Parent reviews for Nightbooks

Nightbooks Poster Image

Very engaging story and it was well done. There is some light cursing from the children that might be a problem for some parents. The movie does have some visually frightful elements as well, so you really just need to know your kid. My almost 8 year old was able to handle it and ultimately enjoyed it. I honestly wish there were more movies like this. It’s not overly violent or graphic but it’s actually has some scary elements making it an enjoyable holiday movie. I wouldn’t let children who are sensitive to horror or kids who can’t understand the difference between reality and film watch this though.

Too scary for kids under 13

This film is awful! Be careful if you don't want your child to be afraid and cry at nights :( There are far too many special effects in the film. Children from 7-12 years will take the events seriously. Children believe that such things can really happen. In the film, the events are made to look so real. Netflix has rated this suitable for 7-year-olds (in Europe) but that's ridiculous. It has not been thought what age group it would be suitable for. Some scenes are really scary. The film stayed in my kid's mind even after a while. It can really scare any child who is not used to watching horror movies.

Scary movie for kids

Very nice and good story and good for halloween for kids older then 11! Interresting twist of the story. The movie has all kinds of scary scenes, gore, spooky, thriller, monsters and so forth.

Enjoyable Tween/Family Movie

Goosebumps meets Hansel & Gretal. A different look at an old story. Had out two tweens enthralled through the entire movie. My husband and I enjoyed watching it as well. Great watch for Halloween, that won't cause nightmares.

Scary

This film is not suitable for any child under 13yrs old, it has jumpy, scary and generally not nice bits in it

Spooky new classic encourages individuality

It’s so difficult to find a scary movie for tweens and teens under 16 — everything is either has over-the-top gore or is aimed at really young, elementary-age kids. Nightbooks is the scary movie you’ve been looking for — great messages about teamwork, being true to yourself, and the power of persistence. Both protagonists are positive role models, and the scares are age-appropriate for middle school and up. Based on a kids’ novel, Nightbooks is creepy and emotionally moving simultaneously, thanks to a clever director and two truly impressive and convincing kid actors. So happy Netflix produced this captivating film; it almost makes up for Fear Street. Well, almost.

Great spooky family flick!

I was a little worried with this one due to the "fear and violence" subject matter note on Netflix. But if your kid can handle the Goosebump movies, they'll be fine with this. Definitely some jump scares and creepy scenes, but it's all very kid friendly. We watched with our 9-year-old and had to pause a few times because he kept talking and getting so involved in the story line. If I was watching with my nephew of the same age, who is normally not good with anything scary, we wouldn't have watched this. But for kids who can handle a "little bit scary" it's appropriate.