Parent reviews for My Cousin Vinny

Courtroom comedy will appeal to teens. Some strong language.

Adult Written byrobratings8901 August 19, 2014

Very funny.

This is a really great movie, with some pretty funny scenes. There is frequent use of language throughout, though. About the violence I will say this: 1st, the story centers around a murder, and there is a shot of a dead body with some drops of blood. Cops are seen holding guns.
Next, 1 couple shares some kisses, and there are some suggestive movements. There is one scene where a character thinks he is going to become someone's sex slave. But really, if there weren't any language, it would be a PG.

Adult Written byInuzukaKana October 8, 2019

Goes Per Person.

This movie is R for language, and language only. There is absolutely nothing in this move deserving of the R rating other than the f bombs, and even then, your kids are hearing and dropping more f bombs at school than you'll hear in this movie. I don't think this movie is a must see, but it's not bad and I would probably watch it again if I had the time. It's family friendly if your kids are okay with cussing (and I think they should be at least okay with hearing it). You can't expect your kids to get mad at people who cuss for their entire life, right? They'll go through some crap in school if you let them think that. I think this is a good introduction movie to harder language in that sense, but it's up to parent discretion when to introduce that. I'd say introduce it before they hit middle school though.

Parent of a 18+-year-old Written byRehan Padia April 14, 2019

Awesome

It is a great movie and lots of comedy. There is sometimes cursing but the overall story is excellent.

Parent of a 12-year-old Written bySpeirto January 27, 2019

If you want to teach your kids the f word, watch this

I absolutely love this movie. It's funny, smart, entertaining and a young aunt May is in it. If you get the censured version let the 9-12 year old kids watch. However in the unedited version the F word is interchangeable with many other common words in this movie in a very New York moment kind of way. Save it for the teens. A tiny bit of sexuality, mostly a smoldering Marissa in lingerie at bedtime.

Parent Written byKrista B. January 18, 2018

Great movie! Great laughs!

Love this movie. Watch this with my teens a few times each year. Lots of laughs. Some crude stuff.
Adult Written byzeekattacklee November 9, 2015

My cousin Vinny Review

I really thought this film was pretty interesting. Although it does have a lot of foul language it is a perfect film for mature teenagers to watch.. Other than that, I probably would want to keep younger kids away from this due to a lot of F words.. Otherwise, This is a film worth checking out for older audiences..

Parent of a 8 and 12-year-old Written byAtHomeDad September 10, 2014

LOTS of swearing

We liked My Cousin Vinny and both our boys (11 & 8) are familiar with the F-bomb. It is not something they hear often, but they are aware it is a swear.

The swearing in this is completely over the top. We almost turned the movie off. If cursing is an issue for you, don't bother

Adult Written bymoviewannabe March 7, 2014

Hilarious; a few boring scenes

It would be funny to count how many uses of f*** are used in this. It is unstoppable. The lengthy courtroom scene involving the innocence of the two convicts was really boring. I nearly fell asleep watching the whole scene. Aside from that, it was funny.

Parent Written bycrankylibrarian January 3, 2014

Mean Streets goes to Mayberry

Culture clash has never been funnier than in this raucous tale of 2 bling wearing, gum chewing, leather sporting New Yorkers trying to rescue an unjustly accused young relative in rural Alabama. The language is pretty raw, as befits the characters, and there's a murder at the beginning, and a little sex talk, but nothing graphic. Great story about seeing beyond appearances and stereotypes.

Adult Written byWaltCD August 5, 2013

Fantastic Movie with a bit of cuss words

This is a fantastic movie that can be watched over and over. I'm sad to see the rating here only 3 stars. Remembering this movie, I thought it was rated PG, but I see that due to the language, an R is necessary. Still, this is a movie that can be enjoyed by most all children 13 and over.

Parent of a 11-year-old Written byLauraJF February 5, 2011

OK for tweens, if they can handle the language

Although the language is crude, it's nothing my daughter hasn't heard elsewhere and she's old enough to know it's not acceptable to use even if she hears it. It's a very funny movie, one of my favorite comedies!

Adult Written byMovieMan26 October 9, 2010

Hilarious, foul-mouthed courtroom comedy

This is one funny movie! I love this movie. The only reason I can think of to why I won't give this movie five out of five stars is because of the far-fetched evidence. But, I suppose that just makes it more fun. This is a great movie for anyone to see! Parents: There is non-stop foul language, some violent images and content, and sexuality, but no nudity. Bottom Line: Must-see comedy classic for everyone (of age) to enjoy! Thanks for reading! - Movie Man

Parent of a 11-year-old Written byJean12 December 13, 2009
This is one of our families favorite comedies! Marissa Tomei is perfect in this role. So much fun to watch her on the stand in court. My daughter is only 11 and has watched this with us. If it weren't for all the cursing, I would say it's appropriate for 11+. We had to have a discussion RE: not repeating these words etc... The message of honesty is good.