Kid reviews for Nowhere Boy

Compelling, mature portrait of a musician as a young man.

Teen, 14 years old Written bythundermuffin December 30, 2012

FANTASTIC MOVIE, some iffy scenes for some kids

This movie has a great message: Keep trying, no matter what anyone tells you, and don't listen to people who tell you that you can't do it. The sky is the limit.

You have to be a little bit older to really appreciate this movie. Younger kids who aren't familiar with the Beatles or the time period might be a bit confused.

There is a lot of cursing. The F-word, the S-word, all that stuff. But if your kid already knows the words, then I don't think it'll do much harm. I mean, just make sure your kid knows that just because they hear it in a movie doesn't mean they can go around saying those words in real life. I don't think cursing should prevent anyone from seeing the movie. That's just dumb, unless of course your kids are really young and you don't want them hearing that. But if your kid is old enough that he/she knows the word, just emphasize that they aren't allowed to say it. Really, kids hear those words 500 bajillion times a day in school. It shouldn't stop them from watching the movie.

Drinking and smoking. Well, yeah, it was the 50's. People didn't know that smoking was bad for you back then. Again, make sure to tell your kid that times were different, and just because they see it in a movie doesn't mean it's okay.
Alcohol use isn't made too obvious. It's like Uncle George is drinking "something" out of a canteen thing and then he passes it to his nephew, John, so he can have a little taste. Then he takes it away, saying he's too young to drink too much of that stuff. So yeah, it's little stuff like that. It never really comes right out and says it.

As for sex, there's only a little bit. There's a brief, brief scene where John has his hand up a girl's skirt, and then she pulls down his pants and gets on her knees. The scene cuts right there. NOTHING IS SHOWN. Seriously, the only skin shown is their face, hands, and legs. Pretty normal. And from the part where she gets on her knees to when the scene ends is literally half a second. Some younger kids might not even notice. Again, this short scene should not prevent anyone from seeing this great movie.

This movie is so fantastic!!!!! I LOVE IT!!!!!! As long as your kid is smart enough to know not to be like "so-and-so in the movie did it, so it's okay". As long as your kid has that common sense (ha! Commonsensemedia.org!), you should be fine.

Teen, 13 years old Written bydr.moriartemisha November 10, 2014

Sad, beautiful, funny and memorable

I loved this movie. I highly recommend it for music fans, hot-guy appreciators, indies and people looking for an interesting and sad movie to watch. Set in the 50s, it's about John Lennon's late teenage years. Mature 11yo could probably handle it.

Teen, 15 years old Written byMcCartneyHaim March 22, 2014

Interesting glimpse of John Lennon's teen years!

I have been obsessed with the Beatles for about 5 years now and I am 15. I wanted to check this movie out for a really long time... I'm really glad I watched it! It has some very mature themes and a ton of swearing such as the f bomb. There is also a brief sex scene which can be disturbing. This movie is filled with so much emotion it made me tear up! It made me view John in a whole different way... If you are a a Beatles fan this is a must see. Although if you are a younger Beatles fan I suggest you wait to see it:)

Teen, 17 years old Written bymoviewannabe September 22, 2013

Glad I saw this

I never anticipated a movie about the rise of the Beatles and the story of how John Lennon became the rhythm guitarist of the Beatles. Personally, if John Lennon was still alive, he'd love to see this movie to narrate his story. Never knew his mother hit by a car. This movie should've been PG-13, but they gave it an R for language.

Teen, 15 years old Written byFlashofDelirium September 11, 2013

Amazing :)

This is probably one of my favorite movies! It's really great for anyone who is into music and loves music. It tells a really great, inspirational story and I loved it.

Teen, 14 years old Written byThat70sgirl99 May 12, 2013

Great for Beatles fans, not for kids.

As a big Beatles fan, one who has researched them and all that jazz.I have seen it. Although it does have its bad moments. There are sexual moments. As well as violence. Such as the funeral scene where John hits Paul (Paul has cited that John never hit him) and the scene where he is fantasying he just had sex with a girl he met earlier on in the movie. Another violent scene is where a guy threatens to beat up John. It is claimed, although not cited in the film, that this movie is based off of a book by one of John's two half sisters, Julia (Who was named after John's mother). Overall a great film but not for kids I'd say under the 14-16 age range.

Teen, 15 years old Written byangiegat February 17, 2013

Quality Movie

Really good movie with interesting information about John Lennon and the beginnings of the Beatles. There isn't really alot of drug just alot of smoking cigarettes. The smoking isn't really a problem because it does take place in the late 50's and early 60's when everyone smoked. Alot of the F-word but that isn't anything 7th graders haven't heard/used and it isn't over-the-top. However, it is a deeply emotional movie which some younger teens might not be able to handle.

Teen, 15 years old Written byLiamcj October 1, 2012

Very good but flawed

This was great that many Lennon/Beatle fans would enjoy. Only thing I felt that was wrong with it was the way John was portrayed. They lost a lot of Johns whit and artistic ability in the story. I also know for a fact was John hated confrintation which doesn't tie in with the film
Teen, 16 years old Written byartist5 June 14, 2012

Don't waste your time.

Don't waste your time. Besides the poorly put together plot, this movie has tons of swearing, and the sex scene didn't even fit in with the rest of the movie (explain to me why a random scene of oral sex was neccessary?). You'll walk away disappointed-I'd recommend another film if you're interested in the childhood/life of John Lennon.

Teen, 14 years old Written byocie14 September 11, 2011

Very cool movie. For older teens.

Yeah, this movie is awesome. Just pure, real drama. I'm a huge fan of The Beatles and John Lennon and I had wanted to see this movie for a while. The acting is amazing. The movie just really draws you in, and it feels like you're right there, watching all this emotion. None of it is cheesy or forced or commercial. I don't recommend it to kids under 13 or so because there's a lot of bad language and something of a sex scene. But yeah, this movie's awesome for John Lennon fans and adults. Well directed, well written, very well acted.

Teen, 14 years old Written bycheese-process May 1, 2011

Great movie about a great man.

This movie is pretty much about the relationship between him and his family. You can expect some several intense and emotional scenes. In fact, the emotion in the movie makes me not even notice the bad language. But the sex scene was pretty noticeable, but brief.

Kid, 12 years old April 20, 2011

Inspring

You've got to me mature enough to appreciate John Lennon, but this is amazing. The acting is superb, it makes you cry, it's moving, it's inspiring. Wow. Forget the cussing, and people calling that tiny tiny scene a sex scene is kinda ridiculous. Love the music, everyone was perfectly cast, it was deep. Only complaint is I would have liked Cynthia to be it, and more George. The best part is that the guy who plays Paul is kinda hot.
Kid, 10 years old January 28, 2011

Nowhere Boy

A good but sad John Lennon story. A sex scene. A lot of language and drugs as well.

Kid, 10 years old January 28, 2011

Nowhere Boy

A good but sad John Lennon story. A sex scene but very brief. John t listen and has some inspirational moments. A lot of cussing and drugs though.

Teen, 16 years old Written bylumosliz January 26, 2011

Great movie for those old enough to appreciate Lennon.

I've been a huge fan of The Beatles since I was a baby, practically, and when I saw this film I fell in love. I think it's great for teens and adults because they can relate to how Lennon was feeling at the time (and Aaron Johnson did a spectacular job playing him) but honestly, younger children and tweens wouldn't really get the message—plus the fact that there's a scene where a girl goes down on John really isn't something anyong under 16 should see. It may not be a family movie for those with children but it's got a great message for those who are older. As always, drinking and smoking aren't exactly great for role models but since the movie's about John Lennon, it's very understandable. Also, the language may not be appropriate for teens to hear and subsequently repeat—in the eyes of parents—but it helps fit the register of the film and time (Limeys and Brits do tend to swear like the sailors and workers they are sometimes). Overall, I highly recommend this movie to teens and especially their parents, who might appreciate it a bit more, but I caution that children might just have to wait to see it until they get a bit older.

Teen, 15 years old Written byMlee October 17, 2010

Teen, 17 years old Written byPeaceLuvJonas October 10, 2010
LOVE THIS MOVIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
AARON JOHNSON RULES