Kid reviews for Mortal Engines

Inept, derivative, violent sci-fi fantasy based on YA novel.

Kid, 12 years old December 30, 2018

AMAZING!

Ok, first off I want to say that this was a phenomenal movie. 5 stars bravo! I myself have read the book, and this was one of the first movies that followed the story line perfectly. As for Violence, Its really not that bad compared to some movies and games that some kids watch/play these days. That is why I, as a 12 year old, think this film should be for ages 10 and up. Oh and PS, I really don't think there is too much of anything, (that being swearing, violence, soppy scenes, etc etc).
Teen, 14 years old Written byValiantLegend December 16, 2018

Unfair review by CSM

I really think that the reviewer was far too harsh on this film. It was extremely watchable, and not at all 'inept.' It was a little bit too long, and some fight scenes felt dragged out, but otherwise it was very good! Questionable content includes: Violence: (Some brutal fist fights between characters) Consumerism: (They eat century old Twinkies stating that they: 'last forever') Intense themes: (The whole idea is rather frightening for younger kids- being hunted by giant moving cities and characters being taken into slavery) Otherwise it's fine, and a pretty good film for tweens and up. It may not be peter Jackson's best piece of work, but it's definitely a great addition to the steampunk genre

Teen, 14 years old Written bySnuffle_shuffle33 December 16, 2018

Does not follow the book

This was so disappointing. I read and really liked the book, and did not have high expectations for the movie after reading reviews. But wow, this movie was a piece of junk. The plot does not even scrape the surface of the book, and adds meaningless parts to what little they have. If you read the book, I would not watch the movie, unless you have VERY low expectations. As far as the below items, there was next to no sex, drugs, swearing, and consummerism. there was some violence, including showing blood on a knife and a presumed beheading, but nothing too crazy for a PG-13 rating. There were good messages and role models in the movie, but the anti-capitalist message of the book is gone. The ending also was very unsatisfying compared to the good ending of the book.

Teen, 14 years old Written bybookworm3284 December 17, 2018

What the even heck, CSM? One star? It's better than Star Wars

This movie was fantastic and was not "inept" or clumsy in any way shape or form. CSM, you gave the Meg 2 stars when that movie was really horrible and clunky. This movie was incredible. The visuals were amazing and gorgeous and the action sequences were phenomenal. The world building is epic and there is so much more that could be discovered if A sequel happens (which I hope it does). Everything about this movie was amazing, there were scenes that made me cry, scenes that made me snicker, scenes that put me on the edge of my seat and even one part that I almost covered my eyes out (Its a huge jump-scare). Yes, this is violent, but it is Star Wars violent, the most violent parts are when a (minor) character gets his head shot off, a young girl is slashed across the face, and the stabbings, and some blood. Bullets and lasers fly in this movie and some are pretty startling. There is barley any language at all, which is astounding that this is based off of a YA book. This is a long movie, but it is entertaining and epic, there are moments that drag but only about 2 of them. The opening scene hooks you right into this movie as it puts you on the edge of your seat. The character Shrike is terrifying at most moments, and his collection of dolls is pretty creepy, you will hate him and be scared of him for mos of the movie, but then he gets redeemed in a beautiful part. I can't wait to buy this on Blu-Ray!! The critics missed another great movie, just don't think too deep of this movie, just sit back relax and go along for the thrill ride! My MPAA rating: PG-13 (for futuristic violence, peril and action, some bloody images, scary images, and disturbing content)
Teen, 13 years old Written byJ0elsmAllbone February 10, 2019

A Great Film!!!

I've read the book and I loved it. I wasn't sure about the movie but when I saw it in cinemas I had this feeling of awe and excitement. It was a wonderful feeling. The violence is pretty low and not too graphic. The lead, Hester Shaw, gets slashed up the face with a knife and is left with a nasty scar. 'Bastard' is used once in the movie, otherwise the language is safe. There is no sex in this movie, so you don't need to worry about that.

Teen, 17 years old Written bydudemanrad January 13, 2019

Looks great, but Terrifying...

Mortal Engines is clearly based on a book and I've never read the book, so I had no idea what was going on. The acting was okay. Hugo Weaving is a typical bad guy and every other character is pretty typical too. The visuals are incredible! Great action and CGI! The worst part of this movie is that the character, Shrike, is terrifying and even made me want to run out of the theater (Which I considered) ... note: I'm 17. The creepy cyborg isn't super scary in himself, it's the fact that (SPOILER) he chases the main character, Hester, because he wants to turn her into a creepy cyborg too. There's also a psycho scene of Hester and him in his house-on-wheels that felt like it came from an R rated horror film... No kid should see this movie in my opinion! Even teens should think twice about watching this. Not recommended...

Teen, 13 years old Written bySweetandSourMov... December 27, 2018

Mortal Engines

So What’s the Story? Based off of the book by Philip Reeve comes Mortal Engines. The story of the aftermath of the sixty minute war that brought mankind to the brink of extinction. However humans found a way to adapt to the new environment, by building cities on the sea, in the sky, but the most dangerous ones, were on wheels. The predator cities such as London hunted other small villages for survival. Hester Shaw the witness of her mother’s death swears to avenge her by killing Thaddeus Valentine. She soon meets up with Tom Natsworthy an outcast from London, and Anna Fang, an outlaw. Soon they uncover the plot that London has in store, and the rebellion is formed to stop it once, and for all. Mortal Engines overall satisfied me with many reasons, although it was clearly flawed. Now here are my reasons. First, directing by Christian Rivers was solid, and he surely produced some great shots that were beautiful, and great looking. However his directing had flaws such as the fact that he liked to zoom up on people’s facial reactions too much. My papa actually gave me this reason, and I didn’t agree with it at first, but then I looked deeper. Next I thought that the special effects were outrageously good, and produced an incredible experience for the audience that was colorful, and surprisingly not a mess. The musical score was also surprisingly good, and filled me with adrenaline in the big battle scene. However during this epic scene I felt some clear Star Wars Deja Vu with a few scenes. I mean the rebellion destroying the massive weapon with futuristic ships, I mean come on! The part when Hester, and Thaddeus are fighting, and something happens that is incredibly similar to one specific Star Wars film. Finally, the suspense level in the movie was very limited, meaning that there were no real surprises during the movie. Overall I thought that Mortal Engines had solid directing, great special effects, a good musical score, but some, want to be a Star Wars film stuff here, and there, and a low suspense level. How Was the Cast? The cast in Mortal Engines had some good performances, and ones that were, well you get the picture. First we have Hera Hilmar as Hester Shaw. She is not a well known actor, but she did pretty well in the film. She managed to provide emotion without going completely over the top, and seemed to fit the character quite well. Next we have Hugo Weaving as Thaddeus Valentine. He has worked with Peter Jackson before in the Lord of the Rings movies, but to my surprise, he actually was not that good. He seemed stiff, and confused with what was going on. Plus, the character did not seem to suit him at all, and made a serious man like him, look goofy. Third we have Jihae as Anna Fang. She is a new actress, but seemed to provide the most commitment, and laughter into her performance, resulting as the best one of the movie. Fourth, and finally we have Robert Sheehan as Tom Natsworthy. One of the weaker performances of the movie Tom clearly missed the mark for the character. The moment he entered the movie in his opening scene I immediately made up my mind about him. He was just an over the top actor during the whole film! Aging ‘The Engine’ Mortal Engines is packed with action, and an enormous amount of special effects. There are explosions, gun fights, deaths, and a dark premise to the movie. In addition, there is a zombie that may frighten certain children. Overall I recommend this film to older tweens, and up.

Teen, 14 years old Written bykeatonmarcus December 17, 2018

Mortal Engines: Visually dazzling and unrealistic, a fun film with many flaws

Mortal Engines is visually dazzling, creative and fun, however, it also suffers from an overlong story, poor directing and scripting, this may or may not deride fans of the book.