All member reviews for Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Nonstop hilarity for families; some bawdy humor, profanity.

Parent of a 12 and 14 year old Written byskmaxwell June 26, 2009

Monty Python Humor never intended for kids!

I love it as an adult but just don't think that it is age appropriate for kids. I had first watched it long ago and remembered the humor in it. I watched it again before showing it to my 14 and 11 year old and decided within the first 15 minutes they wouldn't be seeing it soon.
Teen, 17 years old Written byoctober1985 October 12, 2009

Most people seem to like this film the best out of all the Python films. I personally liked "Life Of Brian" more and have not seen "Meaning Of Life" yet. Don't let the PG-rating fool you. It's at least a hard PG-13. It's fairly violent and bloody, there are sexual references and I believe I heard about 1 use of the f-word. If you removed the nudity from "Life Of Brian", it would actually be tamer than this film imo. If your let your kids watch violent films, then you will have no problem with this one.
Adult Written byjanwatches April 9, 2008

Teen, 15 years old Written byjulius beetroot August 5, 2012

I was appalled by the level of violence and offensive jokes in this movie!!!

I was really excited to watch this movie with my friends. I knew there would be some violence and inappropriate jokes, but I figured I could get past those and enjoy the movie. What I saw appalled me! The first few minutes were quite entertaining, but then stuff started happening like a man going through a village with a cart collecting dead people. Funny? I don't think so. The violence never stops either. A historian gets his throat slit by a knight riding by on a horse and his wife runs out to see if he can still be okay, a misinformed knight runs through a wedding party and randomly kills innocent people, you hear it mentioned that King Arthur and his knights ate his minstrels. This movie isn't only violently and inappropriately offensive( I luckily missed most of the inappropriate scene), it's offensive to religion. Monks are seen walking through the street hitting themselves in the head with planks. A man eating bunny gets ceremoniously blown up with "the holy hand grenade." I called my mom and asked her to pick me up( which she luckily did) before the movie had even finished! Please do yourself and your kids a favor by saying no to Monty Python!
Teen, 13 years old Written bySpielberg00 June 6, 2011

I pity whoever can stop laughing.

My rating: PG-13 for some language, bloody comic violence, and for satirical humor throughout including some double entendres and innuendo.
Kid, 12 years old April 19, 2013

Holy Grail

Ok except for fake gore and a sexual offer.
Teen, 13 years old Written bysarahzazzle January 7, 2012

Great!

This was my FAV movie when I was 5! some of the humor flys over kids heads. Love it.
Teen, 15 years old Written bysoxson November 24, 2011

EVERYONE HAS 2 SEE THIS!!!!

the whole world HAS to see this movie. i LOVE the part where the french knights are taunting king arthur and is yelling stuff like "I will fart in your general direction!" i liked also the killer rabbit and the knight who say NI and the 3 headed giants knights
Teen, 14 years old Written bySafemancam001 November 22, 2011

Great PG-13ish British comedy

Great movie, very funny. Weather you like it or not depends on weather you like British humor. The best scene has to be the Bridge of Doom scene. LOL. By today's standard's the movie is PG-13. It has some bad language, but I bet a lot of kids older than 9 have heard the words before. The part that I would say is off for 11 and under is the part where in a castle full of virgins one says they each want to give oral sex to Sir Galahad. Nothing happens though because Sir Galahad is "recued" by Sir Lancelot, I believe. Great movie, very funny, if you like British humor you should watch it.
Parent of a 8 year old Written byLAlawyermom March 19, 2011

A little edgy; depends on your kid; but so worth it!

I loved this movie, so I had to share it when my precocious kid was all about comedies -- but you do have to be prepared to explain a few things or let them fly over their heads - and I definitely always fastforward through the castle virgins sequence before we can get to the parts about spankings/oral sex! Otherwise, as long as your kid can understand that some of the language and comedy is completely silly and of course you woudl never say or do, I think it is fine. he loved it. Now quotes all the skits.
Teen, 16 years old Written byBrendan Conway March 9, 2011

Saw this in school and was funny
Teen, 14 years old Written bybobbeta30 June 1, 2010

: D

Hilarious! One of the funniest movies I've seen in my life! That rabbit was a bit scary, though. The only problem I had with I was that castle full of girls. That part was kind of weird watching it with my 9-year-old brother.
Adult Written byDanaRae March 10, 2010

Teen, 13 years old Written byRevampedstone0 March 16, 2014

Funny

Great for anyone over 10. Many sexual references and fake blood but it is not over done.
Adult Written bytolkien geek mi October 7, 2013

Esoteric and Ridiculous

I watched Monty Python and the Holy Grail after I'd just finished Geoffrey of Monmouth's History of the Kings of Britain. Needless to say, it was a pleasant transition. Classic, brilliant gag's like the swallows carrying coconuts are dabbled with sexuality and some very slapstick violence. The bunny dragon is rather bloody, but very ridiculously so. Overall Python is a little esoteric and a little inappropriate, but a great choice for teens.
Kid, 10 years old November 3, 2012

Something completely different, but outstanding

I have to say that this may be the first proper review from this section here. I've watched this film in full on my PSP (I have it as an disc), and I must say it DESERVES to be on every single Top *insert number here* Comedy film lists, and it may be inappropriate for me, but I need to say this: "i'm 9 years old and what is this? i know" The film's humor may not make all people laugh, but for those who like surreal humour, it will, completely. Even though there is an 30% amount of violence and sex references, I almost need to consider this the best comedy film of the 1970's! (that teenagers can watch)
Parent of a 6 year old Written bymadsmooney1214 June 1, 2012

monty python and the holy grail

button). And with all the quotable bits, it's just a matter of time before they're saying "Ni!" and "It's just a flesh wound."Families can talk about the way the Monty Python crew lampoons the King Arthur legend and movies. Kids: name other movies that are similarly humorous parodies of classic epic tales.
Teen, 16 years old Written byDearos August 11, 2011

A classic.

It's Monty Python. That should be enough for any review but that wouldn't be very interesting now would it? Monty Python and the Holy Grail is probably their best work it is funny, edgy and insanely silly. There are so many great scenes and lines in this film it's amazing. If you don't like this film then I must say that your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries. You probably even think coconuts migrate don't you?
Kid, 12 years old June 20, 2011

Great movie

It's a great movie. There is some sexual talking but nothing happens.
Kid, 12 years old May 1, 2011

it was pretty funny, but kinda edgy