Kid reviews for Midsommar

Unsettling, high-class horror movie is extremely violent.

Teen, 14 years old Written bytilly05 July 11, 2019

DO NOT SEE

This movie looked like a classic horror movie in the trailer and I was excited for it for I love horror movies. I'm 14 and usually not scared of much so I like the thrill of a horror movie. Luckily, I went to see this movie with my friend (17) it started out good and I liked the plot, until after the second major death. After that the movie proceeded to get VERY weird. So many people were leaving the theater (including us) because of the amount of graphic content. This movie IS NOT WHAY IT SEEMS!!! DO NOT GO UNLESS YOU ARE 17 OR 18!!!!

Teen, 14 years old Written bypoptart87 July 12, 2019

Decent.

I really liked Hereditary, though I'd consider this as a bit of a step down for director Ari Aster. It definitely felt longer and also more predictable, and just really wasn't what I expected. Hereditary is a slowburn horror film in the vein of The Shining and Rosemary's Baby, whereas this film is more or less a dark fantasy where the unsettling aspect comes from the use of drugs. Didn't expect that. There's a lot to admire, though. The movie is admittedly innapropriate, but I don't think it's really as inappropriate as others on this site are making it out to be. The sex scene is really uncomfortable and unwarranted, sure, though it's over really quickly. There's honestly not that much violence although when there is it's graphic. A lot of images I would like removed from my head. Swearing and drug use are pretty moderate for a horror film though. And yeah some people were turned off by the cult stuff, as a Christian I really wasn't, especially since I knew from the beginning there would be a cult (it's in the synopsis and if you've seen Hereditary you know what you're getting into). It really depends on your tolerance level I guess. Some people might be really disturbed by this. I just walked out saying "huh, that was weird". It's really messed up though I have this at 14+ is that this movie isn't as gore-based as other horror films. There are, like, 3 or 4 gore scenes and that's it.
Teen, 14 years old Written bymerith July 21, 2019

Not as disturbing as people say it is

This was my first actual horror movie (before this all I'd seen was Child's Play which is more of a thriller and The Blair Witch Project which isn't scary at all) and didn't find this that disturbing. All the reviews were acting like it was super crazy and horrifying, but it wasn't really that disturbing for me. I would recommend looking up when the gory/sex scenes are, so that you can look away if you don't like that kind of thing, but if you know they're coming you should be fine. There was some pretty disturbing corpse imagery at the end, but it didn't really stick with me or freak me out after. I was more scared by the trailers before the movie than the actual thing. It was actually kind of an empowering breakup story with death and gore, and I would recommend it for mature 14 year olds and up. (Also the sex scene wasn't that bad, when it came on everyone in the theater started laughing at Christian's face.)

Teen, 13 years old Written byitzmeizzybee July 18, 2019

Very graphic and disturbing

Teen, 13 years old Written byBoxGaming July 15, 2019

VERY VERY DISTURBING

At the start of this movie I was amazed by the beautiful cinematography. It then started to ramp up slowly. A woman jumps off a cliff and lands straight on her face. Obliterating her entire face. Immediately after a man jumps off the same cliff to land on his legs. The legs break and bone is shown. The man is still alive and then gets finished off with 3 blows to the face with a mallet. His face slowly caves in during this scene. Then the drug use is in almost every scene of the movie. Then there was the most embarrassing moment I’ve ever sat through in a movie. A sex scene that almost felt 10 minutes long. Full frontal male and female nudity. Most graphic moment in any movie ever. DONT WASTE YOUR TIME AND MONEY.

Teen, 14 years old Written bysophiajwebb July 10, 2019

Disturbing

THIS IS A TRUE RATED R MOVIE. DO NOT bring a child under the age of 18 to see this movie. Most disturbing movie I’ve ever seen. Horrific and confusing for anyone. Won’t necessarily give you nightmares, but there are quite a few disturbing scenes. The movie begins with three deaths, and follows with a group of friends being brought into a cult and drugged. A suicide scene takes place in which two adults jump off of a cliff, one of which is brutally beaten to death. There is an extremely graphic sexual ceremony. The end of the movie follows with a ceremonial burning in which 3 people are burned alive. I honestly have no words to describe this movie. My mother is extremely disturbed and feels guilty for bringing me to this movie, having no idea of what she was getting into. That’s it I guess. *CHARACTERS APPEAR TO BE CONTINUOUSLY DRUGGED THROUGHOUT DURATION OF MOVIE*

Teen, 16 years old Written byGhoulGirl13 July 9, 2019

Wanna See A Weird Movie? This Movie Is For You!

It’s kinda hard to give it an exact rating because it’s just a very weird movie. It’s also disturbing at times. There is a full sex scene which was also very weird. Multiple curse words being used, disturbing themes (like pube hairs being consumed) and drug themes and use. I wouldn’t recommend bringing kids who can’t take a full scene like that, and also the violence. While this movie isn’t a jumpscare kinda movie, it’s more of the way things are disturbing is what makes it truly creepy and horrifying. It’s more psychological. I saw babies in the theater when I went, but I would not recommend that by any means...make sure if you’re seeing this that you’re mature. Because it definitely isn’t for kids. So if you think you saw a weird movie, you’re wrong. Watch this one and watch your opinion be changed.

Teen, 13 years old Written bySophiakamensky July 7, 2019

Beautiful movie, but disappointing

The cinematography in the movie is absolutely beautiful! I tried to give this movie the benefit of the doubt but it was a let down, especially in comparison to hereditary. There is a lot of up close gore including head trauma, gruesome corpses and , compound fractures. If gore is something you dont like I would not recommend this movie. Also there is full frontal nudity on males and females and a prolonged sex scene. Also barely any character development at all. Overall beautiful to look at, but it was very strange. The movie took on more than they could handle and did not execute everything properly. Also WAY TOO LONG

Kid, 12 years old July 7, 2019

Orgy’s and bashed in skulls

I think that this movie was very interesting. There was an orgy scene that was very cool to watch. Also an old lady jumped off a cliff, I do t know about you guys but to me, watching that was EPIC!

Teen, 15 years old Written byCharchar276 July 6, 2019

Great but very disturbing

Very violent with some brief non-sexual nudity there is a sex scene that is not seen but heard. But I think that the main problem with this movie is the violence this movie had graphic in your face violence that was gross and bloody. I love horror movies and am very mature and this movie was still to much for me so I say mature 15 year olds and up

Teen, 17 years old Written byThatOneKid123 July 3, 2019

Great movie

It was pretty good movie

Teen, 16 years old Written byCooldudeben July 1, 2019

Scary

Don’t be fooled by the innocent theme song “doing good feels good” it’s actually a show about two mobster unicorns in the mafia. In the pilot episode, the blue one runs into a gang and says he doesn’t have “the money” then pulls a gun and shoots ‘em! Yikes. Not for youngsters.