Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Nonstop hilarity for families; some bawdy humor, profanity.

Parent of a 12 and 14 year old Written byskmaxwell June 26, 2009

Monty Python Humor never intended for kids!

I love it as an adult but just don't think that it is age appropriate for kids. I had first watched it long ago and remembered the humor in it. I watched it again before showing it to my 14 and 11 year old and decided within the first 15 minutes they wouldn't be seeing it soon.

Adult Written byjanwatches April 9, 2008
Parent of a 7 and 10 year old Written byMattmchugh February 14, 2011

Such a great movie comedy... not sure for what ages

I'm on the fence about letting my 10-year-old son watch this. On one level, it's a brilliant comedy, full of the kind of subversive silliness that kids edging toward adolescence need. Yes, I said "need"; rebelling against adult moral restriction is a important step in pre-teen maturation, and embracing inappropriate humor is one of the healthiest ways to do it. Still, I'm not sure I'm ready to explain to my kid why a bevy of young women might be excited by the prospect of getting a spanking... and I sure don't want to have to answer the question, "What's oral sex?" Still, these are just quick, bawdy touches in a film so packed with brainy wit and goofball schtick that I'm wondering if I can't just cough at a few opportune moments to bleep the naughty bits. 'Tis a puzzlement.

Parent of a 16 year old Written byreallybusy July 15, 2010

Parents should watch it first

The tricky thing about Monty Python in general is not the cartoonish sex and violence, but the style of humor. Nobody kind of likes Monty Python: one loves it or one hates it. Those who hate it are taking it too seriously. It's classic 10-year-old-boy humor, and no-one does that better than the British. It's hilarious. The story assumes you know the Arthur legends and a little bit about the historical relationship between the English and the Norman/French (standard English history curricula), but it is ridiculously funny even without. My kids first saw this at 10 and 12 and we relied a bit on the over-the-head factor. At 16 and 18 they watch it every few months, reciting all the way, and agree that the Pythons are true geniuses.

Parent of a 8 year old Written byLAlawyermom March 19, 2011

A little edgy; depends on your kid; but so worth it!

I loved this movie, so I had to share it when my precocious kid was all about comedies -- but you do have to be prepared to explain a few things or let them fly over their heads - and I definitely always fastforward through the castle virgins sequence before we can get to the parts about spankings/oral sex! Otherwise, as long as your kid can understand that some of the language and comedy is completely silly and of course you woudl never say or do, I think it is fine. he loved it. Now quotes all the skits.

Parent of a 10, 12, and 13 year old Written bySnout-Dog January 10, 2011

A classic must-see

One of the funniest movies ever! My sons saw it at age 11 and my daughter at age 9. We now own the DVD and they have watched it many times. Sometimes they pop it in just to watch the credits (hilarious) They quote it all the time and act out the spoofish comedy. The only thing of which to beware it the castle with the vestal virgins. I just do a little FF at the point where "oral sex" is mentioned, and all is well.

Adult Written bytolkien geek mi October 7, 2013

Esoteric and Ridiculous

I watched Monty Python and the Holy Grail after I'd just finished Geoffrey of Monmouth's History of the Kings of Britain. Needless to say, it was a pleasant transition. Classic, brilliant gag's like the swallows carrying coconuts are dabbled with sexuality and some very slapstick violence. The bunny dragon is rather bloody, but very ridiculously so. Overall Python is a little esoteric and a little inappropriate, but a great choice for teens.

Adult Written bymtpalmer April 9, 2008

Classic Comedy

Yeah some people don't get it and think it is stupid, but it is a hilarious movie. I recently watched it with my soon to be 11 year old son and his friend and they thought it was the greatest thing since sliced bread. The only iffy part is the scene with the virgins and the request for oral sex. The violence is comedic and laughable. Great for those soon to be teenagers that are growing out of the cartoon movies
Adult Written bydanceteras January 6, 2015
Adult Written byFiggy66 July 26, 2010

Ok for 10 year old

Funny as heck lets your kids see itif there 10 plus. I lauged so hard on the make sure he doesnt leave part and the french part. My 7 year old brother saw it.

Parent of a 17 year old Written byJesusrulz666 July 24, 2010

Monthy Python- Best British Comedians!

Well, it was mostly dark humor. There's a sexual innuendo scene and some very fake graphic violence, but it won't make you jump. I'd say 7 and up is fine.

Parent of a 10 year old Written bydogbreathincanada August 11, 2010

Can't wait until my kids are old enough to watch The Holy Grail

You either love or hate Monty Python ... I love
Adult Written byDanaRae March 10, 2010

Parent of a 13 year old Written byAiomon May 31, 2009

Light Hearted Joking

There is reference to oral sex, blood gusing that is light reed and obviosly fake. Young children will not get the humor and it is appropriate for ages 11 and over.

Adult Written byChuck Reid March 26, 2012

Great movie!

This movie ROCKED! The plot and voice acting was epic! I love it!
Adult Written byHeroneSilverton April 9, 2008

THe funniest movie ever made

In my opinion, this is the most hilarious movie ever made. You will want to watch it again and again, and you should, because there a lot of things you don’t' catch at first. I remember the opening credits weren't really that funny the first two times, but the third time I was cracking up. It may be a bit too much for younger audiences. It is a very random movie, so if you like random things; you're in for a treat. Some people love this movie, and others think it's very dumb. Everyone should give it a chance, because in my opinion, it is absolutely hilarious =)
Parent of a 14 and 14 year old Written byxmasterxofxmyxd... November 22, 2008

My Favorite Movie of All Time

This movie has got to be my all time favorite movie, it is hilarious, absurd, and it is just downright a classic, its got the best ending in history besides city lights and the sting. not everyone will like the humor, but just thinking about the movie is making me want to watch it and crack up laughing, so that's what i'm gonna go do right now.
Adult Written byCdiff September 10, 2009

Perfect for age 11-Adult

No concerns. Role models? In a comedy? I watched this movie when I was eleven and I loved it! Some of the humor may be a bit much but little kids will laugh at the killer rabbit and won't get the teen virgins part. For kids that get it it is HILARIOUS. I understand the person who did not like it. Some people like different comedy styles. Parodies are not for them. Awesome movie! ;)
Adult Written byS P. March 17, 2017

Great movie for teens

Based on language and innuendo older audiences are better.

Adult Written byMonera June 17, 2016
The skits are clever and intelligent, and has a lot of historical background thrown in! Kids may not get the more historically based references, but very humorous albeit more so if you're educated on those topics. Best if you have a bit of background information on the Middle Ages, as it plays off a lot of Medieval history. Overall, the gags are clever and witty. Monty Python is known as one of the masters of comedy! It's intelligent and funny! Hard to find in comedies today that just swear and play off sex.