All parent member reviews for Nancy Drew

Adult Written byLoriL April 9, 2008

Very disappointing

I saw this movie in the theater with my 10-year-old daughter. We were very much looking forward to this movie since my daughter reads Nancy Drew books and plays the Nancy Drew cd-rom games. This movie was nothing like the Nancy Drew mysteries of the books and games. It dealt with an out-of-wedlock actress who went into hiding during her pregnancy, gave the baby up, then came back. Nancy searched for the now grown woman, also a single mother. My daughter was left asking where the child's father was, how this woman got pregnant in the first place, etc., etc. Had the writers never read a Nancy Drew book before? The books were titled "The Secret of the Old Clock", "The Whispering Statue", "The Haunted Bridge", etc., not "The Mystery of the Unwanted Pregnancy". I must say I'm a bit disappointed with Common Sense Media for not picking up on this story-line also.
Parent of a 7 year old Written bycitymom April 9, 2008

Major theme is out-of-wedlock pregnancy!

I was so shocked that of all mysteries, Nancy Drew was caught up in one involving unwed pregnancy, secret childbirth, who's the father, etc.!! I knew there would be murder and didn't like that either, but decided we could deal with it. Like another reviewer on this site, I was stuck explaining to my 9 year old why this unmarried actress disappeared and had a baby. And of course they said "she never married" many times. I could deal with the mild kissing and mild violence (although my daughter had nightmares about the guy with 2 different colored eyes) but the thematic nature of the movie was inappropriate - there are plenty of mysteries she could have solved without entering this territory. Disappointed!
Adult Written byallgirls April 9, 2008

Iffy

Umm.....not our family's cup of tea. i kept reading wholesome reviews. The truth is, the "mystery" Nancy is solving is trying to find a murdered actresses out of wedlock child that she gave up for adoption. Then when she finds her, she is a single mother, and there is some discussion of who the father is. Then in the end, the inherited house is made into a home for single mothers.I was stuck explaining some things to my 8 year old that I hadn't bargained on. Wholesome is in the eye of the beholder.
Parent of a 4 and 7 year old Written byArete February 6, 2011

Single moms

I thought the portrayals of single moms were positive (I'm a single mom), but parents should be aware--prominent in plot are 2 generations of single moms, adoption, and maternal death x 2 as well as child being taken from mom by social services (which scared my 7 year old). Also, there are some very scary scenes that involve an older man being violent and threatening to Nancy.
Parent of a 5, 9, 11, and 12 year old Written byayeshaq June 30, 2010

Romance

I really liked this movie! It was great but, I found that there was too much romance.
Parent of a 7 year old Written bykikpong@earthli... June 20, 2009

Child taken by CPS bothered my 7-year old

Although my husband and I managed, we were not prepared to explain to our daughter why a child would be taken from its mother by CPS. My 7-year old was a more than a little perturbed by the idea that a child could be taken away from its mother because of another person's lies. The unwed mother / unwanted pregnancy / adoption issues seemed to go over her head; she hasn't asked any questions. I just discovered this website today; if I had, we would not have watched Nancy Drew at this time.
Adult Written byjgarbarz April 9, 2008

Cute movie-bad plot

I like many of the other reviewers was not pleased with the story line. There are way too many other stories that could have been used. I would have liked to have been warned about the unplanned pregnancy, clueless father and the premise that this story line is okay and acceptable.
Adult Written byclimb4time2 April 9, 2008

Good Mystery Fun

This was perfect for my 10 year old. She doesn't like too scary. This was a good mystery with enough plot and emotion that she dealt with small "tense" spots well. 12 year old liked it as well. I ended up taking my 4 year old in as well. It wasn't anything she couldn't handle, but she was a little bored right in the middle. I liked the movie. It was fun and not full of unneccesary "bad stuff" that seems to be in everything lately. ENJOY!!!
Adult Written byChuck Reid March 16, 2012

Perfect movie!!

This movie was very cool.It was action packed and really funny.It is one of the best mystery movies ever!
Parent of a 17 year old Written bylove2 September 26, 2009

ok

it was vilont and scary but it was just an ok kind of movie i wish i could give it 2.5 stars but sense i cant i will give it 3.
Parent of a 10 year old Written byninoca100 June 30, 2009

Good family movie, especially if you have daughters.

Nancy Drew is an excellent role model for young girls: smart, stylish in an old fashioned way, and does not give in to peer pressure.
Parent of a 3, 6, and 8 year old Written byJessicaBurton1980 January 5, 2009

Adult Written byquest13 April 9, 2008

Fun good movie

I liked it.
Adult Written bytredmer April 9, 2008

Great role model for young girls

This movie was appropriate for 10 and up. I think 8 might be a bit young for some of the suspense. Nancy is such a great role model. She is smart and resouceful, yet very apprehensive of getting involved with Ned. The movie was fun and had the mild suspense that my kids loved. My son even enjoyed it. While I was watching it the single mom aspect never occured to me or my kids and I have two 10 year olds. I wish they would make more movies like this.
Adult Written byDance4HISjoy April 9, 2008

Terrific movie

I loved this movie - I took my 12-year old daughter and her best friend and we all enjoyed it. This has our vote as our favorite movie this summer! Nancy is an excellent role model, proving that being smart and standing out from the crowd is okay. Her sweetness and beauty are a breath of fresh air from the trashiness we see in young women portrayed in the movies these days. My only problem was that I was a huge Nancy Drew fan as a kid, and I don't know why they chose to move River Heights to the midwest. River Heights was in California!