All parent member reviews for My Dog Skip

Parent of a 8 and 8 year old Written bykordekshop August 2, 2009

Not for sensitive children

My girls were too sensitive with regards to what happens to Skip. The could not stop crying at the end and are now wary of these type movies. I guess kind of like Old Yeller was for me when I was their age.
Parent of a 7 year old Written byOregon mom June 6, 2009

Good movie, but the dog dies

I really liked this movie and it kept my 7 year old engaged. However, he cried when the dog got lost and then again at the end when he died of old age (why is it that movie dogs always die?). I wouldn't show it to him again until he is a bit older.
Adult Written byJon Lovitz May 24, 2009

I didn't like it; animal cruelty

It made me mad when the boy hit his dog! I think he's a jerk! The only thing I liked about this movie was that it was the same dog from Frasier.
Parent Written byjfeliner April 7, 2013

Off-camera or not, still Animal Cruelty..

It's the only reason this was a movie I watched ONCE and never again. I'm one of those people that prefers animals over humans.
Adult Written byBeckstar October 29, 2011

maybe a tad too emotional

This film is great, but when I saw it when I was a kid I was balistic with tears at the end. Mum couldn't get me to stop crying, I went to bed unable to stop crying. I was about 12 at the time or possibly younger. It's up to you if you think your kids can take this sort of thing
Parent of a 7 year old Written byr082280 May 20, 2011
Adult Written byjoshua martinez April 23, 2010

8 and up.

my dog skip is a great family movie and sad at the same time but parents this movie has a few violence some mild language used and some drinking and smoking used to help handle the pain and they smoke cigar however it does deliver a great message about friendship and love and the role model is that skip which is the dog is a perfect example of unconditional love and loyalty and willie is a kind hearted and grateful for his companionship.
Parent of a 9 year old Written byrobinpeggy April 9, 2008

for once I agree with your age guidance

I usually find the Common Sense rating a big conservative -- my six year old was usually fine with movies rated 8+. But in this case, I think 8 is the right cut-off. The scary scenes are truly scary, and much of the social message was over my almost-7-year-old's head. I enjoyed it, though. Terrific cast.
Parent of a 16 year old Written bybretskill May 17, 2010
good movie. also check out Uncle Nino. great movie!
Adult Written byTheShaman April 9, 2008

My dog (sniff) Skip

My Dog Skip, was a very enduring movie, Boy and his Dog, I laughed, I cried, anyone who has had a dog can relate to this story. This movie teaches some good values along with how to take care of a pet, what happens to pets when they die, the bonds of friendship. all in all a real tear jerker, reminds me of Old Yeller, not for the faint of heart. this movie is rated PG for a reason, there is some violence and death. something that may be hard for younger viewers to understand.
Adult Written bynbeffa April 9, 2008

One of my Favorite movies!

Not a lot to say here other than MY DOG SKIP is one of my all time favorite movies!!! The soundtrack is the best I have ever heard, and the story is classic. I bought this for MY personal CD collection! My children (6 & 9) loved it and it always seems to find its way into our family Friday night pizza night. Whenever the kids are sick and are allowed extra TV time, this is the FIRST movie they request! Just one of those feel good movies that knows no age boundaries. I KNOW you will love this movie!