Parent reviews for My Dog Skip

My Dog Skip Poster Image

Animal Cruelty...Enough Said!

This is a terrible movie. I watched it when I was young because my family was looking for a family-friendly movie, and I thought it was okay at the time, but now there are many things I despise about it. I can stand the gory violence in action, horror, and crime movies, but the more realistic violence, like abuse and cruelty, especially to animals, is a hard pill for me to swallow. The boy is incredibly stupid and I have a very low amount of respect for him for what he did to Skip in the climax. This is an incredibly stupid and impulsive move that will make you hate the kid instantly after that. The kid ends up feeling bad about what he did later, but the way he did what he did to Skip will stay in viewers’ minds long after the movie is finished. This movie is appropriate for kids, but if your kids have trouble watching upsetting cruelty to animals, especially dogs, do not show them this film. I would not advise you to watch this film anyway, because it is just a waste of time. One star is more than a generous rating for this film. Do not waste your time on this boring, despicable film.

1 person found this helpful.

A predictable with that does not advance the genre

A film that is predictable in ways that do not feel like they advance the genre. A romanticization of 1940s Mississippi that does not broaden our understanding of the time, but reinforces stereotypes. The bright light in the film (besides the terrier) is Luke Wilson's character after he comes back from the war and the mark that it leaves on his spirit is palpable. Unfortunately, it is glossed over too quickly.

Like it

I think it is a good video

Jaw-Droppingly Sad for a PG Movie

This is a very sad movie. Young kids will cry to heck. The dog lives and then afterward just dies. It's an OK movie. My kid saw this in class. If you're for a teary movie, check it out! If not, there's other options...

Off-camera or not, still Animal Cruelty..

It's the only reason this was a movie I watched ONCE and never again. I'm one of those people that prefers animals over humans.

maybe a tad too emotional

This film is great, but when I saw it when I was a kid I was balistic with tears at the end. Mum couldn't get me to stop crying, I went to bed unable to stop crying. I was about 12 at the time or possibly younger. It's up to you if you think your kids can take this sort of thing
good movie. also check out Uncle Nino. great movie!