Parent reviews for One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

Classic and brilliant, but violence makes it teens only.

Adult Written bygrapelover46 September 12, 2012

Very good film from 1975.

Adult Written byinstarnight786 April 9, 2008
Parent of a 14 year old Written bycousinc June 4, 2010

Not for under 18.

Interesting that the official review counts statuory rape of a 15 yo as a "petty" crime. In my book it is child abuse, and I'm pretty sure most parents would agree. The main character both admits to and justifies this act, and the story line is written to make this child abuse petty and excusible as long as the adult involved is cool. Along with over 25 f-words, most of them used in a sexual context, in my book this movie is inappropriate for all minors and totally inapproriate in an educational setting.

Adult Written byTimTheTVGuy October 24, 2012

Not for kids,but AWESOME!

I love how much action is in this movie.It's really cool! HOWEVER,this is an R rated movie,so don't let your kids watch it.But teens and adults can watch it.
Parent of a 13 year old Written bySugar63 May 29, 2010
Gotta say that I am pretty liberal but when I found out this film was usual viewing for high school kids, I was shocked. First of all, rated R is rated R and that is "under 17 not admitted without parent or guardian". I will not be there and I do not consider most teacher's in our high school guardian material. Our school system has no dress code, cell phone rules (kids text to facebook during class) or language policy. I don't need my kid being told that this movie and the language are perfectly acceptable. GREAT movie but NOT for high schools..period.

Adult Written bymovieraterperson March 15, 2013

Nicholson did a great job!

Movie contains violence, and lots of swearing and even some sexuality and drinking.

Parent of a 3, 7, 9, 14, 16, and 17 year old Written bygreatperson November 20, 2012

Lots of strong curse words, although this 1975 movie is brilliant.

Adult Written byJEDI micah October 24, 2012

Classic Jack Nicholson movie not meant for kids.

This is one of the few R rated movies I've seen so far (well, I had to watch it with my English class in 11th grade!) and one thing that impressed me is the acting! Jack Nicholson, along with Christopher Lloyd and others, did a fantastic job with their acting! Violence, strong language, and some sex are the big issues for parents in this movie. So don't show this to your kids!

Adult Written bypepsifan32532 July 14, 2012

It's great.

Violent content!!!!!!

Adult Written bycian93 April 27, 2011

Great movie, suitable for 12+

Excellent film, one of the best of all time. Does not deserve its 16+ rating, although most kids won't appreciate something like this anyway. Any film fans aged 12 or over should be fine.
Adult Written byREDSOX101 July 27, 2009

Cuckoo's Nest

One flew over the cuckoo's nest is a great movie for family as long as your kids are above ten. Jack Nicholson gives a great performance as R.P. McMurphy. The movie will make you happy and it will make you sad. But all in all it's a great movie. 5/5

Parent of a 13 and 15 year old Written byrdnewman May 29, 2010

Great opportunity to work through Ken Kasay's work

Had son read the book first, discussed it, and then watched the movie together. Great movie, but helps to discuss together.

Adult Written byBobland July 17, 2018

Amazing and interesting

Lives up to the book.

Adult Written byMike H. July 3, 2018

Amazing commentary on society

Despite the often grim tone, the moral takeaway is one necessary for all.

Parent of a 7 and 12 year old Written byKeegs M August 4, 2017

Sad and Unfortunate Look at Mental Illness and Its Effects on a Person

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest is an instant classic. The story follows McMurphy after being transferred into a psychiatric ward for evaluation. This film comments on the tyrannical and abusive domain of a psychiatric ward. The film also comments on the acts of lobotomy and ECT. After McMurphy meets Nurse Ratchet, the head of the ward, he uses his irritating and extroverted personality to show his fellow patients how life should be full of adventure and not be limited because of a medical condition. The ending is difficult and heartbreaking, which makes the film all the more beautiful. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest contains a bit of violence, a lot of profanity, and implied sexual activity. Some teens may need a bit of clarification with some parts, but they will definitely enjoy it. This film is great and I recommend to all.

Adult Written byBestPicture1996 May 18, 2016

Nicholson is the ultimate anti-authority antihero

When he's a bad guy, you love him (see "Batman," "Shining.") When he's a good guy, you love him (see "About Schmidt.") Even when he's a cranky homophobe, you love him (see "As Good As It Gets.") You can't hate Jack Nicholson, it's just impossible, when he comes in with that devilish grin, you know you're in for a good time. This film blew me away, and it's not because it's a big spectacle. Milos Forman himself said he took a very naturalistic approach to filming. For those who haven't seen this movie since it came out in '75, you might've forgotten that it's HILARIOUS in its first act, where Nicholson's R.P. McMurphy starts raising Cain in the mental asylum he sent himself to to get away from the work farm he was sentenced to. But it's very evident that Mac is far from crazy: he's a lowlife genius, always starting bets, getting everyone riled up. But here's the thing: he's got a heart as big as the basketball he tries to get Chief to dunk. And after so many years of seeing Louise Fletcher's Nurse Ratched as one of the all-time greatest villains, I was expecting an extremely sinister woman who practiced corrupt deeds. Ratched isn't like that at all. She is Mac's antithesis, demanding order and running things in the exact same way she's been doing them for years until he showed up. It's not a showy performance at all, but she's quite chilling and quietly tyrannical. In a small review like this, I can't even begin to go into the cast, maybe the finest talent assembled for an all-male supporting ensemble ever, with young Christopher Lloyd and Danny DeVito destroying their roles, especially the latter, who made me laugh with just about every oblivious smile he created. My only complaint is that it felt a little long, and some things that happened were convenient for the movie's sake. But this is the type of the movie that'd never get made today for a wide release: a drama about people. No special effects. No gimmicks. Just outstanding acting, directing and a stellar script. It might be Nicholson's defining performance.

Adult Written byMmbegaye April 21, 2016

CHIEF!!!

One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest in my opinion is a protest film that attacks the stereotypes and the failures of mental health systems. The film in the beginning is a bit hard to watch, but is powerful in messages that makes it a classic film. One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest is a very very very complex film, about I say this because it is about a whole new world that society often tends to block out, it is about complex people misidentified to stay the least. It transcends A subject matter and represent more modern problems. The film had both criticized those who shun people from society for their difference. The characters are both tragic, brilliant, and heartwarming to see because it showed how a group of neglected and forgotten people can band together, when society turns its back on them. My favorite aspect of the film is the treatment of the characters. Many of the characters in this film are connected because of mental health issues, and they are supposingly "rejects," but the characters are all different characters, and not just stereotypes. The movie contains angry messages pointing at methods of treatment for the mentally ill, and is an extremely powerful. By the end the audience should realize that they have watched a film, exemplifying the tragedy of societies failing system. Which really makes you think. One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest is a powerful, social protest film that uses great characters to send it’s message. It’s also one of the few movies that can tackle a tough subject with calmness, respect, it’s just in general a great film.

Adult Written by_03Littlebear12_ April 20, 2016
I give the movie 4 stars because it has a great plot as the main character faces a situation between himself and the friends he made on the way. As he wants others to believe that he is insane but there's another reason you have to watch to find out. All he does for the others is giving them freedom and giving them a reason to have some fun once in a while. The movie is great with amazing characters that fit the part and will give you a kick out of it when you watch it. It's worth watching from the start to the end. I like how the movie went from a strange man entering the story and plays a big part. I like the basketball scene when he gets everyone to come together and have a little fun. This is a great movie that will tear you up in the end.

Adult Written byCheescake.eater2016 April 5, 2016

Flewing over

Every scene in the movie was very interesting. As the characters had really made this movie reach to one of the greastest film ever made. Every actor had a very important role in the movie. As in like the guards (warren) Mwako cumbuka and (Washington) Nathan George and of course (turkle) Scatman Grother. That was acting just for institutional clinic. The beginning of the movie was (Randale McMurphy) Jack Nicholson had just set the tone of the introduction of the movie. Then (McMurphy) Jack Nicholson was one of my favorite character I liked in the movie. It was his required treatment like how other characters were very dominant and closely watched plus what they have to say was also another thing to look at. Like the most liked characters in my opinion was all the people who worked in the institution and worked night shifts. As I would give them around of applauses for also making this film great because it set the scenes for the rest of the film was film of the Academy award for best actress Nurse (Nurse Rachet)Louise Flecker but her assistant (Nurse Pilbow) had acted more like the quiet nurse and she made act within her part along side (Nurse Rachet) Louise Flecker. As the wounded soldier from the war and many other I can name was (martini) Danny Devito, (Billy Bibbit)brad dourif, (chief bromden) will sampson, especially the chief. He was a good character and he is native america painter. Indeed he would be one of the most collective character. His acting matched is personality in the movie. Also Billy bibbit was very big role in the movie. Even though he didn't last until the film had came to an end. But you really have to watch mainly his actions. McMurphy had made this film a really big film.

Adult Written byPaul Wahlburg April 4, 2016

Adult children

Let me start by saying that one flew over the cuckoos nest is a movie that represents a lot more then what is shown. Now, I gave the film 4/5 stars because it was exceptional character development and great evolution if the story line. I like how you are dropped into this story and almost seemed confused at first but soon realize that Macmurphy has his own problems with authority and conformity, but is obviously not as insane as some of the other patients in the ward. The first therapy session was key because Macmurphy didn't say anything but instead witnissed in his own way how "bad" the other patients were. As the movie plays out, you can see that Macmurphy starts to become the main subject of the therapy sessions and it seems to be comforting to other patients because he has a fued with Ms. ratched. Ms ratched also plays a key part in the movie because although she doesn't have any problems you can see that she can "shaped" the other patients to comply with her Stern and harsh attitude. Throughout the movie I saw the opportunity where Macmurphy could just run off alone and try to escape but instead tried to help the other patients get over their personal anxieties. The prime example in talking about is of course when they take off on the yatch and go fishing. Although they were deviating, they all improved a little after that incident, and you can see in their therapy sessions more patients become involved and start to get over some of their little problems that have been building up as a result of being in the mental hospital. I think that my favorite character is who Macmurphy calls "chief" he acts mute and has been ever since he got there. Macmurphy sees that he's easy to talk to because he doesn't talk back, but you can see that chief understands Macmurphy especially when they are playing basketball and he is cooperating. Then eventually you see him open up to Macmurphy exposing his secret. But Macmurphy understands and is a release for chief to talk about why he's in there and notice he isn't as crazy either but doesn't have much of a choice. There's so many different meanings to pick out of the movie and that's why I rated it so high. This is a must watch for teenagers and adults.