What parents need to know
Parents need to know that Miss Bala is a crime thriller starring Gina Rodriguez that's based on the same-named Spanish-language film from Mexico. After witnessing a gang massacre in Tijuana, Gloria (Rodriguez) is forced into a life of crime on the Mexico-USA border in order to save those she loves. Things get even more dangerous when she's offered an opportunity to be a double agent and must betray a charismatic crime lord. Expect tons of violence, including gunfire, explosions, and hand-to-hand combat, as well as sexual references and some swearing. This looks best for mature teens.
- In theaters: February 1, 2019
- Cast: Gina Rodriguez, Anthony Mackie, Ismael Cruz Cordova
- Director: Catherine Hardwicke
- Studio: Columbia Pictures
- Genre: Thriller
- Run time: 103 minutes
- MPAA rating: PG-13
- MPAA explanation: sequences of gun violence, sexual and drug content, thematic material, and language
For kids who love thrills
Our editors recommend
Common Sense Media's unbiased ratings are created by expert reviewers and aren't influenced by the product's creators or by any of our funders, affiliates, or partners.