Kid reviews for My Life as a Zucchini

Animated drama about orphan is touching, unforgettable.

Kid, 10 years old April 17, 2017

It's an awesome movie that should be rated PG!

I saw it at a film festival thirteen days before its actual release date and I loved it!! When I first saw the rating it said the movie was rated pg-13. I was afraid I wasn't old enough to see it. Now that I saw it I think these raters are totally wrong! I know its a serious drama film with serious meaning, but there's actual evidence that proves it shouldn't be rated pg-13. I mean like having a disco dance party, showing your butt in a photo shot, and a guy dressed up as a caveman at a Halloween party are some things I can't imagine a teenager would want to watch. Plus the kid interactions sound like something from a Peanuts comic strip. For your info, my life as a zucchini is a fun serious silly drama film for tweens.
Kid, 12 years old March 12, 2017

Woah!

This movie is utterly fantastic! I put for ages 6 and up because some of the content might be above their heads but I trust you with this one. It does have a little inkling of sexy stuff, mostly in the boys dormitory where they speak in a silly way a bout sex but it isn't graphic or anything like that. All in all why are you still reading this go watch this movie!
Kid, 11 years old March 13, 2017

Oscar worthy

Whoa this was so good the animation was super well done it was seamless no swear words that I remember great charcters they really built up zucchini and it has a great message and it keeps us all aware about what other kids are going threw on the other hand this is a story about a kid growing up if sex is a trigger word or anything related to that then don't see it but it's all used for laughs so I think it's fine

Teen, 16 years old Written bykappy6554 January 30, 2018

Heartwarming Film Deals with Some Mature Themes

My Life as a Zucchini follows a boy nick named Zucchini and his life after he is taken from his home to live at foster home. There are some mature themes, since each kid had been taken to the foster home for a reason. For example Zucchini's mom was an alcoholic, one boy's parents were drug addicts, and one girl's father shot her mother and then shot himself. There are a few sexual things, but nothing too bad. There is one scene in which boys comically and non descriptively talk about sex. Zucchini draws a cartoony picture of a fully naked man and woman. A woman walks up some stairs and her painties can be seen for a second, some boys joke and are disgusted by seeing it. There is also a small amount of language. However through all of their struggles, the kids ultimately are kids and are kind to each other. An excellent movie for tweens and families. You'll remember and discuss this movie for a long time.

Teen, 14 years old Written bythatkid June 25, 2017

great!!!!!!!!!!!!

it is very good movie this should be rated pg but its pg 13 sure it had one sence that might be little too much fora kid but otherwise great

Kid, 9 years old June 25, 2017

awesome

this movie is awesome but zucchini draws a picture of two people naked. But this is one of the best movies ever. When I rented it I watched it 2 times the same day i rented it and got it on dvd
Teen, 17 years old Written byUsrthea February 13, 2018

Realistic and relatable!

Teen, 13 years old Written byYS99 January 7, 2019

Teen, 13 years old Written bynataliadello September 6, 2018

It's not that bad parents!

It has a great message and many characters in it are role models. Yes, there are scenes that make you raise your eyebrow, but me and my mom laughed. It says 13+ the things in it are things ur 13 year old already knows. I promise THEY KNOW it's not new. These are the scenes that people don't like -the alcoholic mom (they make sure it is seen as a bad thing) -the sex talk (they're joking and come on it's funny) -lastly, yes this may be TOO MUCH but me and my mom thought it was hilarious when he sent a drawing to the cop of the 2 people working at the orphanage naked.

Teen, 13 years old Written bykeevan October 12, 2018

Worth watching if your child can handle it

When I watched My Life as a Zucchini, I wasn't exactly prepared for what would be said and done in the movie, but I still went along for the ride. What most should know is that you don't have to (but still should try to) explain the concept of death to your child, as it's only mentioned 2 or 3 times in the entire movie. There are a few scenes that mention sex, but found them to be extremely funny, and I'm sure your child could handle it if they understand. You don't have to have this "talk" with them, I am sure they have heard about intercourse. The morals of this story are so beautiful, and I felt the bond with the characters instantly. I'm sure it could really help your child feel the emotional rollercoaster that is the life of an orphan. It does mention deportation, shoplifting, abuse of some sort (I thought sexual abuse at first?) and what happens with Zucchini and his mom being a alcoholic. Overall, it's a great movie and I lost all sense of time as I watched it. It really immersed me and I'm absolutely sure all ages could enjoy it... over 12 of course.

Teen, 14 years old Written byStarshineJulie792 August 12, 2018

Perfect for your tween/teen to watch

Wouldn't put the movie for younger kids unless they are mature enough to understand the concept of the movie. But I'd definitely let a teen or tween watch! As long as your child is mature and educated when it comes to talks like sex, drugs, violence, etc, this movie is suitable for your child. After all, this is the age for your child to start knowing things like that, and learning what's going on around them. This movie puts normal kids with normal lives in the shoes of kids who are in need. Wether if its being neglected, abused, raped, or anything else. It shows them how the negligence and unfitness of a parent can have an impact on a child's life, emotions, and future. Very educational movie, very graphic (in a good way in my opinion, but of course if you're a parent that doesn't find it appropriate, your choice) and again this movie is aimed to children who are mentally mature, so if you have a young child that isn't mature, jokes about everything, or misunderstand high meanings in movies, don't let them watch. Other than that, well done!