Kid reviews for Mr. Church

Clichéd drama has sad moments, drinking, stereotypes.

Teen, 17 years old Written byJflores14 September 25, 2016

Sweet story about freindship and parenthood

Mr. Church was everything I expected it to be: touching, sweet, funny, and heart-warming. And it delivered. This is a great movie for families or date nights. Not incredibly memorable, but still fun. Content: Violence - two characters die of sickness, a woman falls and almost miscarries, some talk of abuse, and a man is a violent drunk Sex- two characters are born out of wedlock, a sign in the background talks of live nude women Language - about ten uses of shit, ass, and goddamn MY RATING: PG-13/ for mature thematic material and some language

Teen, 15 years old Written byHamzaAzywazy November 1, 2016

Best Drama I've Seen This Year

I'm going to start this review off by saying that I do not usually these emotional dramas for a reason which I will make clear soon. I won't include the plot as it will kind of spoil the film. Mr. Church is a very emotionally draining drama. I'd like to consider myself as a stable kid with no stresses but this movie made me burst out into tears about 4 times throughout the movie. Eddie Murphy is not an actor that I could imagine playing a serious role like this. He keeps his cool and portrays Mr Church as the kind of person you would want as perhaps as a shoulder to cry on. The film hit all the right spots that should be hit to be an exceptional drama. I can see Eddie Murphy nominated for an Oscar in this mind blowing drama. Britt Robertson played exceedingly well as well a s the other supporting actors. I rate this film a.solid 5/5. This is the only drama that's made me cry apart from titanic, spirited away and the walking dead. I hope Eddie Murphy carries on this dramatic path and I'm sure.more success awaits him.

Teen, 15 years old Written bybiovox14 April 8, 2017

No stereotypes, fantastic movie

This was a GREAT movie, and even though it can be a little slow, its very good. It was refreshing to see Eddie Murphy playing a serious role, and he did a fantastic job of it too. There are some themes that make it PG-13, like pregnancy out of wedlock, alchoholism, cancer, and death, as well as a small bit of language. All in all though, this was great, and definitely advisable to watch
Teen, 15 years old Written byRancorDrama December 1, 2016

Great Movie

This is a great movie, it's basically all i expected inside of this great film, warning though there is drinking, a little bit of blood for just a few seconds, there is one bath scene but the bubbles cover everything, there is smoking. but the movie its self is amazing i hope you'll enjoy it as much as i did.
Teen, 13 years old Written bynerdybirdy March 17, 2019

Amazing... but VERY mature

This movie was incredible. I was close to tears on several occasions (and I never cry watching movies). I can't say much for positive role models, but the changes in the characters are significant. This movie deals with race, death, pain, and unconditional love. For a more mature audience, this is a stunning movie. Language: bouts of drunk cursing, a few swear words throughout. Sex: it's not shown, but two main characters engage in drunk sex (off camera) and end up pregnant. Drugs and alcohol: a lot of alcohol. Smoking is also prevalent, in adults and teens. Violence: not much, but it is there a little. Overall, it's a wonderful, heart-wrenching movie, but definitely not for teens.

Teen, 13 years old Written byThat one person... February 10, 2019

Stop Please Read...

Ok, at first, I had no interest in watching this movie, but when I did, I realized that it was very good. The plot was very engaging, but it may not be very interesting to younger children. There are a few iffy parts that parents may want to watch out for. First, there are a couple of deaths in this movie, and a few scary/perilous parts, such as Charlie, the main female character, being hit by a skateboarder, note that she was pregnant and could have lost her child. Secondly, there is some mild language used in the movie, such as s**t, and godd**n. If you are thinking of showing this movie to younger children, you may want to take notice of that. Another thing is that there is frequent drinking and smoking throughout the movie, Mr. Church is frequently getting drunk, and part of a supporting characters backstory is that he was drunk behind the wheel and drove into a house, killing a young boy, this movie also has a small romantic aspect, Charlie knows this boy, Owen, she goes to prom with him, they kiss dance together, etc. She sees him again later in life and they go out once again. Her friend also talks with her about, " Hooking up" . So this movie can be a bit iffy at times but overall is really good. It has good messages about caring for others, and family. Iwould very much recommend, for ages at least 11 and up.