All teen and kid member reviews for Oliver!

Teen, 13 years old Written byBestPicture1996 January 2, 2010

Lavish but nearly opera-like

I'm not big on musicals, but if they have catchy tunes I'll stay tuned, plus this won Best Picture so I had to see it. There are about 3 minutes between numbers and good Lord is this movie long, but I spaced it out, plus the plot was interesting, and the characters were good enough.
Teen, 14 years old Written byswaggyphantom January 17, 2014

Wonderful!

It's a great movie with extremely catchy tunes, loveable characters and a classic story. Parentall guidance may be needed during the last half hour or so depending on the child. Nancy is beaten to death however you cannot actually see this so it's not that bad. Bill Sikes is shot but again it's not gory and most children would be fine with that.
Teen, 13 years old Written bymannymateo10isback February 10, 2011
i saw it at school and it was a wonderful movie ive ever seen, i thought it was gonna be boring, but its not, it got a bit more fun musical than ever... the songs i like in this movie is where they all sing consider yourself, theres nothin bad but one bad message is that villains remain villains and villains can change... there are some thrills like bill kills nancy and bill got a shotgun at the end, oliver runs in peril, and there are plenty of perils also, one bad word "a--" is said once in this rated g movie... i will recommend 8 years and up should watch too cause its a good movie, they may get bored when there are talking parts in this though
Teen, 17 years old Written bySophxo February 12, 2014

WOW!

I only put the age 7 because if your child is very mature and watches horror or related movies to this, I think it would be a AWESOME movie. I heard my sister in (Year 3) Or KS2. Watched this in her school! There is a bit or swearing but its not that much of a issue in my opinion! It can be scary for sensitive kids that are age 7-9 But really! It shouldnt be such a problem. The last about 30 minutes, I would take off because i think bill kills his wife? And it has the message that a bad person can never change, but the other parts are great ;) I also enjoy the songs, they are great too!
Kid, 11 years old June 28, 2012

"A fun family movie!"

Oliver is a great movie for kids 8 and up, but also can be good for mature 7 year olds. The story is based on the book, "Oliver Twist," a classic tale written by Charles Dickens. In the movie, 13 years old orpahan Oliver Twist is forced to work at a funeral home after being kicked out of the orphanage when he asked for more food. He manags to escpape, and runs into a pickpocket who lets Oliver stay with him. To find out the end, I reccomend watching the movie. Oliver is a great role model for many kids. He's brave, confident, strong, and skillful. But the gang of pickpockets Oliver stays with are horrible role model: they all drink and smoke. Overall, I think this is a fun, family movie and I do reccomend it.
Kid, 12 years old January 14, 2012

Fantastic movie

It's a great movie and it has great music, but some people died in the movie.
Kid, 7 years old February 20, 2013

Watch out for violence and scariness.

I think it was an okay movie. One of the main characters got killed and it was probably the scariest movie I've ever watched. There were some funny parts like scenes with Oliver's friend the Artful Dodger.
Kid, 12 years old November 5, 2012

BEST MUSICAL EVER!!!

This is a wonderful musical, and anyone who watches this movie because of Common Sense or for any other reason needs to watch the live musical too! There is violence in the movie, a woman is beaten to death, slapped, and badly treated by her boyfriend. The boyfriend (Bill Sykes) also attempts to drown his dog and kidnap a child, he also almost beats the child. SPOLIER! In the end Bill also ends up getting shot while trying to escape, and he ends up hanging from above a street by a rope. It would be quite disturbing to younger viewers SPOILER END!. There is also some foul language like b*tch, and some of the scences are shot in a bar with numerous drunk and drinking people. It may sound violent, but this is one of the best musicals I have ever seen, and probably every will see. I recommend this for EVERYONE!
Kid, 10 years old March 24, 2011
its..... CUTE
Teen, 15 years old Written byLuka Keats February 1, 2016

Definitely not appropriate for young Children

This Film has spectacular Musical Scenes and great Characters but it does contain material and scenes that are not ok for young Children. This Movie should be ok for ages 11 and up. I don't understand at all why it was rated G. It should of been rated PG. This Film is not really family friendly as well although some families might enjoy watching it together. There is also a brutal scene when Bill Sikes beats Nancy to death but only the Cane and Nancy's legs can be seen.
Teen, 17 years old Written byannabeth1998 March 17, 2016

Excellent Musical

This musical has some of my favorite songs ever. The boy who plays Oliver is very cute. It IS too scary for young children, but it is a classic and the music is wonderful for all ages. If you think the rating is too low, just remember that this is a very old musical and they rated things differently back then.
Teen, 17 years old Written byToBreakFate December 4, 2010

what?? 4 stars???

Jeez, this needs 5 stars. it's a masterpiece with loads of fun and catchy songs, and enough violence to get thrills from, but enough not to scare young kids. well, it might...