Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for Mune: Guardian of the Moon

Original animated fantasy has a few frightening elements.

Adult Written byElizabeth M. January 29, 2018

Not a kids movie

If you’re looking for a good movie for a Christ following family with small children, don’t waste your time. The first half minute of dialogue has a character exclaiming “damn right”. The introduction has a narrator claiming that there are “guardians” of the sun and moon that brought the sun to the earth and brought the moon from the land of dreams. While imaginative stories can be great, Jeff you are looking to reinforce a biblical perspective of history in your home this is clearly going to do some damage to what you are teaching your children about God’s role in creation. I recommend not even turning it on.

Adult Written byShy I. April 17, 2018

Splendid Movie

Now, after reading several reviews it has come to my attention that edgy parents are stuck up over the word "damn" in the narrative in the beginning. The whole movie is very family friendly from that point on, and since the film was made in French, the word "damn" was dubbed over, but it was not treated the same there as it is here. This movie has a great plot, beautiful art style, and touching moments that are entertaining for kids and teens/growing adults. Sure a 4 year old may not necessarily take out as much of it as someone just a bit older would, but small kids would most likely still be fascinated by the animation style and beautiful artwork. So, please don't take what all the parents before me said and literally "not touch this movie" because of a petty reason that it will "corrupt your faith" or "is too inappropriate for your child". I am a Christian myself, have watched this movie several times and quite frankly never even heard the word "damn" (though I am not denying it wasn't said. Just extremely not obvious because it definitely does not stand out), and if that curse word presented from dub is making you ponder giving this movie a chance just skip past five minutes and start watching after the beginning narration. The beginning isn't crucial to the movie anyways, and this movie is worth watching!

Parent Written byBrittney M. February 7, 2018

I loved it

Now this is a good movie, but I was surprised that there was a curse word when a character said, “Damn right!”. That is the only curse word in the movie though, so it’s not as bad as people think.

Adult Written byDanielle J. February 27, 2018

A nice departure from Disney and Pixar

I found this movie on Netflix after searching for movies not produced by Disney or Pixar. Both are banned in our home for various reasons. It's a beautiful tale about the balance of Day and Night, set in an otherworldly place that is filled with whimiscal and beautiful strange creatures. The Moon and Sun are tethered to gigantic walking living temples, which are ridden and guarded by individual living creatures. This movie has many great meanings, one of which is that the hero isn't always the one with muscles. Only negatives are the group of very sexually suggestive creatures praising one of the characters in the beginning of the movie. Also, the protagonist uttering "Damn right" At one point. The father of one of the protagonist's is cruel to his Son. Calling him names like useless and roughly tossing him into a hole. Overall, this is an well done movie.

Parent of a 5 and 15 year old Written byGail W. April 29, 2018

Dream fable/myth

As both a teacher and a parent, this was a lovely movie that has elements of many cultures and allows a lovely story that does apply to all. By removing humans from the story, and allowing a natural progression of the characters, the story develops organically and is a great starting point to discuss many other myths nd fables. Cursing—really, there isn’t any. One damn seems to have damned this movie for some. A bad choice I guess for the dub, but really isn’t going to steal the innocence from your child. Trust me, there is worse at your church. Non Christian—well, it is a myth. So are most stories passed down in cultures. This sweet story isn’t going to damn your child to hell (see what I did there....) Overall, a story with flawed heroes who remain morally positive and allow the imagination to expand.

Adult Written byY S March 10, 2018

Great Family Movie!

So our boys are almost 3 and 10 years old. Both loved this movie. It was creative and original and for once we, as the adults in the room, didn't have to feign our interest. This is an easygoing movie that somehow moves both quietly and slowly while also moving through a fairly action packed story. The darker elements seem to go over younger heads, while still being visually engaged enough for him to get the general ideas and follow along with the basic story. The movie was also just very pretty and fun to watch. Good for almost any family.
Parent of a 1 and 6 year old Written byTia G. February 4, 2018

Cussing in the first 5 minutes of the movie

I wouldn’t know if the movie is any good or not , the first cuss word I heard was in the first 5 minutes of the movie. It’s ridiculous I can’t even let my babies watch a cartoon movie bc it has cuss words in it.

Parent of a 1, 3, and 10 year old Written byRachel R. February 28, 2018

Curious and well thought out

So many cute kids movies these days are littered with holes in the plot that detract from the story, but this film avoids that. it's quirky Curiosities make it adorable Artful and highly entertaining. Ok for kids all ages, but my 4yo was sometimes distracted by the abstract nature of the characters/animation, he asked a lot of questions and maybe didn't follow as well.

Adult Written bySatya Varun October 16, 2018

The Best Inspiring Movie both for adults and for kids

I created this account after reading the pathetic reviews of parents especially christian parents downgrading a quality movie. I could not handle how these idiots are lowering the rating of a perfect inspirational movie i ever saw. The night I saw this movie, i was so sad and was alone. I was 24 that time i was bored lonely. This movie explains such a wonderful thing. It does not matter how your life started as long as you keep smiling , work hard and try to make others happy , you will ultimately win. You can have an awful beginning , but the ending is in your hands either it can beautiful or worst than the beginning its entirely upon you. To every christian parent saying this movie defies god and all. One thing, did you saw your jesus? did you saw adam n eve. but you believed them right? Similarly let your children learn about everything and let their faith show the way not simply rubbing off your beliefs and worries on them.

Adult Written byaspirit May 6, 2018

Beautiful and Imaginative

This isn't a kid's movie but works well as a family movie. Concerns might be one minor swear word* in the beginning, sexist and racist comments that's no worse than a typical animated movie**, scary characterizations and moments that would be familiar to different kids at different ages***, and some parental conflict.

Adult Written byKitkat53 September 9, 2018

Absolutely stunning!

I made an account here just so I could try to raise the average rating a bit. This movie is absolutely fantastic and I would recommend it to anyone who likes fantastical films with beautifully designed characters and settings. The art is gorgeous and so dream-like. I wish I could live in that world. It’s now one of my all-time favorite films. I would recommend this to both adults and children. You could watch it as a family or alone, but it is definitely a must-see. And to all the parents who gave it one star and turned off the movie or got all upset over a character saying “damn” at the very beginning: it’s said once. Only once and you’re giving a poor rating to an amazing, extremely well written and beautifully animated story no chances or a poor rating over it? If you’re that concerned, just skip over the very beginning. It’s honestly ridiculous and unfair to act so impulsively. If a friend of yours said damn (a very commonly used word) in front of your child only once, would you never let them speak in front of your child? I don’t think so. This film deserves so much praise and you’re not even giving it a chance.

Adult Written byMamarazziCrystal August 2, 2018

Different!!!! Was our family movie night

There's a magical sci-fi and fantasy feel to the movie without it being over the top. My only concern I have to share with other mom's who may be a little strict is that a character called a bad guy "dumb". I said to my youngest, that isn't nice to name call and that was that.
Parent Written bybluegirl6891 June 10, 2018

"Damn" in the first 5 minutes? Not a kids movie.

Wish I would have googled this before we sat down to watch it as a family. My 3 yr old and 7 yr old should not have heard the character say "You're damn right," in the first few minutes. Turned it off and will never watch anything by this company again. Pathetic.

Adult Written byThreaper February 8, 2019

Very good movie

Me and my daughter both enjoy this film. Got a chuckle from a very quick "damn right" that took me a few times of watching to even notice it, so if your a bit over protective there is that. I recommend this movie based on creative artwork, good story, and funny moments. My 3 year olds favorite move currently.
Adult Written byIsabwise August 29, 2018
Parent Written byChris S. August 24, 2018

Overall a decent movie

It’s a feel good movie with a story line that moves and I loved the artwork. I wanted to comment and rate this one because I was hesitant to watch it based on its reviews here. We watched this with my seven year old. There is a swear word in the beginning, but she missed it. The only other issue I had with it was that the female character and one male character were a little flirty, which wasn't necessary. I also was confused about the female character’s portrayal. She was very smart and heroic, but giggled and touched her hair a lot. But overall we enjoyed the movie.