and a few pretty graphic scenes that could be sensitive to younger folks or families in general . I’m including ‘too much sex and violence’ because you should know what it includes in it even though it’s expected in a scary movie . Not a family movie at all definitely one to see if you’re 17 or older but other than that I wouldn’t think of seeing it with someone younger or sensitive to nudity, sex, or violence. Really good and interesting movie I loved it!!

Adult Written bysaadg125 July 17, 2019

Rated 18R for disturbing images, gore, strong bloody violence, adult themes, graphic nudity, strong sexual content, language and drug use.

The movie is slow burn and has a very unique style. At some times, it felt slower than it needed to be and it could have picked up more pace, but the climax is very intense and graphic and it includes graphic nudity with frontal nudity. Overall good art film for those who appreciates this kind of film making My age rating system: U for all PG parental guidance is necessary 12A under 12 requires adult accompany 15A under 15 requires adult accompany 15R restricted to those 15 and older 18R restricted to those 18 and older

Adult Written byHiimpaul3 July 16, 2019
Adult Written bySpaceCat555 July 13, 2019

Second worst movie I have ever seen

This movie has no redeeming qualities. Suicide, murder,full frontal nudity and sex scene are all here. Only Eraserhead was a worse movie and both are impossible to understand. I felt as if I was watching a satanical ritual. To avoid.