Parent reviews for Mortal Kombat

Mortal Kombat Poster Image

Not Bad

I know nothing of Mortal Kombat and I enjoyed it. My 12 year old plays the game and it was all of the same characters. There was quite a bit of blood and guts and violence and the unnecessary f words through out...but if your child can handle the gore and the few curse words it is a good story line.

Solid but Straightforward Entertainment for Older Kids and Up

Mortal Kombat is a more straight-faced version of the original movie from the early-90's, all the way down to an almost identical story (which, having played a few of the games isn't necessarily the 'canonical' story, at least as far as I'm aware), the big difference being that it's vastly more straight-faced. Normally, I would consider this to be bad thing, as the over-the-top violent nature that allowed the original to fly on absurdity alone, is all but gone entirely, swapped for something that expects you take it seriously. Now, having said that, the movie actually works on its own terms, and when approached from a Family Movie standpoint, it's actually not bad, but the message is incomplete. This movie appears to be Part 1 of a 2+ Part movie franchise, and while I appreciate the themes here (such as Family is Important and Arrogance Leads to Oblivion), the movie does these messages in a half-hearted way. Don't get me wrong - What we get is good, but since there's clearly meant to be at least a Second part to this series, everything feels under-developed, and until we get the next part of the franchise, I'd recommend this to Adults only (I rank it as 15+ as that's what I will recommend once the movie series is complete). It's certainly entertaining, and the messages are there, if plain, but it's certainly worth a watch.

Gory, violent, and for fans of the games

Mortal Kombat is an movie that basically resets the Mortal Kombat film series, where it originally was classified as PG-13. This new R rated film perfectly encapsulates what made the video games great in the first place, showcasing what the characters can do in such an freeing, yet restrictive space. Most of the violence is from the brutal, but sometimes unrealistic fatalities, which are extremely graphic, with bloody gore shown, which could prove too much to handle for kids. There’s also a ton of swearing and a bit of sexual references in the film, with most of the swearing belonging to the film’s standout character Kano. All in all, the film deserves it’s R rating, but it should be noted that the film is not that suitable for children to begin with (considering the violence almost made the film an NC-17)

Just okay but as a set up for more it works.

Nothing happens that stays on screen too long. Yeah its violent. But if the kids played any mk game they've seen far worse violence.

You want the best review here it is

the really best and non-lying review

This is a mind reader

It is the truth

The best and most accurate review

It has just the right amount of violence

Violent but okay

This movie is essential Tom and Jerry with superpowers and blood. While it can be a bit gory it is all very tong and cheek. Nothing serious or dramatic like in movies like zero dark thirty. Fun action movie for pre teens

Read this review if you know what’s best.

I’m not going to spoil, but this movie is a gore fest. Some dismemberment in combat, and overall pretty gory fight scenes. The most brutal parts were in 2 scenes. One scene included Kano’s fatality and this included a monster getting his heart ripped out of his chest. It shows the heart still beating for about 5-7 seconds. But perhaps the most brutal part is where Kung Lao throws his bladed hat in front of a person as they fly head first into the hat. This splits the person in half as you see the brain cleaved in two as the blade continues to cut all the way down cutting her in 2. Although very gory, this scene only lasts about 6-10 seconds in total from the cutting, to him saying flawless victory. This movie is an awesome movie with good messages about teamwork and fighting evil. This movie is definitely worth a watch for mature fans and adults. I recommend for 15+ but no younger than 13+ if very mature.