Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for Mortal Engines

Inept, derivative, violent sci-fi fantasy based on YA novel.

Adult Written byET3D December 9, 2018

An enjoyable movie with some violence

I'm in some mixed emotions about this. I went to this movie with my 8 and 10 year olds, and we all enjoyed it, but I felt uncomfortable with my kids seeing the level of violence in some of the action scenes, which is why I set the age to 13 and up. There aren't a lot of these scenes, and not much gore, but there are stabbings, a beheading, some blood, and some disturbing visuals. Which shows the danger of blindly going to see a movie (Common Sense Media had no reviews of it). Note that the movie doesn't directly show things like the beheading, but the head is shown rolling and the body without it, and so on. On the flip side, all the major characters (except the villain, of course) are good, sympathetic people, and the vast majority of supporting characters are too. To me the movie did speak well of trust, caring, doing what's right, redemption, and so on. I felt that in general, apart from the violence, it was a really positive movie. So I feel that I can wholeheartedly recommend the movie to older children. From 13+, I'm not sure if I'd mark 'too much violence', but I still marked that because I didn't feel comfortable with it for my kids. But as I said, they enjoyed the movie, so it may be that it was okay for them or passed over their heads.

Adult Written byBessica1 December 15, 2018

Great if you've read the book

I watched this with my almost 11 year old son. We have both read the book, and we both loved it! It's a complicated story, so if you haven't read the book you will find it harder to follow. I cried at one part (my son didn't). Negative reviews I've read seem to be from people who have not read the book so weren't fans of the genre to start with. If you loved the book - you will love the film, even though it doesn't follow the book plot faithfully.
Adult Written byGlenn190 December 16, 2018

Mortal

I was in china, and I had a chance to see mortal engines, it fasinating it plot is hard to understand at first as more is reveiled the movie takes you to places that no other movie can even come close to, it outshines batman, all the Spiderman movies it makes starwars look like a piece of junk. It a must see, Oscars writen all over it.
Parent of a 9 year old Written byPhoenix T. December 18, 2018

Incompetent chaos and poorly executed.

Started off ok but devolved into a Star Wars, Iron Giant & SnowPiercer, Matrix wanna be memes, Mad Max sequence of Ripoff plays. Rest in peace. Enough said. Don't waste your time or money.

Parent of a 11 year old Written byAlexa W. December 24, 2018

Great movie

I really enjoyed this movie! There is the perfect combination of violence, sadness, and rejoice. The stalker is a bit creepy, but there are no innapropriate scenes. This movies also gives many good lessens and has great improvement from the book.

Parent of a 11 year old Written byPesoDeso December 15, 2018

i?

I am just writing this because CSM gave this movie star yet all the reviews are 4 or 5 stars..
Adult Written byothersoccerdad December 27, 2018

A faithful adaptation of the book

The title says it all. The variance in quality of official Common Sense Media reviews is evident with the bizarrely negative official review attached to this film.
Parent Written byhulkfan2 February 9, 2019

Cool fantasy film, but some graphic scenes

I recommend this for 15 and up because it has some bloody scenes of people being killed. I can't remember that much about these scenes, but I do remember a guy being shot in the chest with blood for a split second, and there was a few more bloody scenes. There's no big issue with language so I would say 15 and up because it's bloody sometimes.

Adult Written byJnjmarantz December 24, 2018

My 12 year old really enjoyed the movie!

We are a family that loves sci-fi movies and this one does not disappoint. I like the fact that it has some innovative concepts as we are a bit tired of Spider-Man or other superhero movies. The plot is complex but engaging. It is a plus that the movie does not stereotype Asian actors.

Parent of a 8 year old Written byBigchris29 December 21, 2018

I don't know about most of the movie cause we left

Okay so we went to see two movies last week it was this and Spiderman"read my review to know how I felt about it" this was a movie if I hadn't been forced by my older children I wouldn't have seen and we left after 20 minutes and went to see Spiderman this was going nowhere and really showed no sign of improvement it might get better I dont know but I do know we had enough of it and I can't recommend it

Parent Written byCriticus February 23, 2019

Can you hear those engines sputtering? (spoilery)

So… I didn't think much of this one. Before I laid eyes on the first oddly executed trailer, I was all over the concept of a Mortal Engines movie, especially with a name like Peter Jackson's attached. However, Mortal Engines sadly only confirmed and further embodied the displeasing jarring effect I experienced from the very first moment that dissonant, awkward preview stumbled online. The story is jumbled and rushed, the characters cliché and insipid; even the visuals suffer from a coarse, unfinished aesthetic. The colours come out muddy and murky; the VFX somehow manage to bore. A bird's-eye view of London on wheels should be one of the most unbelievably rousing sights ever seen in cinematic history; it comes across unsatisfyingly stale. Derivative is a word which suits Mortal Engines very well, complete with the Star Wars-based inspirations of a fall into a great, mechanical vacuum after a dramatic confrontation, a finale involving a fleet of airborne bombers attacking a moving enemy base, and a declaration of kinship from the chief antagonist. I'll leave you to pick out any other influencing movies! The story isn't without merit, and in capable hands and given more time, I think it could have made a terrific franchise, had it only gotten off the ground first-off… There was a great relationship between Shrike and Hester which imaginably was once moving and unique, but now rendered here in only a shadow of what it could have been. One minute Shrike is murdering her friends; the next she is mourning for his death. Truely, this movie makes a great finish of any hopes for the franchise, killing off the villains prematurely and leaving no threads for a continued narrative in the case of future instalments. Once again we behold potential crushed and talent wasted. Mortal Engines occupies a kind of no man's land in audience targeting, containing more needless and sudden violence than many parents may be willing to expose their children to, yet by reason of its showy and somewhat childish nature also isolating some possible adult candidates. There is some kissing, which with the violent and often frightening content constitutes the main worry parents will face showing this film to younger audiences. Altogether, it's not recommended, though some will find something in it that others don't (my family thought considerably higher of it than did I).
Adult Written byMaysa_Sh January 27, 2019

A MESSAGE AND A ROLE MODEL

The opening scene was enough for me to understand what message the movie is trying a communicate, a message that i would really like my kids to get. Man, with the way he is going, will destroy the planet, and, inflicted with such an arrogance, shall never repent. With the quantum weapons (nuclear), he had ended life as we know it on this planet. Now that technology has gone back to its more primitive forms (mechanic and electric), people can enjoy a semblance of peace. Well, not necessarily true. It seems life will always be about the survival of the fittest. The big and the powerful will always devour the small and powerless. However, the movie highlights the fact that being right and just is power and it injects u with strength to fight back. The young adults in the movie can be great role models for they show altruism at every corner they take. There is never a me before me moment in the movie. Tom chooses to stay with Hester even when it is easier for him to escape. She doesn't cut the rope to rid the plane from shrek but throws the knife to Tom who is dangling by the same rope. Anna Fang accepts her role as a sacrificial lamb for the good of humanity behind the wall. Those are people we can't help but admire.

Parent of a 8, 14, and 15 year old Written byJughead29 December 21, 2018

My teen wanted to see this and even she left

Okay well we had a double trip to the movies last weekend and this was one my teen daughter was excited for and I thought looked good however after 30 minutes even she was down to go watch Spiderman with me and her younger siblings this went nowhere and showed no sign of improvement at l I mean I get good things come to those who wait and all but this just sucked