Parent reviews for Nope

Nope Movie Poster

Great for teen plus

There is swearing and pot smoking. Most disturbing is a chimp that kills a girl and bites off her face. They don’t show it but it is implied. Chimp had blood everywhere. Then it is shot. The UFO parts are just creepy. Some jump scares. A man does in the beginning and they show his body. A brother and sister work together to defeat the UFO.

6 people found this helpful.

2 people found this helpful.

Kids of the age of 2 will learn a lot

It is great for kids. Like Cocomelon or pepa pig. Your kids will love this movie and 16 plus is so exaggerated.!

1 person found this helpful.

Fantastic film which will stick with you afterwards. Go watch with your teenage kids.

Jordan Peele is becoming one of the better American writers/directors of our time. NOPE seems to shift from his previous two films bit it's great nonetheless. I say some parent review that stated they just didn't "get it" and gave it 1 star. If that is the case, then they need to be spoon fed a plot to understand a film. Yes, you have to use your brain to process the entire film. NOPE is not necessarily a horror film but it is 100% a thriller/suspense film along the lines of Hitchcock. Yes, there is a chimp scene (which frankly is amazing in how it's filmed and presented in the movie) which may disturb some people but there is nothing gratuitous. I took my 17 year old daughter and she loved it. If you would like to see a mashup of Close Encounters/Jaws/Alien/Once Upon A Time in Hollywood/Contact/ and any multiple western films...then this is the movie for you (and your teenage kids).

1 person found this helpful.
I really liked the antioption and the pacing of the reveal. It left me wondering what was going on. The gore wasn't too much and it left me feeling it could have been more for a rated R. If it wasn't for the F words I would say that this would have received a rating of PG-13.
1 person found this helpful.

Nope is a YES for another black-led thriller

I will preface this review by saying that we are Jordan Peele fans. He is a champion of inclusion and brings race into purview with intelligent and artistic themes, such as: strength in the face of adversity, the importance of familial bonds, challenging the status quo, black erasure, etc. There are some self-censored graphic scenes depicting violence (animal vs human), but they are handled well by obscuring the view of the audience from the victim; however, there are squelching sounds that let you feel the intensity and the fear of the experience without fully seeing it. Two characters do regularly consume cannabis and my only complaint about that is the use of high concentrate THC cartridges. These vape pens are much more likely to lead to the development of substance dependency and they generate a LOT of plastic waste. I’d much preferred to see the characters using cannabis flower. The characters do swear, but you know, there is a predator in the sky snatching up their livelihood and scaring the daylights out of them, so… There are no simulated sex scenes or uncomfortable dialogue about sex. Only one character even mentions it and it’s in passing mentioning a therapist she is hooking up with (female-female). This is refreshing having experienced movies as a child of the 90’s where everyone took their top off before they were murdered/died.

Sci-fi Horror for Older Audiences

Jordan Peele's Nope is a cinematic tour-du-force of spectacle, reminiscent of big budget films from the 80s and 90s. It's a sci-fi thriller/horror and less psychological than his previous endeavors, but that also makes it fun. It'll keep viewers on the edge of your screen screaming "Nope!" Not for younger viewers, but ages 16 + will enjoy it especially if they love sci-fi. https://youtu.be/nbOWclyiXhE

Good for teens 14 and up

This movie was great, you can tell it’s pretty thought out and the cinematography is amazing. There are a couple of jump scares in the movie and the character swear quite a bit. I would recommend this move to teenagers age 14 and up, specifically for the scary factor of it. If you like watching movies where problems are resolved in the end then you will enjoy this movie.

Really good, but disturbing movie

It was pretty disturbing, the chimp scene and digestion scream scene were really disturbing. Awesome movie, I would say 14/15 though.

Ambitious, entertaining horror/thriller with some violence

I still like Peele's last film (Us) better, but this was tense and entertaining, and more sci-fi/thriller than horror in my opinion. There's a good amount of swearing, as well as some violence and resulting terror, but I didn't find it to be super bloody/gory. Amazing cinematography and great cast and performances, and very interesting to think about humans' reactions to and even exploitation of phenomena, peril, and the unknown. I'd definitely recommend.