Parent reviews for News of the World

News of the World Poster Image

A new different look at the old west.

A freshly different route traveling through Western country, focusing on two strangers to meet by chance, and how they get to know and trust each other as they go through various experiences. Captivating and mysterious but realistic, too.

Great Movie

An excellent movie, very well directed with an excellent cast. Set in an 1870 time frame, it gives the viewer an insight into what life was like in that time in history. In passing, I liked the movie so much that I added it to my 4K HD movie collection. In passing, I can't help but think that Helena Zenger is what Jennifer Lawrence must've looked like as a young woman.

The violence is pretty standerd stuff

Great Family Movie

There is not much negative content making it great even for younger kids. It has good messages. It was action, and also shows regular life of people in the west.

Realistic, entertaining movie

A realistic western with all the perils of traveling in turbulent times. Some intense scenes yet my family thoroughly enjoyed the movie.

Read This Review!!!

Look, this movie is your typical western, with shootouts, little sexual content. Some of the movie might be intense, where multiple people are killed with pistols, shotguns, ect. But even so there are positive role models and little blood.

Lots of loose ends

A good movie with a satisfying denouement. Hanks isn’t totally convincing as an ex-soldier and western character, but that doesn’t harm the movie. Helena Zengel played her part well, but there wasn’t much meat there. If I had a problem, it was the multitude of story arcs: the main story of returning the little girl to her relatives; the plight of the Indians; overcoming the demons of loss of a wife and loss of parents; the outlaws who want to buy the girl; the impact of the civil war; the evil boss of a camp/town; the young man who helps out the pair and is struggling with what to make of his life; the family members who mistreat the girl; the unique job of news reader, and more. It’s like they kept adding in subplots until the movie was long enough. Overall worth the watch.

A crowd pleasing film. Great to watch with your family.

It’s Tom Hanks first western. It’s bound to have certain charms. It has those, and the production value is fantastic, but it personally let me down a little bit, but kids will have a lot of fun. Violence: Western violence. Some people are shot, with a puff of blood. There are fistfights. Not very graphic. There’s menace, and obstacles our characters have to get past. Nothing super violent here, some graphic images as well. (Such as partially skinned cows littering the background.) Language: D**n is used consistently. Probably about 5 times with God before it. It’s not super common, but something to remember. Sex and consumption are very mild. There is a minor sexual reference, dodging any graphic talk, but due to the circumstances it’s used more as a taunt. Some minor alcohol consumption and some cigarettes may have been smoked. Extra: Role models and messages are here. Messages are particularly positive, and our main character evolves quite a bit from the start.