All parent member reviews for My Little Pony: Equestria Girls

Parent Written bylollymeg August 12, 2013

Teaches awful ways of speaking and glamorizes inappropriate clothing

Returned it without even finishing it - awful for little kids! Expected a fun, cute movie -- got ponies that turned into sexed up teenagers, yelling at each other, being mean, and competing in a popularity contest - how is this for kids? At one point, a character yells at another "you're pathetic! no wonder you don't have any friends!" I turned it off and brought it back - definitely not something I want my little girl watching.
Adult Written bydogman15 August 8, 2013

It's... okay.

All in all, this is a fun, safe, and entertaining film to show to kids of any age. Sure, the film has its faults, and some of us wish it never had to be made (its canonicity is dubious at best), but the songs (courtesy of Daniel Ingram) are catchy and this film could be worse. I give it a C+ or B-.
Adult Written byDisneyMaster October 28, 2013

I hated hated hated hated hated hated this movie.

The plot is weak, the characters are completely OOC, the rules to explain the new universe don't make any sense whatsoever, the villain is clichéd, the songs sound like they should belong in High School Musical 4, the humor is infantile at best, the morals are twisted, and while the animation matches the show standards, it is not good enough for theaters. This only serves to make sexism ok for both children's toys and entertainment and will make both kids and adults dumber by watching it. Any parent who lets their kid(s) watch this should have their heads examined, and I don't know how much money Hasbro shelled out on this, but it's a tremendous waste of what could have been the picture to save traditional animation! It is also clear that Ms. Meghan McCarthy is an incompetent writer for both television and feature animation who wouldn't know good characterization if it bit her in the plot. If she wants to do something useful that isn't following orders from corporate executives, she should quit while she's ahead before the history books drag her down even further. So in conclusion, I will most likely never see this film other than read the plot synopsis on Wikipedia and I'll be sure never to let my 2 toddler nieces watch this film or by any of the ridiculously priced merchandise that this film's (if I can call it that) original intention was and I hope other sane people do the same. I'm Eric Helgeson, and I'm ashamed to call myself a brony.
Parent Written byButtercupSaiyan September 19, 2013

Exactly what it set out to be: a semicanon spin-off

It's perfect for its target audience but older males and women may find this title a bit bland or mediocre. The characters are a bit inconsistent and there are some gaping plotholes. The animation is very smooth and this is a good rehash of the original FiM series perfect for little girls.
Adult Written bymimijunebug December 17, 2013

Pony Power! or Teenager Power!

Great movie! But if you're under 7 watching with an adult is recommended, because of the second to last seen. I saw the world premiere and got the dvd and watched it on youtube all before it aired on tv!
Parent of a 3 and 5 year old Written bymelissa820 January 1, 2014

Great story, disappointing designs.

My only problem with this movie is that the girls are drawn as super tall and skinny stick figures. The MLP characters are so cute as ponies, and it would have been nice to see them translated into 'cute' teens instead of 'super model perfect' teens. Same goes for the dolls - would have been great to see them looking more like an regular teen girl instead of 8 feet tall 100 pounds with tons of makeup on. Aside from the look of the girls, I love the story and the character traits. It's so nice to show all different kinds of girls being 'cool' role models whether it be a shy girl, an outgoing girl, a girly girl or an athletic girl.