Parent reviews for Mulholland Drive

Fascinating movie for adults only.

Adult Written bychristian2011 March 12, 2016

Expertly crafted, highly elaborate psychological thriller.

Mulholland Drive is an amazing, spellbinding film, because it is one of those rare films that doesn't contain a blatant plot; there's multiple unexpected plot twists and shifts where you are held strictly responsible for paying very close attention and attempt devise an idea of what's actually happening throughout the film. We are also given impeccable, emotionally charged performances by highly esteemed actors and actresses, especially Naomi Watts. Due to the high level of complexity of the storyline, graphic sexual encounters between women, and mature subject matter such as a woman's spiral into mental anguish, Mullholland Drive is not intended for kids, even teenagers, to watch; however, if they are mature and restrictive enough to have the intuitive skill to be able to astutely understand the nature and theme of the plot and ignore the sexuality, language, and disturbing imagery, then it should be fine. That's just my theory.

Adult Written bybigisaac20 July 20, 2020

Adult Written byJim24 January 23, 2019
His best. It’s not that terrible content wise, so long as your kid understands sex. It’s mostly just a slow-burning thinkers movie, so it’s not for the impatient. It has some romance scenes between two women, nudity shown. However these scenes are vital to the plot and extremely romantic, not a bad thing at all. There’s a bit of violence but it’s pretty brief. Overall, it’s a must-watch for anyone who loves film. I highly recommend it.
Adult Written byMike H. May 10, 2018

Amazing

Amazing Amazing Amazing Amazing Amazing Amazing Amazing Amazing Amazing Amazing Amazing Amazing Amazing Amazing Amazing Amazing Amazing Amazing Amazing Amazing Amazing Amazing Amazing Amazing Amazing Amazing Amazing Amazing Amazing Amazing Amazing Amazing Amazing Amazing Amazing Amazing Amazing Amazing Amazing Amazing Amazing Amazing Amazing Amazing Amazing Amazing Amazing Amazing Amazing Amazing Amazing Amazing
Adult Written bythenoah May 30, 2013

One of, If Not The Greatest Film Ever Made

When it comes to the best directors of all time, in my opinion it comes down to either Sergio Leone or David Lynch, and it is probably David Lynch. And when it comes down to David Lynch's ultimate masterpiece, his magnum opus, it is his incomprehensible thriller, Mulholland Dr. You may hate the whole thing at first, unless you absolutely understand Lynch, but if you finally fit the pieces together, you realize Lynch has created a masterpiece and definitely one of the ten greatest films ever made. Watts gives an excellent performance, as does the rest of the cast. It does have a couple of lesbian sex scenes in it, and there is one masturbation scene, so it would go up to about 15+. Other than the sexual content, there is some language and very, very mild violence with no blood. Watch this film, but don't be discouraged if you don't like it. Give this film, or Lynch's career in general, another chance and you will find that it is a truly flawless masterpiece.

Adult Written byMusicRock668 February 20, 2012

Terrible Confursed Movie

first off all what was with the ending ? this movie had some very disturbing violence Images and storyline have no ideal what it was because this movie was just super confused and don't waste your time watching this Movie
Adult Written bymath professor June 18, 2011

One of the best artistic adult movies for those that understand metaphor.

This is a cerebral and artistic movie that many people have struggled through, especially those that have trouble with metaphors and expect a direct story arc. You can talk at length about the film without giving away any spoilers: the greater themes involve our lack of objectivity in relationships and the paradox within the vocation of acting. Some of the metaphors are so direct, they are elusive. There is a literal "little man behind a curtain", a literal "key" that is found by the main character when one of the movies punchlines is revealed, and a literal "pandoras box" that is opened by the key. The dream is the reality in this movie, so be prepared to see it with an open mind that is ready to be engaged.
I would not recommend this movie for children. Most take caution with the intense romantic scene with two women, and the depraved scene of masturbation. I would caution parents more against the complexity of the movie - many adults have difficulty "getting it". Only the most mature and contemplative children would stand a chance of understanding what is happening.

Parent of a 5-year-old Written byslantmaster March 20, 2011

Adult Written byMovieMan26 October 10, 2010

What am I watching?!

Okay, first of all, what's with the ending? I don't want to give anything away, but those who have seen it hopefully will know what I am talking about. I don't know whether it is supposed to be artsy or metaphorical or just a drug-induced trip, but I seriously misunderstood the ending. That's the main reason why I didn't like this movie, and in my opinion, it's a good one. The other thing that makes me mad is that the movie was actually pretty decent up until the last half hour. Don't you hate it when a good movie is ruined by a lousy ending? I know I do, and this isn't the first time! Parents: This is a seriously sadistic movie. There's aberrant violent images abound. It's a tense film with plenty of images you just don't want inside you or your kids' heads. Bottom Line: I recommend this only if you like very trippy, psychadelic mind trips, because that's what you'll get. Thanks for reading! - Movie Man

Adult Written byJohn from Westmont February 10, 2010

Not for kids and a dud for adults

About the first third is ok. Interesting characters are introduced and suspense builds as you see snipits of their stories. Then you wait to see how all this weaves together. And you wait, and wait, and wait. Meanwhile the story just gets more weird and incomprehinsible and doesn't know how to finish what could have been a good start. I felt cheated.

Adult Written byShadowX April 8, 2009

Mesmerizing!

This is one of the best movies I have ever seen. Even if you cannot completely understand it its dreamlike imagery is mesmerizing. Naomi Watts also gives the performance of a lifetime as Betty...

Parent of a 1, 8, 9, and 14-year-old Written bythejokerspencil January 10, 2009

WOW!

You will never seen another movie like this again. A must see but the most strong movie ever.The only film I will say for ADULTS ONLY.