All parent member reviews for My Little Pony: Equestria Girls

Parent Written bylollymeg August 12, 2013

Teaches awful ways of speaking and glamorizes inappropriate clothing

Returned it without even finishing it - awful for little kids! Expected a fun, cute movie -- got ponies that turned into sexed up teenagers, yelling at each other, being mean, and competing in a popularity contest - how is this for kids? At one point, a character yells at another "you're pathetic! no wonder you don't have any friends!" I turned it off and brought it back - definitely not something I want my little girl watching.
Parent of a 3 and 5 year old Written bymelissa820 January 1, 2014

Great story, disappointing designs.

My only problem with this movie is that the girls are drawn as super tall and skinny stick figures. The MLP characters are so cute as ponies, and it would have been nice to see them translated into 'cute' teens instead of 'super model perfect' teens. Same goes for the dolls - would have been great to see them looking more like an regular teen girl instead of 8 feet tall 100 pounds with tons of makeup on. Aside from the look of the girls, I love the story and the character traits. It's so nice to show all different kinds of girls being 'cool' role models whether it be a shy girl, an outgoing girl, a girly girl or an athletic girl.
Parent of an infant and 4 year old Written byProfessorCatcliff May 3, 2015

It's cute but a little contrived

My daughter loves the MLP show and toys, and we stumbled upon this. It's fine. It's something I would have liked as a kid. I think it's a little silly how it glamorizes high school, but the message that teamwork and being nice win is good. The crushes are a little cutesy. It's not scary or anything, and my daughter is terrified of The Little Mermaid.
Educator and Parent of a 10 and 12 year old Written byTheEducatorOf10 March 2, 2015

It would be better if it were educational

This bullshit movie
Adult Written bymimijunebug December 17, 2013

Pony Power! or Teenager Power!

Great movie! But if you're under 7 watching with an adult is recommended, because of the second to last seen. I saw the world premiere and got the dvd and watched it on youtube all before it aired on tv!
Parent Written byButtercupSaiyan September 19, 2013

Exactly what it set out to be: a semicanon spin-off

It's perfect for its target audience but older males and women may find this title a bit bland or mediocre. The characters are a bit inconsistent and there are some gaping plotholes. The animation is very smooth and this is a good rehash of the original FiM series perfect for little girls.
Adult Written bydogman15 August 8, 2013

It's... okay.

All in all, this is a fun, safe, and entertaining film to show to kids of any age. Sure, the film has its faults, and some of us wish it never had to be made (its canonicity is dubious at best), but the songs (courtesy of Daniel Ingram) are catchy and this film could be worse. I give it a C+ or B-.