Parent reviews for One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

Classic and brilliant, but violence makes it teens only.

Adult Written bygrapelover46 September 12, 2012

Very good film from 1975.

Adult Written byinstarnight786 April 9, 2008
Parent of a 14 year old Written bycousinc June 4, 2010

Not for under 18.

Interesting that the official review counts statuory rape of a 15 yo as a "petty" crime. In my book it is child abuse, and I'm pretty sure most parents would agree. The main character both admits to and justifies this act, and the story line is written to make this child abuse petty and excusible as long as the adult involved is cool. Along with over 25 f-words, most of them used in a sexual context, in my book this movie is inappropriate for all minors and totally inapproriate in an educational setting.

Adult Written byTimTheTVGuy October 24, 2012

Not for kids,but AWESOME!

I love how much action is in this movie.It's really cool! HOWEVER,this is an R rated movie,so don't let your kids watch it.But teens and adults can watch it.
Parent of a 13 year old Written bySugar63 May 29, 2010
Gotta say that I am pretty liberal but when I found out this film was usual viewing for high school kids, I was shocked. First of all, rated R is rated R and that is "under 17 not admitted without parent or guardian". I will not be there and I do not consider most teacher's in our high school guardian material. Our school system has no dress code, cell phone rules (kids text to facebook during class) or language policy. I don't need my kid being told that this movie and the language are perfectly acceptable. GREAT movie but NOT for high schools..period.

Adult Written bymovieraterperson March 15, 2013

Nicholson did a great job!

Movie contains violence, and lots of swearing and even some sexuality and drinking.

Parent of a 3, 7, 9, 14, 16, and 17 year old Written bygreatperson November 20, 2012

Lots of strong curse words, although this 1975 movie is brilliant.

Adult Written byJEDI micah October 24, 2012

Classic Jack Nicholson movie not meant for kids.

This is one of the few R rated movies I've seen so far (well, I had to watch it with my English class in 11th grade!) and one thing that impressed me is the acting! Jack Nicholson, along with Christopher Lloyd and others, did a fantastic job with their acting! Violence, strong language, and some sex are the big issues for parents in this movie. So don't show this to your kids!

Adult Written bypepsifan32532 July 14, 2012

It's great.

Violent content!!!!!!

Adult Written bycian93 April 27, 2011

Great movie, suitable for 12+

Excellent film, one of the best of all time. Does not deserve its 16+ rating, although most kids won't appreciate something like this anyway. Any film fans aged 12 or over should be fine.
Adult Written byREDSOX101 July 27, 2009

Cuckoo's Nest

One flew over the cuckoo's nest is a great movie for family as long as your kids are above ten. Jack Nicholson gives a great performance as R.P. McMurphy. The movie will make you happy and it will make you sad. But all in all it's a great movie. 5/5

Parent of a 13 and 15 year old Written byrdnewman May 29, 2010

Great opportunity to work through Ken Kasay's work

Had son read the book first, discussed it, and then watched the movie together. Great movie, but helps to discuss together.

Adult Written byBestPicture1996 May 18, 2016

Nicholson is the ultimate anti-authority antihero

When he's a bad guy, you love him (see "Batman," "Shining.") When he's a good guy, you love him (see "About Schmidt.") Even when he's a cranky homophobe, you love him (see "As Good As It Gets.") You can't hate Jack Nicholson, it's just impossible, when he comes in with that devilish grin, you know you're in for a good time. This film blew me away, and it's not because it's a big spectacle. Milos Forman himself said he took a very naturalistic approach to filming. For those who haven't seen this movie since it came out in '75, you might've forgotten that it's HILARIOUS in its first act, where Nicholson's R.P. McMurphy starts raising Cain in the mental asylum he sent himself to to get away from the work farm he was sentenced to. But it's very evident that Mac is far from crazy: he's a lowlife genius, always starting bets, getting everyone riled up. But here's the thing: he's got a heart as big as the basketball he tries to get Chief to dunk. And after so many years of seeing Louise Fletcher's Nurse Ratched as one of the all-time greatest villains, I was expecting an extremely sinister woman who practiced corrupt deeds. Ratched isn't like that at all. She is Mac's antithesis, demanding order and running things in the exact same way she's been doing them for years until he showed up. It's not a showy performance at all, but she's quite chilling and quietly tyrannical. In a small review like this, I can't even begin to go into the cast, maybe the finest talent assembled for an all-male supporting ensemble ever, with young Christopher Lloyd and Danny DeVito destroying their roles, especially the latter, who made me laugh with just about every oblivious smile he created. My only complaint is that it felt a little long, and some things that happened were convenient for the movie's sake. But this is the type of the movie that'd never get made today for a wide release: a drama about people. No special effects. No gimmicks. Just outstanding acting, directing and a stellar script. It might be Nicholson's defining performance.

Parent of a 7 and 12 year old Written byKeegs M August 4, 2017

Sad and Unfortunate Look at Mental Illness and Its Effects on a Person

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest is an instant classic. The story follows McMurphy after being transferred into a psychiatric ward for evaluation. This film comments on the tyrannical and abusive domain of a psychiatric ward. The film also comments on the acts of lobotomy and ECT. After McMurphy meets Nurse Ratchet, the head of the ward, he uses his irritating and extroverted personality to show his fellow patients how life should be full of adventure and not be limited because of a medical condition. The ending is difficult and heartbreaking, which makes the film all the more beautiful. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest contains a bit of violence, a lot of profanity, and implied sexual activity. Some teens may need a bit of clarification with some parts, but they will definitely enjoy it. This film is great and I recommend to all.

Adult Written byPhillyD August 23, 2018

An amazing yet violent classic.

This film is definitely worth watching. Mcmurphy is a great role model despite his obnoxious behaviour. It contains strong violence but it is quite infrequent. The profanity is quite high and there is a depressing and cynical aurora towards this film. There is a brief side view of a womens breast and some flirtations between characters. Characters smoke alot during this film. Personally i would say it's fine for mature 13 year olds and up.

Adult Written bymoviefan1980s July 27, 2018

Excellent film that is for older teens and adults.

"One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" is one of the best films ever created and deserved all the Academy Awards it won, including Best Picture, Best Actor (Jack Nicholson), Best Actress (Louise Fletcher), Best Director (Milos Forman), and Best Adapted Screenplay (based on the novel by Ken Kesey). A film that's for older teens and adults, due to violence, language, sex, nudity, and drinking.

Adult Written byBobland July 17, 2018

Amazing and interesting

Lives up to the book.

Adult Written byMike H. July 3, 2018

Amazing commentary on society

Despite the often grim tone, the moral takeaway is one necessary for all.

Adult Written byMmbegaye April 21, 2016

CHIEF!!!

One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest in my opinion is a protest film that attacks the stereotypes and the failures of mental health systems. The film in the beginning is a bit hard to watch, but is powerful in messages that makes it a classic film. One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest is a very very very complex film, about I say this because it is about a whole new world that society often tends to block out, it is about complex people misidentified to stay the least. It transcends A subject matter and represent more modern problems. The film had both criticized those who shun people from society for their difference. The characters are both tragic, brilliant, and heartwarming to see because it showed how a group of neglected and forgotten people can band together, when society turns its back on them. My favorite aspect of the film is the treatment of the characters. Many of the characters in this film are connected because of mental health issues, and they are supposingly "rejects," but the characters are all different characters, and not just stereotypes. The movie contains angry messages pointing at methods of treatment for the mentally ill, and is an extremely powerful. By the end the audience should realize that they have watched a film, exemplifying the tragedy of societies failing system. Which really makes you think. One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest is a powerful, social protest film that uses great characters to send it’s message. It’s also one of the few movies that can tackle a tough subject with calmness, respect, it’s just in general a great film.

Adult Written by_03Littlebear12_ April 20, 2016
I give the movie 4 stars because it has a great plot as the main character faces a situation between himself and the friends he made on the way. As he wants others to believe that he is insane but there's another reason you have to watch to find out. All he does for the others is giving them freedom and giving them a reason to have some fun once in a while. The movie is great with amazing characters that fit the part and will give you a kick out of it when you watch it. It's worth watching from the start to the end. I like how the movie went from a strange man entering the story and plays a big part. I like the basketball scene when he gets everyone to come together and have a little fun. This is a great movie that will tear you up in the end.