Parent reviews for Once Upon a Mattress

Once Upon a Mattress Poster Image

No reviews yet.

Add your rating

Colorful, fun musical with one “skip” scene

Colorful musical with bright costumes and fun (but mostly forgettable) songs. Carol Burnett is a hoot! Watched with my 6 and 10 year olds. Parents should know that the story starts out with a Maid and a Knight learning that they are pregnant. However, no one in the kingdom can get married until the 40 year old virgin Prince marries first, and that is not going to happen as long as the Prince’s mother, the overprotective Queen, has her way. Everything was fine for my kids except my wife and I found ourselves a little surprised by the “Dad, I’m getting married in the morning and I think it’s time we had that ‘talk’” scene. What followed was a 5 minute song with the “mute” King teaching about the birds and the bees, through symbolic pantomime, while the Prince narrated through song. Nothing graphic or grotesque, but weren’t quite ready to spring that on them. My kids love charades, so they were paying close attention. However, other than that one scene, there are only a few “stage“ kisses.

Lighthearted and silly romp

This is a fluffy, lighthearted musical romp — a silly story with goofy jokes and catchy songs. My 11-year-old son thought it was hilarious, laughing aloud at lots of jokes (both verbal and musical) and didn’t want to stop watching once we had started viewing. Really fairly wholesome way to spend an evening.

Boring and very confusing

I brought this movie not long ago and it is not worth the money, it is bland, boring, completely idiotic and void of substance. There is nothing good about this but there is a whole lot bad. The acting is atrocious, the camera nearly made me sick, the costumes look cheap and most importantly the songs are awful! Since it is a musical I was extremely disappointed I love musicals and it is a stain on the name ‘musical adaptation’ waste of time waste of money. The main feeling I felt while watching was rage and confusion. Wouldn’t recommend this to ANYONE not even my worst enemy! So do yourself a favour and avoid the immense pain me and my children had to go through.