All parent member reviews for Monster House

Parent Written byTanz35 June 3, 2012

A great movie - fun, scary and without the need for a 'moral'.

I thought it was a great movie and a good introduction to scary movies for younger children. The positives of the movie were the way that both boys and girls worked together, the way that the 'odd neighbor' was shown as being a rounded person and not so odd after all, and of course there was the kid's wish fulfillment of being able to sort their problems themselves, without having to rely upon adults :) There is no swearing or sex in the movie, no consumerism and surprisingly little violence. However there was a rather glaring negative; the way that Nebbercracker's wife Constance, and DJ's 'sidekick' Chowder are portrayed. They are both shown as being lesser due to being fat - Chowder is shown as socially inept and Constance is shown as being a grunting sub-human creature who should expect and put up with having rocks, etc., thrown at her. It was good movie overall but I think any parent who lets their kids watch this needs to have a good talk afterwards about stereotypes are wrong (and why) and how fat people are - surprise! - just normal people like everyone else.
Adult Written byNanci23 April 9, 2008

HATED IT - NOT FOR CHILDREN - NOT FOR ANYONE

The animation is horrendous, what the characters do is awful, what they say is terrible. What nerve to target this to children. I suppose it is easier to produce garbage these days then quality. It was repulsive.
Parent Written bytreat02 January 20, 2013

It's good.

This, I warn, could scare the crap out of some kids. But, if you're around age 9, nothing should be very scary, it should be more entertaining. Seriously, no sex at all. They have a crush. Sure, they kiss once. Not very bad. Puberty is mentioned. There are some parts where, for example, a skeleton is shown. (There aren't any pop outs). Also, the House "eats" it's victims. But, SPOILER at the end the victims come out.
Adult Written by3aboodTube November 22, 2015

The best cartoon in the world

Very great film with family but maybe scary for under 12 years old
Parent Written bydclina2984 October 23, 2015

Wow!!

I even stole drugs for you!!! Really?!?!?! What kid movie says that? Good thing to teach kids to do...... very inappropriate!!!!!
Parent Written byStephanie525 January 6, 2015

too creepy

There is nothing enjoyable about this movie. It's scared my 2 year old and I found it awkward and creepy. The characters drink beer, wave guns, steal, break and enter. There's an old man who terrified the kids off the neighborhood and I haven't even mentioned the creepy morphing house that literally eats people.
Parent of a 3, 5, and 7 year old Written byjpatterson86 October 8, 2013

Inappropriate

I found it really inappropriate. So I didn't care for the movie, in general, but what really bothered me was what the little girl told the boys. They were tying to tell her to stay out of the "monster house". So she asked them if they were "mentally challenged". Then she told them, "If so, I'm certified in teaching you baseball". Now, I just so happen to have two children with Autism, and I for one can say that if another child was to ask my kids if they were "mentally challenged", just because they were acting "strange", I would not be a happy mom. I would be pretty angry and hurt. I don't feel that this kind of stereotyping should be in a movie for children. I think it only makes bullies think that their negative comments are humorous. I would also imagine it offending children that are mentally challenged, if they are aware of their disabilities.
Adult Written bywonder dove April 19, 2013

Cute family "horror" ideal for 9+

Monster House is way better than a lot of other creepy movies targeted towards kids! Some people here are complaining that the movie is too scary.....let me remind you that it is supposed to be scary (hence the title!!!) If you do not like stories that involve frightening situations, simply stay away instead of bashing them. I find this animated film really cool and good for kids with lots of action. Perfect for Halloween! It centers around a kid and his friends who discover that their neighbors creepy house is an actual monster that can eat you (or suck you into the home!) A very neat and different idea! The characters look real, the effects are awesome and kids will have a great time! For language, there is always going to be some words that a parent won't like, but kids will likely NOT notice. It is pretty mild in this. Violence is average with an alive house that eats people and objects, violent video games and scary action towards the end. Sexual content is barely there - just an immature boyfriend fooling around and bothering his girlfriend while babysitting - she throws him out of the house. Also mild references to the boyfriend drinking beer. Okay for families with kids who like scary themed movies - ages 9+ is ideal.
Adult Written bycalliegallie October 13, 2009

Iffy for 10-11 year olds

This movie was pretty scary for some kids. A good thing in the movie was that it showed people working together and that boys and girls can be friends. I thought it was a scary movie.
Parent of a 9 year old Written byMom 2 Seth October 3, 2009

fine for tweens, not for younger kids

I wouldn't want my son to see this if her were under 10. Luckily, he didn't ask questions about references to puberty and drinking and he didn't get the "get off" comment about the babysitter's boyfriend being "on top of her". Movie would have been just as good without these parts. I'll never understand why movie makers feel the need to include this stuff in kid's movies.
Adult Written byhomer2 April 9, 2008

a bit scary and fun to watch.

i liked the movie and it was scary.the house a bit scarry but not terrifying.
Adult Written byjtjcolson April 9, 2008

Some things surprised me...

I was not comfortable with God's name taken in vain and thought it was unnecessary. I was not thrilled when the babysitter blackmailed the child into doing what she wanted. Having a "boy" in the house late at night "wrestling" on the couch and floor I found unacceptable. In addition, it was obvious to me that what was in his bottle was beer. He seemed drunk as he left the house. Issues that can be explained but I would limit to children above 7.
Parent Written byyuimarybeld December 11, 2015

Monster house

Happy
Parent Written bytootsweet November 1, 2015

Monster House is no Pixar

Contrary to your review (and I usually respect your reviews), the stars do not align for this movie, and it is no Pixar. I've discovered that Spielberg projects often have a mean streak running through them (the rape scene in Back to the Future, the cursing, the high body counts), and this is no exception . The babysitter and her boyfriend and the neighbor are appallingly mean and my 10-year-old was shocked.
Adult Written byclarence August 5, 2015
Adult Written bykeeyan January 29, 2012

this movie is so awesome

this movie is really awesome but it has cartoon violent and a tiny bit scary
Adult Written byDr.Pepper October 25, 2010

Just for the older crowd...

Violence: Plenty of scary scenes including the house "eating" people, a skeleton, and a scene where it looked like a man died. Sex: Boys have a crush on a girl and talk about how great it is to have kissed a girl on the lips. A running joke is that one of kids is going through puberty. A character pretends to make out with a stuffed animal. A guy tries to "have his way" with his girlfriend. Language: One "crap" and several "oh my god"'s and "screw" in many different slang phrases. Drugs: A character (unclear if a teenager or young adult) is drinking what appears to be beer. Also a kid about 12 or 13 asks if there is any beer in the house.
Parent of a 5 and 8 year old Written bykerrie512 June 15, 2010

13 and over, maybe

Rented this movie for my 5 and 8 year old not knowing what it was, $5.00 mistake. Had to turn it off after 10 minutes, too scary, bad language.
Adult Written bysmoothmoves97 December 1, 2009

Depends on how easily scared you are.

I don't like this movie cuz I just think the plot is kinda stupid. I mean, a house that's alive and eats things? That's kinda the same as saying my computer is gonna get up and start tap dancing. Other people might like it, but I wouldn't watch it with anyone under 10 or anyone scared easily.
Parent of a 17 year old Written bylove2 September 24, 2009

only SLIGHTLY SCARY

this movie is great. My 5 year old cousin watched this movie and was only SLIGHTLY scared by it but hey he wasnt so scared that he cried or had nightmares or nothing