Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for Monsters University

Monsters Inc. prequel is a fun college comedy for all ages.

Parent Written byriorhu July 13, 2013

Hate this movie, what it did to my 4 year old kid!

I hate this movie, I mean what it did to my 4 year old kid. He wasn´t afraid of darkness, even he used to like some scary stuff but not in his room while he is sleeping!! The other day he slept on the floor close to the door of the bathroom because there is a light. I am so pissed!! Should be rated PG!! I want to sue them, this was my worst decision as a father.
Parent of a 1 and 4 year old Written byResearchMom42 July 6, 2013

Scarier than the first one. Be sure your kid can handle it.

Scare Level. I am amazed people think this movie is okay for young kids. Even during the movie, we heard little kids telling their moms they wanted to leave and wanted to go home. There were kids as young as 3 in the theater watching this movie, and they got scared. It's a little scarier than the first movie (Monsters, Inc.). Think about the scene in the first movie where Sully is captured on camera doing his scare demonstration, and the little girl sees him on the screen and starts crying. That's the level of scary in many scenes of this movie. If you're kid can handle that, great. But if your kid is the super sensitive type, this may not be a good match. Humor. This movie is funny, just like the first one. But I would venture to say it's filled with even more adult humor than the first one. That might make it a little less enjoyable for some kids. The adult humor isn't really anything inappropriate, it's just stuff that many kids wouldn't understand.
Parent of a 8, 9, and 12 year old Written bybchicmomma July 14, 2013

Fine entertainment with a little (disappointing) ending

It was entertaining for sure, liked the plot twists of the frenemies . Was fine with the formulaic rest of the movie, but what left an overriding dampness for me after the movie was over and this morning is the ***SPOILER ALERT**** fact that it was ok to not finish college, that bummed me out
Parent Written byDarcyhem August 27, 2013

Sensitive kids-- BEWARE!!!

This movie scared my 4 year old and 7 year old a lot. The bedtime scenes of monsters sneaking into kid's bedrooms while they sleep to scare them in nuanced ways was truly horrifying to them. My 4 year old and 6 year old have been waking throughout the night the past 2 nights. I would NOT recommend this movie for kids under 7-- especially sensitive kids.
Parent of a 6 year old Written byslm76 June 27, 2013

SCARY

This is a REALLY scary movie. The premise of this movie is for monsters to sneak into children's bedrooms in the night and scare them. The louder the kids scream, the bigger the accomplishment. If your children don't like the idea of people/monsters sneaking into their room at night, you might want to skip this one.

Parent of a 3 and 5 year old Written byMarie L. July 29, 2016

More scary then Monsters Inc.

I was expecting less scariness then the first one... I was so wrong. It was projected in the park nearby, so we went. My 5 year-old was SO scared and I kept thinking it was just for a moment, but scary scenes kept coming... I wonder how she will manage in the following days... And my kids didn't laugh at any joke. I feel like all the jokes are adult oriented. There are not that many jokes that young kids can understand... There are still great messages and their are good discussions to have with the kids, but right now, all my kids can retain is that it was scary...
Parent of a 6 year old Written bySheSpeeds November 18, 2013

It was okay, but not great

My 6 year old thought this movie was scary and we left the theater. And if this movie is the first impression kids will get about college, the values in it aren't that great either.

Adult Written byzaziebear July 11, 2013

Great movie in many ways, but not great for kids.

I liked this movie... as an adult. The plot is strong and the message -- that everyone needs to go their own way, and persistence is valuable -- a good one. The characters are clever and interesting and easy to root for. BUT.... I disagree with previous reviewers who think it's appropriate for 5-year-olds. My 6-year-old had to leave the theater twice because of Dean Hardscrabble. You see two initiation scenes with bullying and very unkind behavior. The "first" ending would have been so much more appropriate for young kids... but the producers chose to tack on a second ending that ended it for us -- we left. Ultimately, the comfort zone here is for kids who are old enough to tolerate the scary stuff (I'd say over 6) but young enough to miss the many references to frat behavior (under 9?) -- it's a narrow window.
Parent of a 5, 8, and 11 year old Written byekolson June 23, 2013

typical Pixar drama

This is just another typical Pixar drama where the main character goes on a quest to become a better person. The plot is just so-so. They do introduce the ideas of sororities and fraternities which may be confusing to some younger children. Also, a few of the monsters are kind of scary, so I would not recommend it for younger kids. My 5 year old brother kept wanting to leave because of a few dramatic or scary scenes. Overall, this movie is just meh.
Adult Written byDr.Pepper June 21, 2013

Better than the original

Parents need to know that this movie does have a few potentially scary moments. They include scenes where monsters are using scare simulators (like in the original), pretty much any scene with the dean (she looks like a dragon/centipede mix and is quite mean), a gigantic squid-like librarian chasing after the main characters, and a massive explosion of a door to the human world after too much scream power is harnessed.

Parent of a 10 and 10 year old Written bymaddox121 July 2, 2015

University of Scaring

Violence-Cartoon Sex-An Insist (Older son and mom) Language- "dang" is as strong as it goes drugs-JOX party

Parent of a 9 and 12 year old Written bybrent.csm July 2, 2013

Teachy but not preachy fun!

I didn't really like the original movie, but really enjoyed the prequel. I especially liked some of the themes in it for the kids, of which there were many. It introduces the idea of college to learn your professional career, and rewards hard work while admonishing overconfidence. It also manages to touch on teamwork, individuality, determination and popularity all without wavering from the story telling, a bit of a kids-oriented homage to "Revenge of the Nerds". Well done!

Educational Value
Parent of a 8 year old Written byLaurie O. October 29, 2017

Scary for an 8 year old

My eight year old son and I watched this movie last night. He found it scary and had difficulty going to sleep afterwards. The concept of monsters scaring children in their room while they sleep is too scary for super sensitive kids. Also the scenes of peril were intense and too much for him to handle. Would definitely say the movie should be rated PG.
Adult Written byMichael Loughrie March 24, 2016
Parent of a 4 and 8 year old Written byBuckyD November 7, 2013

Loved the movie, needed to parent the younger one after.

I really enjoyed this movie, as did my 7, almost 8, year old. She did not find it too scary, even though she's usually very sensitive to peril and suspense. She's also old enough and been in school long enough to understand the meaning behind the humorous name calling scenes and not emulate them. My 4 year old, however, needs a bit more coaching on not using the words "jerk", "idiot", etc. that were introduced to him in this movie. Being in preschool, where everyone is your "friend", he's not quite with the ubiquitous anti-bullying program yet, so seeing the taunting and such on screen presented as funny stuff wasn't all that great for his development. Time to parent, I guess, and make it a teachable moment. He typically doesn't get scared at movies, so the fright scenes weren't a problem for him. I wasn't keen on the message that it's okay to get kicked out of college and not persevere elsewhere, more for the 7 year old than the 4 year old (sailed right over his head), but that's life. This was a fun movie, although I was just a little surprised it earned the G with the thinly-veiled college taunting/drinking/etc scenes!

Parent of an infant, infant, infant, 10, 10, and 18+ year old Written byParentofwisdom August 25, 2013

Might Be Scary For Kids Under 6

My two 10 year olds loved this movie and had to see it twice. but i'm looking around and seeing 4 and 5 year olds closing their eyes and freaking out.

Parent of a 9 and 13 year old Written byfastraxsg August 19, 2013

bad ending in my opinion

monsters might scare younger kids. this movie is made beautifully but the ending is not what we would hope for.

Educational Value
Adult Written byRarityfan August 10, 2013

Summer 2013 in a nutshell. Here be spoilers.

Summer 2013 is on the last days. Looking back at summer 2013 there were many highlights including this prequel. We see Mike as a monster kid and his class on a field trip to the factory we will return to. Then Mike meets Sully at the university and the villain of next movie Randalf. In this version of monster fantasies it is not enough to say boo, you have to be educated. There are a lot of edge your seat moments, but also many lighthearted moments too. In a twist MIke is scared by a bunch kids in a dark cabin. Mike and Sully scares some cops to get the door open to their dimension. Randalf is painted with hearts..Mike kisses Sully by an accident. With bad language Mike and Sully insults each other, but they end up good together. Pixar has a long line of special edition DVDs for consume. Of easter eggs there are merchandise for the next movie.

Parent of a 3 and 5 year old Written byangelakramer August 7, 2013

Monsters University

Overall, this movie was good. DD3 was scared in the scene with Dean HardScrabble, to the point where she almost cried (until Mommy gave her more popcorn ;-) ). DD5 was okay during the movie. The beginning is cute, the end is good, but the middle is...a snore, if you will.

Parent of a 5, 9, 10, and 12 year old Written bycrabby39 July 31, 2013

A Must-see

I loved this film. I am a big fan of all Pixar films, and this was no exception because it is a traditional Pixar film where the characters serve the story, you get to see the way a bond builds between Mike and Sully, the plot was brilliant, and the film finished where Monsters Inc. started, so you could really see how the two films fitted together. It was crystal clear animation, and the amount of detail put into the fur or skins of the monsters and their surroundings was stunning. Having watched this in 3D, it is definitely worth a couple of extra quid for this version because there were depths to the images and the characters had a visible roundness to them.