Parent reviews for My Big Fat Greek Wedding

Cute romcom has some innuendo, a little language.

Adult Written byCommonSenseChristian January 1, 2013

A Wedding You'll RSVP to Over and Over Again

"My Big Fat Greek Wedding" is a lighthearted romantic comedy with plenty of Greek spice. Toula provides a good example of how to buck family traditions the right way: she follows her heart, but tries not to hurt her family, apologizes when she does, and still loves and values them and their culture. The romance between her and Ian is also refreshing to watch, and Ian is a good example of how guys should treat the girls they love. Toula's huge family provides plenty of good laughs and hijinks, with quotable lines that will worm their way into your family (you'll never look at Windex the same way again). Premarital sex between Toula and Ian is heavily implied, which warrants discussion for families that don't condone this. Toula's cousin Nikki shows cleavage at every opportunity and prominently "adjusts" her breasts. A flurry of profanities mar the first scenes, and Jesus' name is abused a couple of times. Grandma indulges in a beer, and Ian's parents get drunk at a Portakolas party featuring ouzo. For these reasons, don't invite your kids to the wedding. Teens, though, should be fine.

Positive messages
Drinking, drugs & smoking
Parent of an infant year old Written byafranks76 August 19, 2009
Adult Written byPaulette April 9, 2008

Enjoyable and wholesome

This was fun to watch with our 11 year old. The cross - cultural encounters were funny, touching and educational.
Parent of a 12 year old Written bytealsweety July 16, 2009

Parent of a 13 year old Written byTsion June 18, 2009

Funny, But Too Short to Become Invested...

MY BIG FAT GREEK WEDDING is funny, but is too short for us to become emotionally invested in it. We never really care about the characters or situations, and that makes this an inferior romantic comedy compared to SLEEPLESS IN SEATTLE and YOU'VE GOT MAIL. However, it is cute and funny, and a good choice to kids. There is one mild, brief sexual situation in addition to some light innuendos. Ian and Toula drive home every night (he usually drops her off at her house), but one night they go to his apartment, and he invites her in. She considers a moment, then accepts, and we see them kiss passionately (standing up), then she pushes him down on a couch (out of view) and pounces on him. After that scene, we see them in bed together twice (clothed, except that he's shirtless), but no action goes on. The innuendos include stuff like "Greek women are tigers in the bedroom". A man who can't understand Greek tries to say something nice twice, but both times ends up saying something else: "I have three testicles" and "nice boobs". There are a few "a*s"s and "d**n"s.

Adult Written byDanMooreDesigns May 28, 2014

Surprising Language

Contrary to the site's review, this movie is peppered with mild profanity.
Adult Written bycprhd2 February 29, 2016

Fantastc Movie About Love and Family

This movie is really fun and great for tweens. It is appropriate, but the main characters sleeping together was implies and one character wears revealing clothes. Otherwise, it is a sweet story perfect for tweens.
Adult Written byTimTheTVGuy November 20, 2012

Yep,it's perfect.

Wonderful movie.It's romantic,and just flat out fun to watch.I remember eating a bowl of mac and cheese at aunt's house while watching this movie.Also,a few minutes ago,I find out that JEDI micah (who I agree with A LOT) found out that most of the time,we have the same opinions on a lot of stuff.He asked me why I have similar opinions to his,(he found out about my T.U.F.F. Puppy review,clicked on my profile,and found out our similar opinions),so one day,before I joined CSM,I was looking for at the adult review section of a horrible TV show Level Up,saw his review,and I agreed with him 100%.So I looked at his reviews,and while I disagreed on a few of them,I agreed with plenty of them.So I decided to join CSM,and review some of the shows he reviewed.Everytime I look on his profile,I look at the review,and see if I agree or not.Most of the time,I agree.Some other times,I disagree.But hey,it's pretty cool on how I agree with heaps of his reviews.
Adult Written byKatster July 10, 2009

Positive messages
Adult Written byjumpinbini April 9, 2008
This is definitely a movie the whole family can watch together. There is a strong focus around the struggle between parents and children when dealing with generation gaps of traditions and beliefs. It also taps into the customs and traditions of the Greeks. I highly enjoyed this movie and recommend it to most.