Kid reviews for Newsies: The Broadway Musical

Dazzling staged musical has some mild cursing.

No reviews yetAdd your rating

Teen, 14 years old Written byMusicalWhovian October 22, 2017

My Current Favorite Besides Les Mis

Ask me for my favorite musical? NEWSIES. I love Jeremy and Kara- their performances are fantastic. Mild cussing, a few kisses, but I'd say twelve and up would really enjoy this romance. Great role models, Katherine is a sassy feminist that audiences love, Jack is a 19th century Robin Hood. Have fun and carry the banner.

Teen, 14 years old Written byMochiWolf March 17, 2018

My latest obsession!

THIS IS THE GREATEST MUSICAL EVER!!!!! When I heard about the plotline, I was like "Yeah, this'll be boring...kids go on strike against some dude who writes newspapers." Oh, how wrong I was! This musical is without a doubt my favorite musical OF ALL TIME!!!! The music is incredible ("Letter From The Refuge" literally made me cry, and I dare you to watch this without bobbing your head/humming/singing along to Sieze the Day!) All the Newsie boys are so likeable, and there is someone for everyone to relate to. There is some violence, and I got super upset when Crutchie got beat up, but I mean, nobody gets too badly injured in the end. Anyways, I wish I could rate this dazzling, inspiring, obsess-worthy (is that a word? Oh well...) musical to EVERYONE!!

Teen, 15 years old Written byMara_Jade December 30, 2017

Carpe Diem

I had listened to (and really liked) the music before I saw this, but nothing could have prepared me for the actual thing. The music and dance numbers are great, and I especially loved Carrying the Banner and Something to Believe In. Jeremy Jordan (one of my favorite actors :) )and Kara Lindsay were amazing, as was the rest of the cast and I liked how it was a mix of people from the original Broadway run and the two national tours. This show gives messages about never giving up, and that anyone can make a diffefence, no matter how "insignificant" or young. Katherine is a great role model first of all because she is a female reporter in a time when they were almost non existent, and also because she stands up for what she believes in, no matter the consequences. Jack, like Katherine, stands up for what he believes in. He definitely comes across as one of the "tougher" newsies, but throughout the movie, we repeatedly see a softer, more romantic side to him. Davey is definitely the calmer newsie, and tries to make things better without using violence. I was surprised at the amount of swearing in this, and while it's not really bad, there are a few instances in which the word in question is shouted. Very loudly. There's a bit of violence, that being the two fight scenes during Seize the Day, but, if needed, they can be easily skipped. Also, Commonsense said that injuries are not sustained, however, in Act II many of the newsies are shown with bruises on their faces, and one's arm is in a sling. Another newsie is shown to have cuts on his arms and face, and is said to have been "busted up so bad he couldn't even come to the window" and the characters worry that he "won't make it." Overall, GO WATCH NEWSIES!!!!!!! You will love it!

Kid, 12 years old February 25, 2018

The musical of a lifetime

I personally am in LOVE with this musical! There are a few minor curse words that come out of Race and Jack's mouth, and there is a few kisses and Racetrack does smoke, but with parental guidence, it's perfect for a family movie night! Keep on carrying the banner!!

Teen, 14 years old Written bySlytherin Queen November 26, 2018

Best Broadway musical of all time

I love Newsies the musical so much! The songs are catchy, the cast is amazing and just everything about it is awesome. Great for kids of all ages. There is some mild language and a man and a woman kiss.

Teen, 13 years old Written byAbbie P April 26, 2018

PLEASE GO WATCH THIS

Newsies Live is absolutely amazing. Being the much less expensive alternative to actually going to NY to see a Broadway show, Newsies is a great adaption of the classic movie! Bad words: h**l, a*s, d**n One character does constantly have a cigar in his mouth, and there is a scene where one character says "he traded [his mother] for a box of cigars", to which he replied "hey! They was Coronas!" . Typical kissing scene, as well as a character who "got beat up so bad he couldn't come to the window" and "might not make it". Aside from all that, it sends a great message about standing up for what you believe in, and not quitting, even when the going gets rough. Plus, not only are the characters good role models, so are the actors (of course, they aren't perfect. We're all human.) All in all, 20/10

Teen, 15 years old Written byA.Ham February 5, 2019

Very well done

The Newsies movie from the 90s doesn't compare to this. The actors have beautiful voices, the choreography is amazing. There's mild cussing, a boy carries around an unlit cigar for most of the musical, and there's flirting/kissing. Jeremy Jordan is one of the best singers ever. There is a pretty big fight scene, but nothing graphic is shown besides a boy getting "beaten" by a crutch (he isn't actually struck).

Teen, 16 years old Written byibis painty January 29, 2019

Pro/Con Overall Amazing

Good: Feminist message, kids message, Strength in strategy, persistence, message, music, script, acting Bad: smoking, light swearing, light violence (This is a stage musical so the cigar is a prop and the fighting is choreographed)

Kid, 12 years old January 26, 2019

I. LOVE. NEWSIES!

I love this musical and wanna play Katherine so much!

Kid, 11 years old November 23, 2018

it great!

this musical is amazing ! it has mild language but nothing offensive at all the songs are bops,Kathrine and jack kiss twice but its more of a peck which is not drawn out cructhie is a character who has a bad leg but there are no magor story-lines about his legs he is a strong character who just happens to have a bad leg

Teen, 15 years old Written byDisneygirl_12 September 17, 2018

AMAZING!!!

There is no other word for it, unless it’s along the lines of fantastic. The Broadway musical, in my opinion, is much better than the original Disney movie, even though that was awesome too. One downside is that there is quite a bit of swearing, though nothing too bad. One of the characters smokes a cigar throughout the musical, and there is one scene where some of the characters get badly beaten, leaving bruises and other marks visible in later scenes. Other than that, there’s nothing that should stop you and your kids from watching this. I was blown away by it the first time I watched it and have listened to the soundtrack a million times since. I consider it a must-see.

Teen, 14 years old Written bysingingtothesky September 2, 2018

AMAZING with a great lesson!

This is an amazing musical! Jeremy Jordan and Kara Lindsay are both incredible. It's got amazing messages about never giving up and staying true to what's right. However, there is quite a bit of staged violence, including two full-on gang-like fights and several characters getting dragged. Still, as long as that isn't a problem, everyone should watch this! I promise you won't be disappointed! This was fine for a 9 year old who was scared of Mrs. Trunchbull from Matilda, and me, a 14 year old. My parents also loved it.

Teen, 13 years old Written byKatiejoanballz July 12, 2018

By far one of Alan Menken’s best

With a score written by such an amazing composer like Menken, there’s no way that it could be bad. And that’s true. The score is absolutely gorgeous and even earned a Tony Award. This movie shows the hardships of being a Newsboy at the turn of the century. Katherine is an inspiration to all girls and makes up for being only one of five girls in the cast. She is sassy, beautifully written, and so intelligent. I enjoyed the musical fully and I recommend it to everyone out there. With voices like Jeremy Jordan, Kara Lindsay, and Ben Fankhauser, there is no way the music could be bad. One of the Newsies, Race, does carry a cigar in his mouth the whole entire show.

Teen, 15 years old Written byAlanna Hoppe June 9, 2018

My favorite musical!!

This is my favorite musical EVER!!! It tells the story of Union leader, Jack Kelly as he leads his friends and young journalist, Katherine Plumber in a strike against the newspapers. The songs are amazing, the dancing is beautiful and the characters are played wonderfully. I am pretty sure I have watched this movie several hundred times, much to the annoyance of my family. And I have no intention on stopping because it is just that good!!

Kid, 10 years old April 29, 2018