Parent reviews for National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation

Silly humor for the holidays; some iffy stuff.

Parent of a 8 and 11-year-old Written bybwolfe90 November 28, 2012

Fun, but not for young kids

It is a fun movie and a personal modern Christmas classic along with A Christmas Story and Scrooged. It's important to note though that presents from Santa are discussed.

Adult Written bytommysportsgirl April 9, 2008

Ok, not for kids, but still...

The funniest National Lampoon movie of them all!!! You've got to see this at Christmas.
If you've got kids, wait until it airs on television- that way it will filter some of the language and sexual content.
Adult Written byOpiemom December 25, 2011

Not appropriate

Yuck! There is some slapstick humor, but really the language and the sexual overtones are inappropriate. Lying, and adultery are not funny in any circumstance

Adult Written byhellomynameisgeorge November 26, 2010

great for middle schoolers and up

this is a great christmas movie for the whole family. some kids wont get all the jokes, and there is nothing bad in it. the slapstick humor is funny. this is for middle schoolers and up. mabey a fifth grader if he acts mature. overall i give this movie for a great christmas movie a 10/10

Parent of a 5, 5, 11, and 13-year-old Written bylittch June 17, 2010

A Tradition

We watch it every year at Christmas. It's a tradition. There is some language.

Adult Written byTheBrandon December 6, 2019

An Alternative to The Cheesy Cliches

Hilarious and very entertaining. One of Chevy Chase's best roles is Clark Griswold. There is some profanity, and a few provocative scenes, but it is truly a classic. If you're looking for a break from all of the cliché movies that all have a very similar storyline, this movie is for you!

Adult Written bykpete4 January 18, 2019

Very good

A hilarious movie for the entire family to enjoy. A good way to teach kids safety lessons and common sense. Not overly inappropriate
Parent of a 10-year-old Written byKC K. December 23, 2018

Classic Funny Family Christmas/Holiday Month Movie

OK, this movie is from National Lampoon's whose slapstick humor is in the DNA of every movie. Most of their movies are NOT family friendly. So this one has plenty of comedy moments meant for adults, not kids. Yet as a whole it is hard to find another modern Christmas/Holiday month movie that is so entertaining from beginning to end for the whole family. It portrays the ways we often really feel about family - from Uncle Eddie & Aunt Bethany to the in-laws - yet in the end we still get together every year and do it all again! We use the adult moments to communicate with our 10yo son. We have not sheltered him much from PG/PG-13 movies swearing or sexual references (which we talk about what it means). We are fortunate he is quite mature, on the other hand he is still just a kid!
Adult Written byEricaDee December 23, 2018

Best Christmas Comedy Around

LOVE this movie. This is the first year my 7 year old has seen it and she laughed the whole time. Chevy Chase is SO funny for all ages. A few swear words but nothing too vulgar and not what they hear on the elementary school playground (seriously).

Adult Written byRarityfan October 10, 2018

It's that time of the year again

Do not try this at home! Lot of dirty comedy and slapstick comedy for the family that likes some old mindless Christmas movies. Tame compared to the many wild 2010s comedies where people are having a drunk party all the time with loud rave music.

Parent of a 10-year-old Written byMovieman456 June 1, 2020
Adult Written byPres January 1, 2020

Lying Adultery Sex Lewd

Not funny. Not Christmassy. Not for children.

Adult Written byjcmcdowell December 21, 2019

Funniest Christmas movie ever!

Great movie! Incredibly funny! Has a lot of very edgy stuff though. I love all the parts where windows break and also when the cat gets electrocuted by the Christmas lights around the tree. I don’t know how many times I laughed during this movie. Amazing movie with nonstop comedy. Only appropriate for kids 13 and up.

Adult Written bypp1000000 December 13, 2019

Awesome mom

I love the car

Parent of a 13-year-old Written bybigO4 December 3, 2018

pg

its family fun

Adult Written bySharp1070 January 7, 2018

Ridiculous!

This show is awful! The sexual stuff and a married man fantasizing about another women is wrong! This movie is not fit for children or adults! It's a perverted movie!

Parent Written byAnya P. December 19, 2017

May be funny but NOT a family movie!!!!

My pastor showed several funny moments from the movie which were funny. I decided to see a trailer before watching it with the whole family. I quickly realized that it’s not a movie for my family. I agree , there are funny moments, but there are some very inappropriate scenes as well. I don’t understand how any parent can watch a movie like that with their children....

Parent of a 9, 11, and 11-year-old Written byBex6911 December 19, 2015

If profanity is a problem for you, then no kids. Otherwise,

There is swearing. My kids do not have virgin ears. If you tell your kids that they make bad choices and none of it could really happen, they should be fine. It's funny as heck!!!

Adult Written byameliaw1 November 26, 2015

Family

Watch this with my family every thanksgiving!

Adult Written bykpianist7 August 28, 2015

One of the funniest movies I've ever seen in my life.