Kid reviews for Mr. Smith Goes to Washington

Classic pits Jimmy Stewart against government corruption.

Teen, 13 years old Written byAnnieC January 23, 2013

A great Frank Capra film

Mr. Smith Goes To Washington is about a senator, Mr. Smith, who is tormented by a newspaper tycoon. He fights for what is right and ends up winning. This movie was all about America, freedom, and liberty. At first it was kind of confusing, but it all came together in the end. I thought the cinematography was awesome and it was really well made.

Teen, 14 years old Written byyankswonalot January 16, 2011
When my eighth grade civics class viewed this, every one sighed because of the fact it was in black and white. I, however, love classic movies and found this one very well written and acted. I was first turned on by the fact that the main character was the guy from It's a Wonderful Life, who I came to later know as James Stewart. The filibuster scenes were my favorite part. The end was kind of abrupt, but a good movie nevertheless. No need to worry about language, violence, sex, etc. A little playful drinking, but pretty much everyone has seen worse. A great movie that may bore the kids, but others will thoroughly enjoy it.

Teen, 13 years old Written byB-Capps22 March 11, 2013

Very good movie!

This movie was very good but also had some smoking and drinking. The on,y drinking part is when a bunch of senators are in a restraint type place and the smoking is one guy who smokes in most scenes that he is in. I would recommend this movie lout it may be hard for some. Kids who are younger to understand. Mr. Smith was also a very good role model when going against the corrupt members of the senate. I would rate this 4/5 stars.

Teen, 15 years old Written byMovieLover24 March 4, 2013

If you love old movies don't miss this one!

I just finished this movie 10 minutes ago and had to write a review! I think this movie is absolutely phenomenal. It has very powerful messages and the script was just so well written and interesting. It may be boring for younger children but if they can understand what is going on it is fantastic! I normally don't really enjoy the old "political" movies but this is definitely an exception. Language, violence, and sexual content is not an issue at all. I highly recommend it!

Teen, 13 years old Written bydeJong January 30, 2013

Educational

This was a good movie with a positive message about America. It might be hard for littler kids to understand what's going on. Good movie!

Teen, 16 years old Written bymovie madness March 10, 2011

perfect for kids and adults 10 and up :)

The actors were exelent,and even though the movie is rather old it is something to wach with the hole family!!! the moive also acurataly discribes political prosseses verry well such as mr. smith's secritary telling how a bill becomes a law, which makes the movie have verry educatinal content! also mr smith shows strong chariter by standing up for what is right no matter what the coasts or how hard it is, which is a great lesson for people of all ages!! the only thing is kids under 8 would probably have a harder time fallowing what is going on, but there realy isnt anything inapropriate about the movie at all!!

Teen, 13 years old Written bymkohler March 11, 2013

Black and white

This was a great movie. It shows how media controls political people and has a lot of power. Mr. Smith is elected into government because he was thought to be stupid and do whatever they say. He doesn't ever give up and fights for what he wants and what is right. He ends up inspiring people to go after what is right and revealing the corrupt media.

Teen, 13 years old Written byIsaac6 March 11, 2013

Mr. Smith goes to Washington

This movie is very good. It has a very positive message and shows that we should stand up for what we believe in. It shows a lot of educational value. It tells a lot about government education. I would only recommend this movie to ages that would understand that government education.

Kid, 12 years old January 23, 2013

Mr. Smith goes to Washington

In this movie there is a man named Jefferson Smith he has a boys camp and the congressmen of washington want him to senate their state. They want him so badly ecause he is a big airhead and they are doing something very secret that is not good, they think he won't notice. Mr. Smith is a big patriot and loves Abraham Lincoln the secretary is in on the big secret and makes Mr. Smith look bad. When the repoters rot him out he is about to run away but Sanders the secretary feels bad and helps him get back up on his feet again. At the big meeting he finally proves himself, right and has a boys camp for boys all over the country.

Teen, 15 years old Written bysnoXracer14 January 23, 2013

A good movie

I had to watch this movie for a media class. At first I thought it was going to kinda suck because its in black and white. But then I got really in to it. I really think that this film is one that everybody should watch for its idles.

Teen, 13 years old Written byDream_On_Dreamer January 23, 2013

4 stars :)

THere are a few violent scenes in this movies but they are not very severe. This movie has a few good role models and gives a positive message in some of the scenes. There is a few smoking and drinking scenes in this movie also,but that is not the message the director is trying to give out. This movie is somewhat educational and inspirational. :) :) :)

Teen, 13 years old Written bySaxon34 January 23, 2013

Pretty good movie

It was an ok movie, but it is more for older kids because it is about politics and such. Kids may get bored but it is a pretty good movie over all. Sometimes it slows down, but it is better in the end. The movie is not a "must see" but it is worth seeing.

Kid, 10 years old March 10, 2009

Ugh

So boring but i saw it when i was 8 but so boring
Teen, 15 years old Written bywho3697cares January 28, 2009
I recommend it to teachers or parent who want to teach children more about politics and the US government.
Teen, 15 years old Written byKass April 9, 2008

Utterly timeless

James Stewart is incomparable in the quintessential "Gee, shucks" role, as a sweet but oblivious man unknowingly placed in the Senate simply to let other politicians continue doing their dirty work without distraction. However, when Stewart inevitably realizes this, he has to make a dangerous choice: does he turn a blind eye to the corruption of Washington or does he maintain his ideals to the end?