Parent reviews for Old Yeller

Old Yeller Poster Image

Traumatized by this movie

Seriously commonsesnse? I was traumatized by this in 1975 and you are recommending it. A boy has to kill his hero dog. Horrible, traumatizing subject.
1 person found this helpful.

Great movie, but too much for younger audiences

This is a really cute, adventurey film about a boy and his dog. I think it’s be great for families and kids who love animals UNTIL the more dramatic scenes where the dog fights the wild animals and ends up having to be shot! That’s so sad, and it’s too upsetting for many adults, let alone innocent kids.

Life Lessons None Can Avoid

Death is a difficult subject, but it’s better to have your child attempt to grasp it from a fiction novel than real life events. I wanted my son to read it to help him come to terms with the cycle of life. Life isn’t all rainbows and butterflies, and we certainly can’t shelter our children all their lives. I recommend this book for any child who is mature enough to handle real life issues and parents who are continuously preparing their children with the coping mechanisms necessary to grow with the hardships of life.

Too Much Sadness - Needless Drama and sadness. Far worse than should be allowed.

I read this when I was in 6th grade. I got to where the guy shoots his dog in the head and was sobbing so much I couldn't read any more. It affected me so much I can't believe they allow, even recommend it for kids under 16. If your kid reads this, make sure to keep the therapist handy, he/she may need one.

One of My Favorites

This is an old favorite of mine. The ending is definitely sad, and I still cry. But emotion is what makes a good story, and it a great film/book. Even as a kid I thought it was a beautiful tale. However it was a story and I didn't expect any such thing to happen in my life. After all I was a city kid.

Saddest movie in the world!

My sister and I used to watch this often when we were around 6/7, and it is a wonderful movie aside from it being ridiculously sad. My *older* sister would just ball her eyes out every time. It's the perfect story of forgiveness, love and friendship. That's what I truly love about these older 1900's films, they're so good and you never have to worry about inappropriate content! Old Yeller is a dog you will forever remember!!! Violence has some old fashioned western action like animal attacks, chasing, rock throwing, rifles and gun shots, injuries of both humans and animals. Language isn't a problem, very very mild flirting between kids and no smoking. Just good clean fun and good role models. Have plenty of kleenex on hand, you will definitely need it!!! OK for the 7+ crowd.

good for children over 7 years of age

Despite the tragedy near the end the film deals with themes of loss, loyalty, friendship, courage etc. The film ends on a rather happy note where Travis is given a new puppy suggesting that loss and death are not the end. Young children who have not been exposed to death may be confused as to why Travis is forced to shoot his dog. Additionally this decision by Travis can translate doing the right thing even when it's the hard thing to do

REEAD

please let your kids see this it will help them learn a few leasons about normal life of way back when and now also the future u are doing a good thing to let then watch this movie good choice byeeee

8 and up.

old yeller is a great movie for your young kids but there is a little bit of violence when old yeller is fighting a wolf a bear and a hog.