All parent member reviews for My Sister's Keeper

Adult Written byexpert on movies November 29, 2009

GREAT FOR 11 and up!!!!

my 11 year old watched this at her friends house and when she came home she said "that movie was amazing really enjoyed watching it with my friend!" So i watched it and it was a spectactular movie that wasnt that bad. The sex wasnt that bad either. But what i was slightly concerned about was the images my daughter was seeing of a child suffering cancer... But i decided that she was mature enough to handle it
Adult Written bygabbygirlcuccaro July 1, 2010

Are you in the mood for a sad movie?

This is a heartwarming but sad movie.It makes you realize what people with cancer good through. I recommend it.
Adult Written bykitkat10987 July 14, 2009

good sad movie

i say this and i cryed. it was a very good movie and it shows to always be strong no matter what.
Adult Written bywonder dove January 19, 2013

Deeply depressing but well portrayed.

I think this is a pretty good movie, but it's very depressing...you have to be in the mood for it. It deals with a lot of family situations on various subjects, mostly about illness though. Super sad if you've lost a loved one to any illness so bring a kleenex box along. I think Cameron Diaz as the mother was a pretty good placement, it was definitely a different role for her. It's basically about two close sisters (Anna and Kate) who are like best friends but one of them is dying from cancer. Anna was only born to save big sister Kate's life by donating her organs to give new life to Kate. However, Anna refuses to do it and arranges to sue her mother...which of course builds anger between them throughout most of the film. But Anna and Kate have a secret that finally unfolds towards the end. There is a lot of tension and sadness during the movie, you will think that Anna is a terrible person until you understand where she is coming from. Violence has lots of arguing and yelling, fighting between husband and wife, a mom slaps her daughter. Language is frequent with lots of common words including one "f" word. Sexual content includes a teen romance with making out, cuddling, a few sexual jokes, a teen implies she "did stuff" with her boyfriend but didn't go all the way. Some alcohol implied. I would say it's safe for viewers 14 and up who are mature enough to handle the content.
Adult Written byBeckstar October 29, 2011

far too intense

This movie is very emotional. Almost too much for me. I didn't particularly like the film, but it was acted well. It's too intense for anyone under 15 I think
Parent of a 14 year old Written byJazB April 28, 2010

perfect for tennages plus :D

i watched this film with a friend and i am 14, i loved it! it showed me how lucky i am ( no illness ) and how families can pull together in bad times! at the end it is sad i did cry :( but i would recommend it to everyone! i have just brought it on bow office :D:D
Adult Written bysuper dad 1238976 November 29, 2009

PERFECT FAMILY FILM

i have 3 sons 1 is 9 the othe other is 11 and the oldest one is 14. And i have a wife. So we decided to bye this movie to watch as a family. After about 3 minutes we decided this movie wasnt appropreat for our 9 year old to watch. But our 11 year old and 14 year watched it till the very end. My wife cried a lot and my 11 year old didnt like 1 of the images that was in the movie but still he didnt mind that much. And my 14 year old just thought it was ok. As for me i loved it and thought it was perfect family film! I couldent have asked for a better one!
Adult Written bydrama fan November 29, 2009

great movie

the movie is very good and very well derected. When i watched this movie with my 10 year old daughter she cried at parts and 1 of the images in the movie i thought was bit much but still great movie.
Adult Written bysydneyg81 July 9, 2009

this movie made my grandma cry
Adult Written bysarahurgr8 July 8, 2009

FROM A CANCER SURVIVORS POINT OF VIEW

As a past teenage cancer survivor, I thought this movie was absolutely fantastic. It really shows teens how bad cancer really is and is definitely factual in medical terms and visual issues. Having gone thru all these treatments, it was truly great to see this movie that shows everyone the real experience people like me have gone thru. I highly recommend seeing it to others.
Adult Written byFilmManiac August 4, 2011

A great film, but very emotional

"My Sister's Keeper" was a fabulous movie, especially since someone close to me struggled and died with cancer. The swearing is light, with infrequent uses of the words "sh*t" "b**ch" and "d*mn". A 14 year old has a steamy make-out, but she is on her porch which makes is less sexual. Though during prom night the 14 year old sleeps naked with her boyfriend, but it is because she knows she is going to die soon, and she admits to her mother they didn't have full-on sex.There are many positive messages and role models. The mother of a 14 year old with leukemia is very headstrong, but it is only because she loves her daughter so much and does not want to let her die.The leukemic and her little sister are very loving and caring towards each other. This movie gives the message of letting a person you love that is suffering, go. There is no real violence, just the girl with cancer has extreme nosebleeds and vomits up blood. In one scene she is so angry with her cancer that she dresses up gothic and throws glass bottles to break them.Keep in mind this is a very emotional film, with the main themes being death. This film is basically looking at 14 year old who has struggled with leukemia since she was 2, slowly die, and how the family reacts to it. The actors are very believable, which makes the movie all the more sad. This is a fabulous film, but a real tearjerker for anyone of any age.
Adult Written byi love chrismas November 29, 2009

perfect

the perfect film... Just not for young kids.
Adult Written byi am toooo matu... November 29, 2009

9 year olds love it!!!!!!

Sure this movie may sound like a big deal but it isnt. The content isnt that bad and i have to kids in y family who are 9 that watched it and loved it!
Parent of a 9 year old Written bymweeden52 July 31, 2009

I liked this movie a lot - went to see it alone as my 9 year old wanted to see it and after reading reviews decided to check it out myself first. I decided it was inappropriate for her and she is a rather mature 9. It wasn't the cancer/death issue that concerned me but the sexual inferences.
Adult Written byBrynn June 27, 2009

Beautiful story..........full of love! Content is tender and shows the love/respect siblings can have for one another.
Adult Written byerbear89 June 26, 2009

Smooth sailing for 16 and up

This film deals with a lot of the problems and emotions that a family goes through when a tragedy such as this happens. Some people are selfish and others are all giving in this miraculous film. However, the material is for an older audience of about 16 or older. That age will really appreciate some of the goings on, and get more of the seriousness of the film, and will understand some of the legal jargon and terms and how the legal system works. However, be warned that there are more then a few curse words in this film.
Parent of a 4, 9, 9, 10, 10, and 11 year old Written byodelatorre June 24, 2009