Parent reviews for Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children Poster Image

Super Creepy and Long

My 8 and 10 years olds were completely traumatized with another friend watching this movie. After about a month of talking about it and them still being upset, I decided to watch it myself. It was terrifying for kids and there were some really repulsive parts (like eyeballs being eaten). It was a very long movie and I couldn't finish it myself. Do yourselves a favor and skip it.

3 people found this helpful.

Too scary, wish we'd given it a miss.

From the trailers I really thought this would be ok for my 11year old. He's seen plenty of 12's and doesn't generally scare easily. But this film is really scary. I'd call it more horror than creepy thriller. Really wish I'd watched it without him first. Wasn't even as good a story as I'd hoped... Really don't bother, wish I hadn't...

3 people found this helpful.

Too violent and macabre for 12-rating! Terrifying and unsettling.

My kids are 6&7, play online shooters and watched most 12-rated movies without a problem. However, this movie is absolutely terrifying. There are some gory and macabre scenes. In one, children's eyes are sucked out of their sockets and cannibalised by the mosters. In another, a peculiar child builds little abominations out of doll and animal parts, animates them (this being his "gift") and makes them fight each other "to the death". He then recalls how he used to do this with the real human bodies in his family's funeral parlour. It's an incredibly unsettling notion even for an adult viewer. Then they show a dead child whose eyeless body is still kept in the school and he can be reanimated by inserting his heart into his chest cavity. It's all like a really bad dream. There are little creepy twins with sacks over their heads and a girls with a monster mouth at the back of her neck. The mosters are terrifying, like eyeless slendermen with massive toothy jaws that split their heads almost in half. My kids couldn't sleep after watching the movie and are afraid of going downstairs on their own. I don't feel like they got anything out of watching this movie apart from nightmares. The rating is incredibly ill-judged and to me it aligns better with 15-rated movies I don't let my children watch.

1 person found this helpful.

Great film, but definitely not for children!

Took my middle aged mother to see this and she hated it is, she was terrified the whole way through. I definitely would not let kids see this, and I am shocked that it is marketed for kids. However, for older teens/teens that don't mind scary movies and gore, it is a very good film, albeit very creepy!

Frightening and gruesome

Far too frightening for almost all of the 12/13 year olds I took to see it. Other mother there and I were looking at each other in horror. It is very gruesome and nightmarish, really not for younger children. The only film where I have complained to the BBFC about the rating (a 12 here in the UK) .

Too scary!

We started to watch this with my 11 1/2 year old nephew. After less than 5 minutes we had to shut it off. He ended up having a nightmare about the kid running through the woods and turning his grandpa over and his eyes were gone, freaky. Rated PG-13 for a reason, not for kids under 13years old!

Too traumatizing

My 9 year old was pretty disturbed by the film. She feels like 14 is a more appropriate age. Even if your child has read the books, the graphic nature and violence of the live action film can be unsettling. My daughter is still freaked out whenever she sees anything about the movie and it’s been over a year. Proceed with caution.

A little dark...

I have rated this movie as okay for 12 and up, BUT this will depend on your child. The movie has a dark undertone. There is violence and death and the imagery can be quite frightening. That being said, the language is clean and there is almost zero sexuality (a mild, non-sexual romance between Jacob and one of the girls). Some kids might be far too frightened to see this and others might be totally un-phased. It will very much depend on individual temperaments. This could be okay for a child as young as 10, but many may find it disturbing because of how realistic the "evil" monsters and people look.

Amazing Movie

Im18, to start off with and I absolutely hate horror films. I get scared so easily and get grossed out by the slightest bit of violence. That being said this movie did not scare me at all. I absolutely loved this movie, I haven’t read the books but I definitely plan to. Parents who think this is too gory for kids probably don’t let there kids watch anything. The plot line is well thought through and I love how it gives a back story to the main character. Now I will admit this movie has a kissing scene and a scene where the monster are eating children eyes but I wasn’t in the slightest bit terrified or grossed out at this. That’s coming from someone that gets scared over those joke scary movies. Anyway 10 out of 10 would recommend watching!!

Brilliant but its creepy

It’s a great film & My 11 yr old son enjoyed most of it but I have to say there are some scary visuals in this film! There are a number of scenes that are genuinely scary/shocking. I appreciate that not all kids will be scared but we ended up having to switch it off about 3/4 way through because my son got really scared.