Parent reviews for My Little Pony: The Movie (2017)

Positive messages, some scary stuff in sweet, sparkly romp.

Parent Written byRobyn D. October 7, 2017

The scary and sad overwhelms the charming and cute

A few cute, lighthearted moments and songs, and yes, it does aim to teach a lesson about friendship and it does end happily BUT, getting to the happy end was exhausting for this momma and 6-year-old. My daughter had been looking forward to the movie for weeks, but she hid her eyes and fought back tears for most of the movie. Too many scary and sad scenes: characters crying about being lonely or deserted by their friends, characters acting like they're trustworthy to trick others, one bad thing happening after another. The suspense lingers too long for this age group. If a pony falls into a crevice and appears lost forever, they wait too long to reveal she's okay and instead linger on the tears and sad music. I realize there is adversity in most episodes of the show and even some bad guys, but this was just draining. I would not recommend this for any child who gets scared or is sensitive to others hurting.
Adult Written byjessicac4 October 15, 2017

Thanks for giving my kid nightmares!

Could the writers of this movie ever have MET a 5-year old girl? Scene after scene was so scary and intense. I was in a theater full of screaming, terrified children. About half had to leave! We should have left, but my near-six year old had been counting down the days until the opening for months, so she would not give in! We love the TV show, but this was horrible! Evil, evil characters enter in the first five minutes and the plot never gets a breather of humor or kindness for about the next hour. The major theme was “grow up, don’t be cute” exactly the opposite of was we came to see. What a disappointment. I feel like the writers should get up at 3am to console my child...

Adult Written byJack S. October 4, 2017

Must Watch especially with the Family!

If you're looking for a Movie that you can Enjoy with your Family then this Movie may be the one for you! Very colorful cast of characters (literally) and a world and story that is very fun to explore through out! And go out there and Enjoy it with your loved ones and friends and have a Great Time!

Adult Written byDisplay N. October 1, 2017

Too scary for some little ones

We scored free advanced screening tickets to this movie and attended with another mom and her little one. My child (who is almost 4yo) was terrified of the bad guy scenes (they were much for a kids' movie), so we had to leave about an hour in (despite that my child is a Rainbow Dash super fan). My friend's child (who is almost 6yo) enjoyed it and stayed through the movie.

Educator Written byGoruchDiogenes October 7, 2017

Read the prequel comic first.

The Mane 6 are as lovable as ever, but the new characters are rather 1-note and 2-dimentional, almost as if they were introduced to sell new toys. Everything interesting about them is in the comic. The Big Bad has no explained backstory or real motivation and his character is basically trying to be Discord 2.0. Tempest, on the other hoof is truly an intriguing villainess, though it annoyingly comes at the expense of throwing Celestia and Luna and Cadance under the Worf Effect, yet again. The animation is fluid and beautiful, though different enough from the TV show to be a bit jarring. The songs range from decent to great. Fans of the show will have unanswered questions, like where the Royal Guard was when the capitol city came under attack and where Starlight Glimmer and Shining Armor were the whole time.

Adult Written byemmom1 October 6, 2017

Too scary for little ones

Although my four-year-old was so excited to see this, she asked to leave a few times in the movie. She would quickly change her mind and want to stay; however, I have a strong sense we will deal with some fears and nightmares from this movie. Not sure why they felt the need to make this movie slightly scary. I would think the target range would have included 4 year-olds....
Parent Written byJon M. October 10, 2017

Scary, dark, and heavy

Apart from the first 10 minutes or so and the last 2, this movie doesn't feel much like a My Little Pony movie at all - more like Star Wars or Transformers - it's scary and dark, with themes that are a bit heavy (IMO) for little kids, like betrayal. That's not to say it was terrible, it just doesn't seem to fit with other movies rated here for 5+ and 2 dots for scariness (like some of the Tinker Bell movies, for example, which are much lighter in mood.)

Parent of a 7 year old Written byKrm216 October 9, 2017

Too scary for my 7 year old

My daughter was really excited to see the movie but she asked to leave about 30 minutes in. I think the issue was the peril started very soon in the movie and the suspense continued. She couldn't relax and enjoy the movie. She remarked that the books were much more fun.
Parent Written byElisabeth F. October 9, 2017

Lots of scary and some mediocre songs too

Overall I was disappointed. Read the reviews of the friendship focus but it was not well developed. The majority of the movie my 4 yr old was in my lap crying to go home. Lots of scary dark scenes with overwhelming villains. The happy ending helps to rectify the scary scenes. But do not think this is a little kids movie. Targeted towards 6-8/9 yr olds instead.

Parent of a 12 year old Written byMi-Lee B. October 8, 2017

A+

Parent Written byTammy N. October 9, 2017

An awesome journey for most

My kids loved this movie and want to go back right away. One doesn't dance much but she was dancing in the theater. She has already memorized the songs. Overall a fun movie for those who have seen My Little Pony. There are a few scary scenes. We prepared our 4-year-old by having her read the prequel comics with us and see who everyone was ahead of time. She got scared once or twice but loved it. It isn't for every 4-year-old though. If your kid scares easily, maybe wait for a DVD you can pause.

Adult Written byRarityfan October 6, 2017

The movie is finally here, now with season 8 connection

After waiting in ages the movie is finally here. A Friendship Festival with crowd of ponies, a new villain, songs with one by ex childhood star Lukas Graham from our country , seapony fun and on. Of spoilers I can tell that the villain the Storm King dies, and we see how Tempest lost her horn in a flashback. There is a running gag of RD and her old love for cider. Spike has his old crush on Rarity. MLP has been around since the early 1980's so there are long rows and long rows of MLP merchandise, DVD's, LP's, VHS tapes and much more. If you're on the booru remember to filter MLP movie NSFW stuff, and spoilers out for those who don't want to be spoiled. Stay at the end credits. The movie later on was connected with the season 8 episode Surf and or Turf.

Adult Written bylotidiego October 7, 2017

Good fun

Hi, went with my 5 year old daughter today and normally I am the kind of guy that takes a nap during movies for kids. Not in this one! The film is well produced and the story makes sense thus making it a good experience. Yes it has a couple of scary moments but nothing a hug from Dad couldn't solve.

Adult Written bylafifille November 19, 2017

Decent movie for kids

It's a bit different to the TV show, but still far lighter than many other kids shows out there. Definitely appropriate for very young children provided they aren't ridiculously sensitive or shielded from the world. All the toddlers and kids in the theatre were laughing their heads off and cheering the main characters on (rather than screaming like some other reviewer seemed to suggest was the norm). A bit of a cliched plot, but hey, that's kids movies for you.

Parent Written byE N. October 6, 2017

Worst movie

This is totally...the WORST...movie I have seen in my LIFE! If you are looking for a GREAT movie (not the pony movie) WATCH KAWAII UNICORN! (Really it's good) So go..watch...The only KAWAII UNICORN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Parent of a 7 and 9 year old Written byRachel H. December 26, 2017

Ugh. Seriously?

Ok. So I took my two kids, not over-the-top sensitive, seven and almost 9. They are huge my little pony fans. We watch the show together all the time and they could not have been more excited. We all could not have been more disappointed. Even both of the kids said that it was a really disappointing movie and my daughter who is nine said that it probably should have been for 10 and up. They have watched action filled movies and are not sensitive to peril, danger, and having to wait for a resolution. The problem is that there is no resolution. They even completely abandon the characters that are well-established in the process. Twilight sparkle lies to everyone and steals? Really? Yes. Well that definitely seems true to character for the princess of friendship... yep. That bad. What a betrayal of the characters that they'd established. A total waste of time and money. While we were there, we had to take a walk in the middle of the movie. Probably haven't done that since they were five. And a little girl behind us turned to her mother and said this movie is really bad. Can we please go home? I don't like it. Parents and kids all look like they had been hit by a truck when the whole thing was over. They didn't even use the well established villains that kids have gotten used to. Nope, they brought in a whole new scary evil pony with no redeeming qualities that comes in what could only be compared to the Death Star. And turns everyone to stone. That was right up front. My daughter right away wanted to know why they didn't just freeze everyone so that you knew they might be OK in the end. It was way too scary and ridiculous because there was no reason for it. Totally not justified by the film at all. I don't know why we didn't just leave. Any one of the TV episodes is 100 times better than the movie was. So sad. They have such an easy product to market, an eager audience, and all they had to do was make a double length episode. Instead they came up with this junk.

Adult Written bylisa s. October 15, 2017

BORING!

I went there with my 4 year old and 13 year old for thanksgiving since everything was closed.The 4 year old loved it but the 13 year old well she was sleeping I was just eating food and waiting for this movie to end I don't know how some reviews say this is scary but its just boring for kids 8 and up but below that age will love it.

Parent of a 5 year old Written byGlen G. October 23, 2017

Fun and frolicking adventure with a little scary stuff

Children who are familiar with the My Little Pony series, and who have followed them previously will enjoy this fun movie with positive messages; and have no problem with the mild action or some mildly scary characters. My child loved the music and positive scenes and messages; and also a scene where FlutterShy talks it out with one of the bad guys.

Aunt Written byPastelHooves October 17, 2017

Definitely didn't disappoint me!

I'm an adult fan. Pegasister for life! I went to see the movie when it first came out and I expected mild action of course but it was more violent than I expected but that doesn't make it bad. They definitely stepped it up with this movie. To go from a Y rating to PG like that is cool. Very good movie and great story

Parent Written byrhonda m. March 12, 2018

Over the top, loud and overstimulating

This movie is loud and overstimulating...the voices, the music, the action. The voice actors are so over the top with their emotion that it's hard to listen to for so long. The characters are constantly arguing with each other and their facial expressions are so angry. Yes they eventually iron out their differences, but the way they fight with each other about everything is just a bad example for young kids. This is nothing like the nature of the original My Little Ponies. Some things are better left unchanged.