All parent member reviews for Monsters University

Parent Written byriorhu July 13, 2013

Hate this movie, what it did to my 4 year old kid!

I hate this movie, I mean what it did to my 4 year old kid. He wasn´t afraid of darkness, even he used to like some scary stuff but not in his room while he is sleeping!! The other day he slept on the floor close to the door of the bathroom because there is a light. I am so pissed!! Should be rated PG!! I want to sue them, this was my worst decision as a father.
Parent of a 6 year old Written byslm76 June 27, 2013

SCARY

This is a REALLY scary movie. The premise of this movie is for monsters to sneak into children's bedrooms in the night and scare them. The louder the kids scream, the bigger the accomplishment. If your children don't like the idea of people/monsters sneaking into their room at night, you might want to skip this one.
Parent of a 1 and 4 year old Written byResearchMom42 July 6, 2013

Scarier than the first one. Be sure your kid can handle it.

Scare Level. I am amazed people think this movie is okay for young kids. Even during the movie, we heard little kids telling their moms they wanted to leave and wanted to go home. There were kids as young as 3 in the theater watching this movie, and they got scared. It's a little scarier than the first movie (Monsters, Inc.). Think about the scene in the first movie where Sully is captured on camera doing his scare demonstration, and the little girl sees him on the screen and starts crying. That's the level of scary in many scenes of this movie. If you're kid can handle that, great. But if your kid is the super sensitive type, this may not be a good match. Humor. This movie is funny, just like the first one. But I would venture to say it's filled with even more adult humor than the first one. That might make it a little less enjoyable for some kids. The adult humor isn't really anything inappropriate, it's just stuff that many kids wouldn't understand.
Parent of a 5, 8, and 11 year old Written byekolson June 23, 2013

typical Pixar drama

This is just another typical Pixar drama where the main character goes on a quest to become a better person. The plot is just so-so. They do introduce the ideas of sororities and fraternities which may be confusing to some younger children. Also, a few of the monsters are kind of scary, so I would not recommend it for younger kids. My 5 year old brother kept wanting to leave because of a few dramatic or scary scenes. Overall, this movie is just meh.
Adult Written byDr.Pepper June 21, 2013

Better than the original

Parents need to know that this movie does have a few potentially scary moments. They include scenes where monsters are using scare simulators (like in the original), pretty much any scene with the dean (she looks like a dragon/centipede mix and is quite mean), a gigantic squid-like librarian chasing after the main characters, and a massive explosion of a door to the human world after too much scream power is harnessed.
Adult Written bymaddox121 July 2, 2015

University of Scaring

Violence-Cartoon Sex-An Insist (Older son and mom) Language- "dang" is as strong as it goes drugs-JOX party
Parent of a 6 year old Written bySheSpeeds November 18, 2013

It was okay, but not great

My 6 year old thought this movie was scary and we left the theater. And if this movie is the first impression kids will get about college, the values in it aren't that great either.
Parent Written byDarcyhem August 27, 2013

Sensitive kids-- BEWARE!!!

This movie scared my 4 year old and 7 year old a lot. The bedtime scenes of monsters sneaking into kid's bedrooms while they sleep to scare them in nuanced ways was truly horrifying to them. My 4 year old and 6 year old have been waking throughout the night the past 2 nights. I would NOT recommend this movie for kids under 7-- especially sensitive kids.
Parent of an infant, infant, infant, 10, 10, and 18 year old Written byParentofwisdom August 25, 2013

Might Be Scary For Kids Under 6

My two 10 year olds loved this movie and had to see it twice. but i'm looking around and seeing 4 and 5 year olds closing their eyes and freaking out.
Parent of a 9 and 13 year old Written byfastraxsg August 19, 2013

bad ending in my opinion

monsters might scare younger kids. this movie is made beautifully but the ending is not what we would hope for.
Parent of a 3 and 5 year old Written byangelakramer August 7, 2013

Monsters University

Overall, this movie was good. DD3 was scared in the scene with Dean HardScrabble, to the point where she almost cried (until Mommy gave her more popcorn ;-) ). DD5 was okay during the movie. The beginning is cute, the end is good, but the middle is...a snore, if you will.
Parent of a 5, 9, 10, and 12 year old Written bycrabby39 July 31, 2013

A Must-see

I loved this film. I am a big fan of all Pixar films, and this was no exception because it is a traditional Pixar film where the characters serve the story, you get to see the way a bond builds between Mike and Sully, the plot was brilliant, and the film finished where Monsters Inc. started, so you could really see how the two films fitted together. It was crystal clear animation, and the amount of detail put into the fur or skins of the monsters and their surroundings was stunning. Having watched this in 3D, it is definitely worth a couple of extra quid for this version because there were depths to the images and the characters had a visible roundness to them.
Parent Written byDesert dweller July 21, 2013

More Intense, Less Funny than Monsters, Inc.

Just got home after seeing this with my 8 year old. My best advice...know your child. This movie is not nearly as funny as Monsters Inc and is much more intense. There are a couple of plot points were Mike and/or Sully break school rules, laws, or ethics which disturbed my son. Also, the climactic scene is very intense...almost getting caught in the human world. We had to leave the theater and go back in when it was over. When the movie was over, his comment was "it should have been PG."
Parent of a 8, 9, and 12 year old Written bybchicmomma July 14, 2013

Fine entertainment with a little (disappointing) ending

It was entertaining for sure, liked the plot twists of the frenemies . Was fine with the formulaic rest of the movie, but what left an overriding dampness for me after the movie was over and this morning is the ***SPOILER ALERT**** fact that it was ok to not finish college, that bummed me out
Parent Written byzaziebear July 11, 2013

Great movie in many ways, but not great for kids.

I liked this movie... as an adult. The plot is strong and the message -- that everyone needs to go their own way, and persistence is valuable -- a good one. The characters are clever and interesting and easy to root for. BUT.... I disagree with previous reviewers who think it's appropriate for 5-year-olds. My 6-year-old had to leave the theater twice because of Dean Hardscrabble. You see two initiation scenes with bullying and very unkind behavior. The "first" ending would have been so much more appropriate for young kids... but the producers chose to tack on a second ending that ended it for us -- we left. Ultimately, the comfort zone here is for kids who are old enough to tolerate the scary stuff (I'd say over 6) but young enough to miss the many references to frat behavior (under 9?) -- it's a narrow window.
Parent Written byizzycoffe July 8, 2013

Awesome movie, loved it!

An excellent screenplay, fun, with a good message and for all ages, totally recommended. The only thing I can point out is that this sequel is not as fun as the first one, but it's still hilarious and the plot is pretty cool.
Parent Written byKSE July 8, 2013

Not the best message to send to kids

I was so excited to take my 7 year old twins to see this movie. It seems that Pixar always does such a good job weaving amazing animation with a good story. However, I found this movie to be disappointing. The main characters are entertaining but I was a little uneasy with the fact that the movie seems to suggest that you can lie, cheat, and break into places with minimal consequences. *SPOILER ALERT* The characters ultimately get expelled but what the heck, it all turns out fine. Not sure this is a message I want my kids to pay much attention to.
Parent of a 10 year old Written byadvicegiver13 July 6, 2013

READ THIS!!!!

I think it is a great movie my 10 year old and 7 year old loved it so it works for older kids too. very funny and it also shows competitive team work. not inappropriate, there are some college things to but its not inappropriate. All in all its is a great family movie that will be show on the bus on a field trip couple years from now.
Parent Written bySpidermanFan1993 July 6, 2013

The Monster's Are BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was waiting to see this movie because I was a fan of the original movie when I was a kid. This is a prequel to the original Monsters movie. This movie has little to no violence. Also there is some bullying in the movie but nothing extremely bad. Overall, this movie was another satisfying movie put out by Pixar and is appropriate for the whole family to go see. I strongly recommend it.
Parent of a 8, 11, and 13 year old Written byCherry_Blossoms July 5, 2013

Amazing book good for mature tweens

Best children's movie ever. Everyone always says "the second ones are never as good as the first," so I wasn't very much excited to see it. But the movie did not disappoint a bit! Thank you Disney!