Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for Mr. Church

Clichéd drama has sad moments, drinking, stereotypes.

Adult Written byJAS A. October 28, 2016

Mr. Church Review

What a wonderful and inspiring story. The movie brings the audience into power of reading, truly accepting good people beyond race, and pain of death. Great movie that may land an Oscar for Eddie Murphy.

Adult Written byN G. December 23, 2016

A heart warming movie of love and family

I came across this movie by accident, where I saw that it had received some great reviews from others on Amazon (it is available free through Amazon Prime). I decided to watch it just out of curiosity (I'm not really the right demographic for this movie since I am a middle-aged male with a family), but after the first few minutes, I found that it was actually very interesting. The story spans several decades, and describes a complex relationship between a family and their cook. I thought the acting was excellent--I never knew that Eddie Murphy had this kind of dramatic range to his skills. The other actors were also very good and really added depth to their roles. While at times the movie was predictable, it also contained unexpected elements that are consistent with human nature. I also appreciated the fact that this was a really "tame" movie with no nudity, few curse words, and while there was smoking and some alcohol use, it is really nothing compared to most of what we see on TV these days. I also loved the fact that this movie showed how family really can be what we want it to be, despite our weaknesses. I understand that it was horribly reviewed by the critics, and frankly, this makes me a bit sad. It is a pity that we live in such cynical times. I understand that this movie can be viewed through a racial lens, and I respect the opinion of the other reviewer who notes the "Magical Negro" trope. However, I don't really think that was the intent of the author. I feel that this was a movie about love, and we should approach it with an open heart. It calls to the angels of our better nature.

Adult Written byManuelNard August 10, 2018

Mr. Church

It was a good family drama watched with boxxy software. Highly recommend!