Parent reviews for Nightbooks

Book-based fantasy-horror tale has lots of scares, peril.

Adult Written byVickie141173 September 29, 2021

Scary

This film is not suitable for any child under 13yrs old, it has jumpy, scary and generally not nice bits in it
Parent of a 14 and 14-year-old Written byReda R. September 20, 2021

Spooky new classic encourages individuality

It’s so difficult to find a scary movie for tweens and teens under 16 — everything is either has over-the-top gore or is aimed at really young, elementary-age kids. Nightbooks is the scary movie you’ve been looking for — great messages about teamwork, being true to yourself, and the power of persistence. Both protagonists are positive role models, and the scares are age-appropriate for middle school and up. Based on a kids’ novel, Nightbooks is creepy and emotionally moving simultaneously, thanks to a clever director and two truly impressive and convincing kid actors. So happy Netflix produced this captivating film; it almost makes up for Fear Street. Well, almost.

Parent of a 15-year-old Written byUnritten75 October 23, 2021

Enjoyable Tween/Family Movie

Goosebumps meets Hansel & Gretal. A different look at an old story. Had out two tweens enthralled through the entire movie. My husband and I enjoyed watching it as well. Great watch for Halloween, that won't cause nightmares.

Parent Written byAbjorg October 31, 2021

Scary movie for kids

Very nice and good story and good for halloween for kids older then 11! Interresting twist of the story. The movie has all kinds of scary scenes, gore, spooky, thriller, monsters and so forth.

Adult Written by300Freckles September 19, 2021

Great spooky family flick!

I was a little worried with this one due to the "fear and violence" subject matter note on Netflix. But if your kid can handle the Goosebump movies, they'll be fine with this. Definitely some jump scares and creepy scenes, but it's all very kid friendly.

We watched with our 9-year-old and had to pause a few times because he kept talking and getting so involved in the story line. If I was watching with my nephew of the same age, who is normally not good with anything scary, we wouldn't have watched this. But for kids who can handle a "little bit scary" it's appropriate.

Adult Written bySunshineB81 September 18, 2021