Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Find entertainment that fits your kid's interests and your parenting style.

Go to For Your Family

Parent reviews for Now and Then

'90s coming-of-age movie has some sex, profanity.

Adult Written bydranaqueen September 23, 2017

not bad.

this movie is PG-13 a perfect rating. it's not bad. an innocent kiss between two kids. good movie.
Parent of a 9, 12, and 15 year old Written byKaren S April 26, 2017

Great girl friendship movie with believable girl characters

I showed this movie to mature 6th graders in my Girl Scout troop and it was well-liked. I loved that the girls look and dress like believable characters instead of Hollywood versions of 12 year olds. I also loved that it was about a group of friends sticking together as opposed to plots about bullies or friends who turn on each other which are common to so many other tween and teen movie. Friendship movies without fights and betrayals are hard to find. I do not think there are scenes about sex, but there are some scenes that are realistic for what 12 year old girls think and experiences in puberty, like a character who mentions several times wanting her breasts to be bigger, three girls who tell a naive other friend what sex is (this is portrayed in cutaway frames to humorous effect), a very mild and sweet first kiss.... all shown in ways that are very believable. You also see a quick shot of a boy's bare buttocks as he runs down the street after the girls steal his clothes while he was skinny dipping. I think this movie has a ton to offer for middle schoolers and beyond as a movie showing positive friendships and inner growth in the characters.